Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 477 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

At the end of a lease, a vehicle is inspected for wear and or damage. How likely is the battery going to be due for replacement?
Almost zero percent chance. Especially on a lease with minimal kilometers. Aside from a few stinkers like the Leaf, battery replacements outside of warranty should be required less frequently than replacement ICE engines.

At the end of a lease, a vehicle is inspected for wear and or damage. How likely is the battery going to be due for replacement?
I'm almost tempted to lease a Bolt or Mach-E for 2-3 years, and then just use it for the time while the tech continues moves forward.

But I've never leased a car so still not sure which way to go, it's time for a discussion with an accountant.

Almost zero percent chance. Especially on a lease with minimal kilometers. Aside from a few stinkers like the Leaf, battery replacements outside of warranty should be required less frequently than replacement ICE engines.
I'd like to see some supporting evidence on that.

Considering most engines outlast the cars that they are in now-a-days.

When the engine in my Nissan Stanza died I got a replacement for $600 from a scrap yard and installed for 1K at the dealership (parts and labour were at cost, family discount mind you)

Last edited:
From where? That's the hard part. I don't know what a trusted source would be yet alone whether they provide that data publicly (and would a source have information on both batteries and ICE? Two separate sources may show a large difference due to data set or analysis). There is a ton of crap data easily found but it is garbage and based on fear and ignorance.

The media likes to blow up stories where a battery replacement is required but they do a complete crap job of the stories. You wouldn't go to a dealership for a new engine for your out of warranty ICE vehicle, you sure as hell shouldn't be going to a dealership for an out of warranty battery replacement. Given how big the media likes to blow up the story and how relatively few make the news, I don't think many battery replacements are required.

Anecdotally, I know of far more people that have had to replace ICE engines than batteries (I know of one but not the story on why the replacement was required). I know far more people with ICE vehicles than BEV's though so that's not great data either.

Like I said in post 9521, the Leaf sucks hard. Prius had battery issues if you had a pet in the car. Both relied on air-cooled batteries. Vehicles with liquid-cooled batteries don't seem to suffer a battery failure often and after years of use people are still getting 90%+ of original range out of them.

Pretty low chance IMO as a new vehicle lease is usually three to four year range. Depending on mileage driven the battery is still probably a warranty item for this period vs a consumables like tires, brakes, cosmetics, etc. Ignoring blatant abuse which is also an issue with ICE if it denies warranty. Even if not under warranty by then it is still well within the expected usable lifespan of the battery.

Or to be specific, at this point in time, I see the risk being no greater than ICE.

I'm almost tempted to lease a Bolt or Mach-E for 2-3 years, and then just use it for the time while the tech continues moves forward.

But I've never leased a car so still not sure which way to go, it's time for a discussion with an accountant.
Normally I am a buy it not lease it guy due to the true economics (I know there are exceptions/corner cases) but for a technology that is still advancing at a decent rate I would consider it. I don't expect a total game changer in that time frame but advancements none-the-less. As the tech progresses that curve will continue to flatten with time.

I know a few EV owners that want to upgrade for this very reason (and for them range). Regret that they have the one they have now not that they have an EV.

Last edited:

Considering most engines outlast the cars that they are in now-a-days.

When the engine in my Nissan Stanza died I got a replacement for $600 from a scrap yard and installed for 1K at the dealership (parts and labour were at cost, family discount mind you)
The context was a lease, I also see no risk difference in that time frame between EV and ICE.

Now in the context of a 15/20 year old beater, time will tell how that all works out. We are not there at scale yet to really know.

Today I had a brief conversation with an older gentleman who told me that EVs take 3 hours to charge at a fast-charger and you can only drive for an hour after charging them.

"Umm, I have one, it's right over there, and that ain't how it is."

It's unbelievable how these people believe the FUD spouted online by people who have no idea what they are talking about, and don't listen to someone who actually owns one.

It's unbelievable how these people believe the FUD spouted online by people who have no idea what they are talking about, and don't listen to someone who actually owns one.
Is it really that unbelievable these days? I'm not so sure we can keep saying that. :cry:

Today I had a brief conversation with an older gentleman who told me that EVs take 3 hours to charge at a fast-charger and you can only drive for an hour after charging them.

My father-in-law is a big fan of that Scotty Kilmer idiot on YouTube, and is fond of parroting his take that EV's are useless, will never take off, and are a dead-end technology. My in-laws have an apartment in our house, and he's also prone to storming upstairs in a rage that Justin Trudeau is hawking Bitcoin after seeing a deepfake ad on YouTube, so his internet BS detector isn't finely tuned...

Unfortunately that applies to a lot things these days.
I recall disinformation on maxi-scoots by those that had never ridden let alone owned them. :rolleyes:
Computers, cars even hearing aids....the amount of disinformation on line is very hard to sift through.....and EVS ??!!!crumb_head_explode.jpg

EV's by law have an 8 year warranty on the battery and electric drivetrain, way longer than the standard bumper to bumper warranty of 3 years typically.

So this is of zero concern. If after a 2-4 year lease there's any battery or drivetrain issues, it ain't your problem.

Cognitive dissonance intensifies.

I've caught a few people doing the same, spouting off nonsense they found online and just believe hook, line, sinker. I point to my car in the parking lot and say "If you want to learn some facts, talk to someone who actually owns one - want to come see mine?" That always shuts them up.

Back
Top Bottom