Colorado BDR anyone rode it? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Colorado BDR anyone rode it?

timtune

Site Supporter
Friends are talking about trailering to CO in June to ride this. Anyone have any input?

Just did parts of the CO BDR in July. Spent about a month in the high elevation passes along the Continental Divide as well as Silverton/Ouray area.

The summer season is very short and accommodations are very expensive. Camping takes the edge of the cost.

I've done a couple of BDRs now and unless you are hell-bent on traveling border-to-border north-to-south (or vice versa), it's actually better riding picking out passes and trails you want to hit and focus on that. For example, the COBDR covers Cinnamon Pass, but misses out on Engineer Pass directly north of it:

engineer_pass_summit-X2.jpg

If you are trailering to do a BDR, then you will have to do a loop back to the originating border again. That's not the end of the world, but I find it better to trailer to a central area (like Telluride or Ouray), set up a homebase and do passes and trails in that area sans luggage. Then pack up and move on and set up a different homebase elsewhere in the state. YMMV.

For trails/passes, my recommendation is pick off this list instead:

Has trail ratings for difficulty level. Pick 2.5 or above for max fun!

Some must-dos: Engineer, Cinnamon, Ophir, Yankee Boy, Imogene, Black Bear.

DSCN5111-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. Orig plan was park,then ride the BDR from end to end. Bragging rights are not worth riding unladen from the same camp each day. So yeah we plan to base camp it. Will look into your suggestions.

Done a few BDRs.
We like to ride them from start to finish and find a storage place near the middle.
In Colorado we store the truck & trailer here: Alma and Fairplay Storage
We did it Colorado early September in 2018 ->

In June there still can be snow in the higher altitudes.

Last edited:
Done a few BDRs.
We like to ride them from start to finish and find a storage place near the middle.
In Colorado we store the truck & trailer here: Alma and Fairplay Storage
We did it Colorado early September in 2018 ->

In June there still can be snow in the higher altitudes.
As much as I like rough camping, I like the idea of doing this ride w/o all the gear strapped on. Any issues riding fully loaded?

As much as I like rough camping, I like the idea of doing this ride w/o all the gear strapped on. Any issues riding fully loaded?
No.
When we do these rides we don't really have a set schedule or plan.
Al we have is a start/end date and a place to store the truck & trailer.
So we don't know where we'll be at the end of each day...hence the camping 😊
To me and my buddies that's part of the adventure ;)

Looks like this trip is shelved for now. Original plan was to take in the Pike's Peak race but then there was disagreement over it's high cost to camp/party up on the top of the mountain along with the huge crowds that not everyone was keen to engage with. Back to the drawing board.....

Looks like this trip is shelved for now. Original plan was to take in the Pike's Peak race but then there was disagreement over it's high cost to camp/party up on the top of the mountain along with the huge crowds that not everyone was keen to engage with. Back to the drawing board.....
Always the downside of group travel. Every new body is another opinion that can trip things up.

Back
Top Bottom