California - Pacific Coast Highway | GTAMotorcycle.com

California - Pacific Coast Highway

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
Looking for any info on riding the coast, because wife and I are signed up for the Big Sur Marathon on Sunday April 28, 2024, which itself starts near Big Sur and ends near Monterey.

We are thinking we'll fly into LA on the Friday and then head north to Big Sur to do the run on the Sunday. After that we have a max a week to ride the coast. We are doing this 2up and she's not the biggest fan of super twisty mountain roads, so we'll keep this limited to a relaxing ride along the coast. I'd ride there solo for a month long trip to hit up the interior mountain roads on another trip.

We do want to see some big trees and maybe spend a night in San Fran and maybe finish the trip by leaving out of San Diego.

Or heading north, but not sure how cold it would be along the coast at that time of year further north into Oregon and maybe towards Seattle weather permitting. Currently looking at renting the bike from Eagle Rider for a 1 way rental.

I've never been out that way before, so any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd take a look at this site.

Been to California a number of times and have used this site to map out backcountry drives (not rides unfortunately).

Sample Rides.............

Napa County, California​

Knoxville Berryessa Rd​

Central California
Highway 1​

Last edited:
I'd take a look at this site.

Been to California a number of times and have used this site to map out backcountry drives (not rides unfortunately).

Sample Rides.............

Napa County, California​

Knoxville Berryessa Rd​

Central California​

Highway 1​

Amazing and thank you!

The most famous section of 101 (PCH) is Big Sur, the stretch between Los Angeles and San Francisco. It runs right next to the coast, so it has amazing views of the Pacific Ocean, especially when it climbs up high and you can look over the edge.

Unfortunately, this is also the most crowded section of 101. Highly recommended you avoid on weekends in the summer.

There are twistier sections north of SF, but it is further away from the coast so you don't as nice views.

Some of the must-dos around LA and the Angeles Crest Highway as well as 33 from Ventura, it gets really good north of Ojai through the Los Padres NF.

DSCN7420-X3.jpg

Not super twisty along the ocean - but stunning views.
Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at Oct, 15    2023    8.31.20 PM.jpg

Cold current can bring heavy fog and very chilly. You can see the fog lurking

Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at Oct, 15    2023    8.28.30 PM.jpg
Traffic can be hectic and dangerous passing.
Why not fly into San Fran instead.???..much nicer and riding north of San Fran inland can be lovely tho some got burned out. You are not far out of Yosemite and also Mount St Helens.

There is a lovely place at Big Sur

Saw this note
Highway 1 is currently closed 15 miles South of us due to mudslides. You can access us on Highway 1 through the Monterey/Carmel area. Please call us or email us at info@bigsurcamp.com if you have any questions.
Nother reason to go via San Fran plus the Science Center is superb..

Seattle is wonderful. ride the Monorail and do the Space Tower plus the scifi museum.
Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at Oct, 15    2023    9.03.28 PM.jpgMount Ranier on a rare clear day...if that sucker goes off - kiss a lot of people goodbye...its HUGE.

Last edited:
Going into San Fran from the south there is a road that follows the top of the mountains so that you can see the bay on one side and the ocean on the other. There are some large trees and twisties on the way up. I did it on a fully loaded roadglide 2up no problem and you are far more experienced then me.

When I lived in Edmonton I rode the Coast Hi-way several times.
Only did San Diego to LA once (in camperized van) back in 2005 and that was between Christmas and New Years
Buitiful road but a lot of traffic.
The best trees are in Northern California near the Oregon border.
Redwoods like rain, a lot of rain!
The weather should be decent in Southern California at that time of year but keep in mind the Pacific Ocean is COLD.
Temperatures can vary between the ocean front and just a few kilometers inland.
Also remember the lirics of the song It Never Rains in Southern California

"Seems it never rains in southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It never rains in California
But girl, don't they warn ya?
It pours, man, it pours"

The major roads are made of cement and have rain grooves in them that can be fun.
Hwy 101 usually has good pavement.
Every so often a secion of it will fall into the ocean.
I would recommend layered clothing and rain gear.
Enough negative! It is a wonderful ride.

Many of the roads that conect the Coast to the Interior are fun but take you to higher altitudes.

Back
Top Bottom