Dominican republic or Cuba? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dominican republic or Cuba?

daisoman

Site Supporter
Planning a trip with the boys and we are hearing mixed reviews on where to go. We've narrowed it down to puerto plata, Punta Cana or veradero. Price is a factor for us as we want to spend less then $800.

I went to Punta Cana last year. Food and hotel was better than Cuba. But the beach and people sucked.

When I was in Cuba the previous year, Food/Hotel was average, but people and beach were way better.

Bring back some cigars :)

It's really hit and miss from my experience. The resort specifically (I'm assuming all inclusive resort trip) will be the difference. I did prefer the sand and beach of Veradero. Long beach and clear water on that side.

I assume Cuba doesn't have much parties or clubs due to the fact of communism or am I wrong?

I assume Cuba doesn't have much parties or clubs due to the fact of communism or am I wrong?
wrong...

I am going to cuba this summer.

Cuba has crap food but usually cheap entry tax...Dominican has better food and a more expensive entry tax (that bumps the prices up). Dominican 4* hotel is >>>>>than a Cuban 4* hotel. Don't go for less than 4* in Cuba. Varadero is OK but one end smells of the gas refinery.....nice beaches but that's it. Havana is fun. Holguin seemed full of crumblies when I was there. I did one amazing trip in Cuba though in an old soviet military helicopter to some fort in the town Castro was born in. That was awesome.

Dominican does have fine beaches and great snorkelling in parts. Puerta Plata is where I went and they filmed part of jurassic park on the hill/mountain just outside. You can take a cable car up it. The place is a mega resort though unless you take a local bus and head downtown. Lots of places for nightlife if you like that kind of thing.

Dominican = glitzier and better food all in all. You also get bugged left right and center by people trying to sell you crap wherever you go.
Cuba = Not as nice. Cuban 4 star = 2.5 star in Dominican. Food really isn't bad, but the accomodations simply aren't as good due to the shortfall of funding.

If you snorkel or scuba - Cuba has the second largest coral reef in the world (next to the Great Barrier in Australia) along the north shore of the Camaguey region (middle area of island).

The people in Cuba really are friendly all in all, and don't swarm you like they do in the DR. Personally, I like the fact I have more personal space, and will gladly go to Cuba again before the DR.

Don't forget - Cuba also needs proof of medical insurance when entering the country, or else you will need to purchase their insurance before you will be allowed to leave the airport. If you have travel insurance through work etc, get them to write you a letter showing proof of insurance.

What was really different for us two wheeled folks is the lack of scooter's in Punta Cana. Another friend noticed that too. In Cuba you can rent scooters for 24 hours and go as far as you want.

I rented a scooter for 24 hours and rode to Matanza. It took forever to get there becasue scooters aren't fast as our bikes.

I didn't see one scooter in Punta Cana : -(
In Varadero, you sometimes see a group of sportbikers. I saw one at Plaza America. They had CBR600RR, R6 and I think I saw some litre bikes.

Last edited:
I had a trip to Cuba last January. It was a great trip but bring lots of patience to deal with the airport - about as disorganized a cluster **** as you'll ever come across.

re: the food - I found it bland, but not bad

Last edited:
I have been to Punta Cana 6 times. Obviously I love it there. The beach is beautiful, the food is fantastic and the people are very friendly. I have not had the problems of people hounding you as some have mentioned. You can rent scooters, buggies and four wheelers there. I have seen the odd sport bike when out in the little cities. I have only stayed at 5 star resorts, so you kind of get what you pay for I think.
I have not gone to Cuba because of the bad reviews on the food. (Food is a huge part of my vacations) My mother has travelled to Cuba twice a year for the last 15 years up to about 4 years ago and she said it has really gone down hill. 4 star resort she was at ran out of food half way through her holiday. They were letting a lot of locals in at the resort she stayed at just to fill the rooms. She said it was never like that before. Beaches do look beautiful there though.
If price is an issue I think Cuba is the cheapest. Puerta Plata is cheaper than Punta Cana.
Sister just came back from VH Gran Ventana in Puerta Plata, she said it was good for the money and you are close to a little shopping area and night club that was a lot of fun.
I'm jealous.....I want to go! (How big is your suitcase? Can I fit?)
Have a good time wherever it is you choose.

Your budget makes Cuba the obvious winner.

Have fun!

Varadero! I am a picky eater and I survived...the food is not that bad...I also don't care about flat screen TVs and fancy rooms...as long as I have a clean bed which was always the case. If you are going to Cuba you should not spend too much time in your room anyway...like everyone said the beach and the people are way nicer...

Last edited:
been to both, and i will always pick Cuba over Dominican Republic. Yes the accommodations were nicer and so was the food in DM, but in the last few years the food in Cuba has skyrocketed in terms of selection and quality. In fact on Cayo Largo we stayed at a hotel that catered primarily to Italians and the food was amazing!...last two years we stayed at a hotel in Holguin and its absolutely great! This year we're going somewhere simply to try a different hotel.

Dominican Rep i was there once and never again. Constant barrage of "ma fren', ma fren' (my friend), dju kam an ceee...yeeees?? no baj, djus cee!!"

going to the beach, while on the beach, going to eat, going for a walk in the CLOSED OFF, ARMED GUARD PATROLLED HOTEL. What does that tell you about the place? We went on an ATV excursion and one stop was a "village"...sorry but for those who say Cuba is poor, it is nothing like the squalor and filth that these people lived in.

In Cuba i've visited many a town and village because i like to wander around and explore and not once have i felt threatened or uneasy. Nobody bothered me or begged me for food/money/crap.

The only issue i have with Cuba now is that the staff at hotels are getting snobby. Tipping was once a much appreciated thing, now its pretty much mandatory which i dont like. I always liked leaving clothes and toiletrys but thats not appreciated by the hotel staff anymore so i take it with me to the towns.

Also, if you do end up going to Cuba. Exchange your money into US currency and then into CUC. For some weird reason the US dollar is much stronger than the CAN. i LOL'd at EURO and Pound exhange. Those guys get murdered on the exhange.

Lol mixed reviews here too. I'll just keep an eye on prices and just pick one. I just need booze and decent food anyways.

Back
Top Bottom