Insurance History - Taking Bike Off | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance History - Taking Bike Off

mdeg

I am thinking about taking my street motorcycle off my policy and selling it as I don’t use it a lot but am worried about my insurance history in doing so if I were to buy another bike in the future. I have heard having gaps in insurance history can hurt your rates going forward.

Do dirt bikes count towards insurance history? I have one on my policy. Do scooters count? I was thinking about getting a cheaper scooter for around town - Honda Ruckus or Vespa.

I am thinking about taking my street motorcycle off my policy and selling it as I don’t use it a lot but am worried about my insurance history in doing so if I were to buy another bike in the future. I have heard having gaps in insurance history can hurt your rates going forward.

Do dirt bikes count towards insurance history? I have one on my policy. Do scooters count? I was thinking about getting a cheaper scooter for around town - Honda Ruckus or Vespa.
road plated vehicles only. you need to check with your insurer, they are all different. scooters will count.

my grom was $37/month fyi

Do they care if it's plated? I always thought you can get an insurance for anything that has a vin number (plated or unplated). That said, if there is an option for parking insurance (the way they have for cars), that should also count towards insurance history, right?

Ask a buddy to put your name on his policy as a secondary rider. Smaller CC bike etc would be helpful.

You simply pay him the cost. Keeps your insurance history intact for a minimal amount.

I always thought you can get an insurance for anything that has a vin number (plated or unplated). That said, if there is an option for parking insurance (the way they have for cars), that should also count towards insurance history, right?
They want it to be theoretically on the road. To count for insurance continuity, it has to be fit, plated and valid tags. A scooter or small bike maintains continuity for minimal cost (and can be a blast).

The policy has to have liability (PL/PD), a "parking" policy isn't enough.

IIRC there is an Ontario law that says an insurance company cannot deprecate your insurance record till you have been un-insured for 24 months.

Thank you all for the responses.

My dirt bike is street plated. However, I’m not sure if insurance companies count it towards my motorcycle insurance history as it is not a factory street legal dual sport.

My dirt bike is street plated. However, I’m not sure if insurance companies count it towards my motorcycle insurance history as it is not a factory street legal dual sport.
If you have street plates and street liability insurance, I would be surprised if they cared about the VIN.

Why not simply ask your insurer what the effect will be if you uninsure the street bike and decide to reinsure it in a year or two, leaving the rest of your policy alone? Don't need to go into any details about the dirt bike being converted, etc. They should just base their response on how your policy is currently written.

road plated vehicles only. you need to check with your insurer, they are all different. scooters will count.

my grom was $37/month fyi
I tried using the NFP quoter, and even with an "Imaginary" 40 yrs of insurance coverage, the lowest rate for a 2019 Grom was $60 mth

I tried using the NFP quoter, and even with an "Imaginary" 40 yrs of insurance coverage, the lowest rate for a 2019 Grom was $60 mth
that's unfortunate.

The only online quoter I found that was accurate was TD. Any other place, you're better off calling in or emailing. Contact @NFP Moto on here - he helped me get a good rate for one of my bikes under vintage insurance (which could be another option for you if you want to pick up something REALLY old).

If you have a car do they care if you have a bike insured for insurance history (ie next bike in the future)?

I ask because when I went years with no car but I had my bike the insurance company considered me insured for the duration. Next car years later was all good.

If you have a car do they care if you have a bike insured for insurance history (ie next bike in the future)?

I ask because when I went years with no car but I had my bike the insurance company considered me insured for the duration. Next car years later was all good.
Pretty sure that only works one way. Bime keeps car insurance current but car does not keep bike insurance current.

Back
Top Bottom