Continue......or pack it in? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Continue......or pack it in?

Normal riders just shake it off and keep going, but you're having neurotic episodes, stressing out, anxiety every time you look at the bike.

Entertain me. Define normal. Unless your post was sarcastic.

The longer the time passes before you get back on the bike the worse your confidence will be. If you had fixed the bike and gotten back to riding right away this would be a non issue.

Fix the bike and go for a small ride, somewhere close, roads you know well, do this a few times and then go for a long ride upnorth. If after that you are still not feeling it, then pack it in and sell the bike.

Obligation to family also includes keeping yourself happy and motivated in life and if that includes riding then your obligation to your family includes continuing to ride.

I haven't ridden since I had a low-side on some gravel in July 2016. Bike suffered some minor damage, but I was able to ride it home from near Burleigh Falls......I parked it in the garage and it sits in the same condition today. I must confess to being truly on the fence about my riding future. I walk by the bike in the garage daily and vacillate between "Geez....I really need to get this thing fixed and get back out there. I miss riding so much" and "Geez....I really need to get this thing fixed so I can get maximum return in a sale. My riding days are over". A bit of background.....I've only been riding since June 2011; I'm 61, married, with a 16-year-old son who is just starting to drive. My bike is a 2011 GSX-R750 with a few minor mods....I absolutely love it and can't even think of riding any other type of bike. My friends, family and riding buddies say "why don't you get yourself a nice cruiser....much safer and more appropriate for someone your age". I say BS.....not for me; no interest at all; I would sooner quit riding than switch to something like that. In honesty, I don't think I'm a "typical" 61-year-old; I'm still fairly fit and sharp; I don't feel that a rest home is in my near future.

In truth, my confidence is somewhat shot; and my sense of mortality and obligation to my family has never been greater. Reading about all the recent fatalities and knuckleheads out there is not helping. This is my second crash.....what's that saying "3 strikes and you're out"? I think I already have an answer in my head, but I'm trying to put it off as long as possible. I really don't expect forum comments to sway me one way or the other.....just curious what the opinions are out there.

Not just your feelings but you have to assess whether you have the street smarts to survive riding on the streets. Situational awareness, threat identification and reaction, etc.

Same as for driving a car, but collisions when you are on your bike are much less forgiving.

Based upon your own assessment of your 'street smarts' you can then make a decision to accept the risk or avoid the risk.

油井緋色;2523820 said:
Entertain me. Define normal. Unless your post was sarcastic.

Yup. Some guys just aren't cut out for it. It's times like this we separate the men from the boys. Accidents have a way of doing that. There's these cake eating snowflakes who wipe out, then tremble with fear every time they look at their bike in the garage. Then there's the normal rider - the natural - born to wail on that throttle, who gets up and rides into the sunset like nothing happened, theme song from High Plains Drifter playing in the background. If that isn't you, it's time to pack it in and hide behind your wife.

Yup. Some guys just aren't cut out for it. It's times like this we separate the men from the boys. Accidents have a way of doing that. There's these cake eating snowflakes who wipe out, then tremble with fear every time they look at their bike in the garage. Then there's the normal rider - the natural - born to wail on that throttle, who gets up and rides into the sunset like nothing happened, theme song from High Plains Drifter playing in the background. If that isn't you, it's time to pack it in and hide behind your wife.

Can somebody else with less ego rip this apart? I'd like to refrain from infraction points.

Just out of curiosity though: what is the worst crash you've had, and how often do you go to race tracks?

油井緋色;2523885 said:
Can somebody else with less ego rip this apart? I'd like to refrain from infraction points.

Just out of curiosity though: what is the worst crash you've had, and how often do you go to race tracks?

Well there's a bit of an in between but most guys aren't traumatized from a crash. Maybe they are a bit but not to the point of having flash backs and ptsd.

OP, sounds like you've made up your mind. Sell the bike and find something else that actually makes you happy.

I had a small off road excursion at a pretty good speed earlier this year. Bothered me a bit until I thought it through and realized exactly what happened and more importantly what I did wrong. Quitting riding never even crossed my mind, what I have decided to do is get an advanced riding course next year to refresh some old skills and learn some new ones.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

油井緋色;2523885 said:

Whoa. Looks like I struck a nerve with Einstein.

