Camping Trips | GTAMotorcycle.com

Camping Trips

Renting a cabin in Calaboggie to ride trails in July. Probably a camping trip somewhere....

James Bay Road will be the biggie for me this year. But I've been known to throw the gear on the bike and head off for solo things as well. I have at least 1 week of vacay this summer that my wife doesn't have so I may very well head out east again to ride the Gaspe loop or something - there is some epic crown land camping options along the bottom end of 299 along the Salmon River where we camped with our camper a few times, but I've been itching to go back and just pitch a tent along the river instead and listen to the water all night long.

1711061728184.png

James Bay Road will be the biggie for me this year. But I've been known to throw the gear on the bike and head off for solo things as well. I have at least 1 week of vacay this summer that my wife doesn't have so I may very well head out east again to ride the Gaspe loop or something - there is some epic crown land camping options along the bottom end of 299 along the Salmon River where we camped with our camper a few times, but I've been itching to go back and just pitch a tent along the river instead and listen to the water all night long.

View attachment 66751
Can't get much better when wild camping

On my bucket list for this year is, the Blueridge Parkway, Only thing i've heard negative is no place to camp

Can't get much better when wild camping

There's some epic crown land around Canada free for the using if you're savvy enough to find it, and not afraid to travel to get to it. And in this case, back up for about a kilometer to get to that spot lol.

It's shame a lot of the easy-to-get-to spots are being totally destroyed by assh*les who are more about partying and leaving tons of trash behind then actually enjoying the experience for what it is and leaving minimumal to no trace. There's a spot north of Madoc in this situation, my daughter and I went there a few years ago and it was left a disgusting mess by many previous campers. Unfortunately this is why a lot of the easy picking locations are being shut down - Torrence Barrens is another good example of a once awesome freebie location now closed off to camping without registration ahead of time.

There's tons of really aweome equivalancies to crown land in the USA as well. My buddy and I motocamped at this little hidey-hole in a State Forest outside Watertown a few years ago, another awesome free spot squirrled away in the woods. That's his motorycycle trailer we were using as our "table".

1711062411597.png

On my bucket list for this year is, the Blueridge Parkway, Only thing i've heard negative is no place to camp

I've ridden about 80% of it's length. There are spots where camping is not far off the BRP, but there's nothing "right on" it as in many places it is indeed right on the ridge of the mountain range, hence it's name. You have to exit off and into one of the nearby towns. To be fair you've got to do this anyways for gas, food, etc, so it's no biggie. Scenery is pretty amazing. Just be sure to allow yourself enough time, it's not a fast road.

I’m doing some crown lakeside camping using the logging roads north of Lady Evelyn Smoothwater, south of Gowganda this summer, vintage DR750.

Might try the JBR on a DL650

I’m doing some crown lakeside camping using the logging roads north of Lady Evelyn Smoothwater, south of Gowganda this summer, vintage DR750.

Might try the JBR on a DL650
We were through there a few years ago. We rode Sudbury to Timmins on gravel. Lots of free camping up there. And yes some of it could be on crown land.

I do semi-annual family/friends camping trips either up around Georgian Bay or Muskoka in provincial/federal park campgrounds. I pack whatever fits it in a backpack, and the rest of the gear gets hauled up by family/friends' cages. I go ride fun roads during the day whilst they go do camping/outdoorsy things, and we'll reconvene in the evening for cookout, drinks, and social time.

We were through there a few years ago. We rode Sudbury to Timmins on gravel. Lots of free camping up there. And yes some of it could be on crown land.
I’ve done Portelance Rd between Sudbury and Timmins, and last spring 566 from Matachewan to So. Porcupine.

I’ve done a gazillion miles on sled and ATV in the areas between 11 and 144. It’s an incredible area to explore if you’re not addicted to asphalt.

Sorta kinda related to the topic at hand, I saw this today from the manufacturer of our trailer after the factory recently reopened under new ownership. That's our camper in their ad, a photo I snapped last November while out doing some winter camping at Silent Lake provincial park.

I sent them some nicer ones honestly, but apparently they liked that one lol.

1711161100508.png

You guys are mistaken about no camping directly on the BRP.

There are 8 campgrounds directly on it and many private ones right off it. I;ve ridden it end to end a bunch of times and camped right on the BRP at an NPS site and camped a bunch of times at different private places just minutes away.
For campgrounds on the BRP check out: Camping - Blue Ridge Parkway
There's also the NPS webpage itself: Camping - Blue Ridge Parkway (U.S. National Park Service)

The attached files are old maps of the BRP and Skyline Drive, which I save to my phone when I'm doing trips down there. They are about 10 years old, but should be mostly accurate. Before I started using GPS, I used to print these up, laminate them and keep them in my tank bag for my road trips down there.

I'd love to do a moto camping trip this year. I'll have 5 weeks of vacation to play with and it would be awesome to do a fall colours camping trip on the BRP and the Smoky's. Or Gaspe in the summer.

I'll be on an FZ1 unless I get the itch to change it up.

Attachments

• Map - Blue Ridge Parkway.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • Map - Skyline Drive.pdf
    479.5 KB · Views: 2
We have some friends doing regular provincial park camping at algonquin this summer, part of the family can't make t so i kinda wanna take the daughter backpacking into their backpacking trails. From what i saw, Eastern pines would be more appropriate for her level.

edit) anyone have any tips booking for backcountry there? seems like i can only email or call?!
edit2) i think i figured it out

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom