Drive spocket removal | GTAMotorcycle.com

Drive spocket removal

ungoloth

Site Supporter
2019 Kaw. ZX10R the manual doesn't indicate a right or left hand thread for the drive sprocket nut. I assume it's a right hand thread. Anyone know for sure?
I placed significant torque on the nut but it won't budge.
yes I flattened the retaining washer first.
Bike is in gear and rear brake applied.

2019 Kaw. ZX10R the manual doesn't indicate a right or left hand thread for the drive sprocket nut. I assume it's a right hand thread. Anyone know for sure?
I placed significant torque on the nut but it won't budge.
yes I flattened the retaining washer first.
Bike is in gear and rear brake applied.
Had the same problem. Proper size 1/2" drive socket and an air gun was the only way. My Johnson bar wouldn't budge it. Maybe an electric impact gun, but I didn't have one then.

Had the same problem. Proper size 1/2" drive socket and an air gun was the only way. My Johnson bar wouldn't budge it. Maybe an electric impact gun, but I didn't have one then.
Thanks. Right hand thread then?

Reactions: TK4
2 feet of pipe on the johnson bar??

Where are you located? Maybe someone nearby with a 1/2" electric impact might be willing to drop by to help.

Where are you located? Maybe someone nearby with a 1/2" electric impact might be willing to drop by to help.
Yep. Many of us have an "Ugga Dugga", or "dack-dack" as they're known in Australia... always liked that one.

I've got an electric Dewalt that has never failed to perform.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Just did chain and sprockets. Depending on model, ducati front sprocket torque spec could be anywhere between 130-150 ft lbs.
Just for fun, I tried getting it off with a 3 ft breaker bar with 1 ft pipe extension, holding rear brake. Yeah right, bar deflected about 45 degrees, no budging..
Air impact gun got it off in 2 seconds.

So I tired a Johnson bar and socket with no luck.
I tried a pneumatic impact gun without success.
My son in law Is an auto mechanic and has a No ******** pneumatic impact gun.
Two rattles of the gun and then that glorious whirl sound and success.
Just waiting for a new nut and tab washer before reassembly. I
Happy apexes!

So I tired a Johnson bar and socket with no luck.
I tried a pneumatic impact gun without success.
My son in law Is an auto mechanic and has a No ******** pneumatic impact gun.
Two rattles of the gun and then that glorious whirl sound and success.
Just waiting for a new nut and tab washer before reassembly. I
Happy apexes!
Hose size makes a magical difference for impact guns. Going from 1/4" to 1/2" easily doubles the power of my gun as 1/4" drops pressure by about 50 psi when you pull the trigger. Type V fittings make a noticeable increase in power too.

Feel free to reuse copper crush washers, just be sure to anneal them before you re-use them. You SHOULD anneal new copper crush washers before you use them. (heat 'em up to red hot and quench them in water. It makes them "softer")

Back
Top Bottom