Whoa. Looks like I struck a nerve with Einstein.
Could be that or the fact that you are an *******.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

If you are asking....pack it in.

Could be that or the fact that you are an *******.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Could be true, but don't get mad at me because the guy fell off his bike and ran away crying. You thinking of giving it up too?

I think we can appreciate that fact that not everyone thinks alike. It's easy to draw conclusions from our couches and post opinions.

Just because we think it, doesn't make it true.

I think the OP shared his thoughts and truly isn't sure about riding. I think some riders have doubts from time to time.

I love riding. I dream of motorcycles. But there are days.......I just don't have it in me.

@ oomis. Omar, I have no words to convey what happened to you. I can't imagine losing my wife. Let alone months of rehab.

I've lost a good friend to riding. Not a wife, or family member. But, we were close. We vacationed together. He showed me kindness and never made me feel stupid when I had no idea what I was doing. We shared cigars and whisky and swapped stories. And he was gone.

I've got 3 of my own kids, 2 step-children and a wife to consider. I love to ride. But, I have others that depend on me.

I've had some close calls.

And I don't like to ride unless I've got the right frame of mind. If I'm lacking confidence, it's the same as having a few beers. It will affect my ability to ride with the proper focus.

And that is just trying to be a responsible rider.

So, I continue to ride and enjoy it. And I can appreciate the OP questioning if they still will.

I think the first step it fixing the damage on the machine and that may lead to fixing the mind. It's one small step that can lead to another.

And if you decide to sell, it's fine. You can sell. You don't have to ride. And you and buy another bike if you want.

The decision doesn't have to be final.

You know what you get and like out of riding. And if it's not happening, don't unless you have the desire again.

Roadghost: Not enough cli·chés.

Oomis: Jesus Christ Superstar. Words fail. Hang on.

ZX600: Spot on.

ABCarr: Listen to ZX600.

Dougy: The recent release "Ennio Morricone-60 Years Of Music" is great.

Although laced with sarcasm and a healthy dose of humor there is a bit of truth to what he says. Many a rider stops riding due to crashing. It is not quite as black and white as the post indicates, most things are not. Me, for example. I have crashed on the street and on the track. Never, ever considered giving up riding. But, it always took me time to regain my confidence. If I crashed at the track and was injured I'd have to do a full day of practice after to get back to my previous lap times. So, although I'm not a snowflake I'm also not a natural... :)

油井緋色;2523885 said:

Although laced with sarcasm and a healthy dose of humor there is a bit of truth to what he says. Many a rider stops riding due to crashing. It is not quite as black and white as the post indicates, most things are not. Me, for example. I have crashed on the street and on the track. Never, ever considered giving up riding. But, it always took me time to regain my confidence. If I crashed at the track and was injured I'd have to do a full day of practice after to get back to my previous lap times. So, although I'm not a snowflake I'm also not a natural... :)

That's what I mean though; everyone reacts differently. There's no need to kick somebody down by essentially saying "hurdur derp ur not a reel riderz cuz real riderz dun fink bout quilting u fooking noobie" and projecting their insecurities all over the guy that's already down. I get the sense Roadghost isn't trying to give advice or help, he seems more to be insulting and trying to puff his chest like a pigeon without actually doing it.

Like you mentioned; you already have an answer in your head. I think you're only posting on here to vent out what's going on with your thoughts (thinking out loud I suppose). Well, the forum is listening, and they've offered you good suggestions.

I would like to say that I agree with ZX600 to go for one final ride before making a decision, but I think once you get back on, you won't be getting off :D

It will feel like.....

[video=youtube;dv13gl0a-FA?t=63]https://youtu.be/dv13gl0a-FA?t=63[/video]

Play the odds...
You have one "crash" under your belt.. What are the odds of having another?

I have a friend who survived a plane crash... She could say "I'm never flying ever again", but really... What are the chances of experiencing TWO plane crashes in a lifetime?
It can go tge other way too though... I've been riding for years and have never crashed... Odds might say I'm due for a come off...
Maybe I should pack it in?

Back
Top Bottom