Fuel economy. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fuel economy.

If your bike has a stock air filter then you will have to purchase an oem filter. If your bike has an aftermarket replacement air filter such as a k&n filter you’d just need to clean and oil it. If your bike isn’t tuned for an aftermarket air filter and you decide to put an aftermarket filter you’ll likely have to enrich the fuel mixture

Thank you for your reply. I’ll check my filter and see if it’s OEM. If it is, I’ll purchase a new one.

Rev ON

I will look into that.
But why is my gas tank only taking 16 litres instead of 20?

Rev ON
Don't forget about reserve which is usually a few liters. Also filling a tank with bike leaned over on side stand will hold slightly less then a straight up.

don't start the bike unless you're going riding
the FI runs rich when it's cold
doing that repeatedly will waste gas and does the bike no good

run another tank through it with normal riding and see if your range increases
first tank of gas for the season usually has reduced range

and like others have said, check/replace air filter

Last possibility, check your fueling. Some people tune these bike so extreme that it just gives really bad fuel economy.

Will do for sure. Where is the air filter located? Sorry, I don’t have any clue about my motorcycle.

Rev ON

I suggest you take a beginners maintenance course for your own knowledge. It doesn't mean you have to become a gearhead but bikes are different than cars. A rider has to be far more aware of what can go wrong and get it fixed before one of his only two wheels falls off.

Cars fare better in breakdowns. You can sit inside saying dry until the tow truck comes.

Don't forget about reserve which is usually a few liters.
This, when I read 16.5L filling a 20L tank that was my thought, however apparently the vulcan 900 don't have a reserve tank so that's not the case.
another thing to consider is the fact he's using "premium gas", I'm guessing 92 pump that's higher than the 87 pump needed so the higher octane could be hurting his fuel economy (or at least spending more $/L than he needs to)

Hello once again! Hope you guys enjoyed the beautiful weather today! ☀️
Alright, so I bought my 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom last month. It had 28,518 kms to be precise. The last owner had put fuel stabilizer in it for winter storage.
Almost hate to ask this but did he also fit it with loud pipes and change the fuelling to suit them?

Almost hate to ask this but did he also fit it with loud pipes and change the fuelling to suit them?

If the fuelling is setup for ~17L/100 km (14 mpg), it needs looked at again. I haven't heard of a bike with those numbers when properly set up (except a turbine bike but those don't count).

Unusual smell of gas around the bike? Did the previous owner have the tank off and not connect it back properly? I don’t know what the fuel connectors are like on the Vulcan but some bikes are primitive push fit and some have reasonably intricate “click” connectors with various valves etc. If there was an issue with this you’d smell gas with the bike parked or see fluid on bike parts or the ground.

What volume of fuel in the tank was from last year? The old fuel would have very little octane energy left in it, performance from old fuel will be pitiful.

btw: your electric fuel pump relies on the fuel reserves for cooling, is not a great idea to run with very little fuel in your tank on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Unusual smell of gas around the bike? Did the previous owner have the tank off and not connect it back properly? I don’t know what the fuel connectors are like on the Vulcan but some bikes are primitive push fit and some have reasonably intricate “click” connectors with various valves etc. If there was an issue with this you’d smell gas with the bike parked or see fluid on bike parts or the ground.

He said in a previous post that there was no leaks but who knows

What volume of fuel in the tank was from last year? The old fuel would have very little octane energy left in it, performance from old fuel will be pitiful.

btw: your electric fuel pump relies on the fuel reserves for cooling, is not a great idea to run with very little fuel in your tank on a regular basis.

I thought about that too but he said he put 16L in it that’s practically a full tank

Alright everyone. I got the answer!
I wasn’t filling the tank all the way. I would fill it up and stop as soon as the gas would start to come up. I didn’t know I had to wait until the fuel settled in the tank so I could fill more.
I appreciate all of your answers. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I only fueled up when I got the warning light. I found out what was wrong. Wasn’t filling it up all the way. Didn’t know I had to wait for the fuel to sit in the tank

Rev ON

Back
Top Bottom