Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help with Insurance Options for 2017 R6 (Fully understanding dilemma)

Be careful with Allstate. I was given an amazingly low quote for Yamaha R1 under $1500. 2 days later they tell me they cant insure me because I'm under 30. Allstate's policies have changed.

They did mention that if I insure my current motorcycle/home/auto with them this year then theyll insure a SS for me next year. Not sure if I should take their word for it. The bundle is turning out to be more expensive than other insurers.

Sent from my LG-D852 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Last edited:
So that's a yes your financing on top of crazy insurance, by all means if your cognizant of it, 500 in insurance every month + 200 in bike payments each month if you have the discretionary income

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
to avoid the interest from financing i may cash it. then just focus on insurance. just depends on what premium we will be looking at.

I payed 4k per for a 250 Ninja back in the day. Not a perfect record, but I'd imagine OP would be looking at 3500+ for a 300 these days, and given his wealth of experience, meh, it's probably worth it to spend the extra for the R6 imo.

Be careful with Allstate. I was given an amazingly low quote for Yamaha R1 under $1500. 2 days later they tell me they cant insure me because I'm under 30. Allstate's policies have changed.

They did mention that if I insure my current motorcycle/home/auto with them this year then theyll insure a SS for me next year. Not sure if I should take their word for it. The bundle is turning out to be more expensive than other insurers.

Yea gotta be careful with anyone these days. need things in writing and locked in before I believe anything anymore. Although I'll be 30 by the time I try allstate so hoping they dont change anything else by then. what i've noticed is the bundles will turn your auto to insanity and make the bike look pretty. but really its what you're paying combined that matters not individually with the bundle

I payed 4k per for a 250 Ninja back in the day. Not a perfect record, but I'd imagine OP would be looking at 3500+ for a 300 these days, and given his wealth of experience, meh, it's probably worth it to spend the extra for the R6 imo.
Hes 29 so for a 300 probably under 2k...id say 1500-2000
(I was getting 1300 for ninja 300, 2k for an r3)

Its not about his ability to ride an r6...more about the insane financial cost

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

3,500 plus for a 300cc??

Yea gotta be careful with anyone these days. need things in writing and locked in before I believe anything anymore. Although I'll be 30 by the time I try allstate so hoping they dont change anything else by then. what i've noticed is the bundles will turn your auto to insanity and make the bike look pretty. but really its what you're paying combined that matters not individually with the bundle
Yes, you're right. The reason the bundle is expensive for me is because both auto/home combined are about $700 more expensive than what I can get elsewhere.

I too will be turning 30 next year. Hoping to hop on the Allstate wagon and finally get a SS.

Please keep us posted about your situation. Good luck!

3,500 plus for a 300cc??

welcome to Ontario, where anything with a fairing is automatically a crotch rocket, and therefore subject to ridiculous rates for a new rider.

edit: bigpoppa may be right, just going off my personal experience with a single ticket, many years ago. Should check it out and see what the difference actually is. If it's substantial a 300 can be a blast if you're near any tight twisties

Last edited:
Yes, you're right. The reason the bundle is expensive for me is because both auto/home combined are about $700 more expensive than what I can get elsewhere.

I too will be turning 30 next year. Hoping to hop on the Allstate wagon and finally get a SS.

Please keep us posted about your situation. Good luck!

will do thanks!

welcome to Ontario, where anything with a fairing is automatically a crotch rocket, and therefore subject to ridiculous rates for a new rider.

edit: bigpoppa may be right, just going off my personal experience with a single ticket, many years ago. Should check it out and see what the difference actually is. If it's substantial a 300 can be a blast if you're near any tight twisties
a huge part of it is psychological. the nakeds just dont look as good as a sport. and that alone can change what your paying drastically power aside. do they only count bike tickets? or do they also look at car?

a huge part of it is psychological. the nakeds just dont look as good as a sport. and that alone can change what your paying drastically power aside. do they only count bike tickets? or do they also look at car?

nope, any ticket, car or bike. As for naked vs SS, it's hilarious, but you could probably insure an MT-10 for the same or less than that R6 lol

nope, any ticket, car or bike. As for naked vs SS, it's hilarious, but you could probably insure an MT-10 for the same or less than that R6 lol
state farm guy blew my mind yesterday. standalone for the r6 for me would be $8k plus. the 2017 fz10 he said would be $2,670. the system is completely messed. the fz10 is just as, if not more powerful than the r6 and has the same if not worse risk. how is there a 6000 dollar difference in premium regardless of insurance experience. underwriters need to rethink things

state farm guy blew my mind yesterday. standalone for the r6 for me would be $8k plus. the 2017 fz10 he said would be $2,670. the system is completely messed. the fz10 is just as, if not more powerful than the r6 and has the same if not worse risk. how is there a 6000 dollar difference in premium regardless of insurance experience. underwriters need to rethink things
The FZ10 would smoke the r6, just saying. It's the R1 motor just geared didferently.

My FZ-09 would too, to 100 mph that is. I had a 2015 cbr600rr before I bought my 2016 FZ-09. The cbr can't hold a candle to the fz. It's seriously that much quicker. I honestly thought something was wrong with my CBR after riding it a month after I bought the FZ. Nothing was, it's just how they are. Top end on the FZ is around 230, where as the r6 will be 250. Not much difference, but the R6 is the least comfortable super sport made, and the FZ is upright and comfortable to ride all day.

Obviously if you're set on the R6 you'll find this out for yourself. I was the same way with my CBR, I had to have it. It was a nice bike, great in the twisties, but wasn't comfortable in any sense of the word!

Secondly, don't finance it. Don't put collision on it either. Save yourself thousands of dollars.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The system is based on past experiences. People that ride like retards and crash primarily buy RR bikes and avoid the nakeds. People that buy nakeds are normally care less about showing off and more about riding. Obviously there are exceptions, but based on the rates, my perceptions play out statistically. They look much less at the potential risk of a bike than they do the past risk from similar bikes. For a long time (I don't think it's true anymore), insurance on fast sport touring bikes like the blackbird and ZX14 was ridiculously cheap. Don't hate the system, learn how to use it to your advantage.

The other possibility is that the FZ10 is underpriced this year because they don't realize the risk yet and after a year of paying claims it will jump to bend over prices.

And THAT is why my next bike will be a naked. Ofcourse that TORQUE also helps ;)

The FZ10 would smoke the r6, just saying. It's the R1 motor just geared didferently.

My FZ-09 would too, to 100 mph that is. I had a 2015 cbr600rr before I bought my 2016 FZ-09. The cbr can't hold a candle to the fz. It's seriously that much quicker. I honestly thought something was wrong with my CBR after riding it a month after I bought the FZ. Nothing was, it's just how they are. Top end on the FZ is around 230, where as the r6 will be 250. Not much difference, but the R6 is the least comfortable super sport made, and the FZ is upright and comfortable to ride all day.

Obviously if you're set on the R6 you'll find this out for yourself. I was the same way with my CBR, I had to have it. It was a nice bike, great in the twisties, but wasn't comfortable in any sense of the word!

Secondly, don't finance it. Don't put collision on it either. Save yourself thousands of dollars.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
All true. Although for a bike that price I think collision is wise. its also piece of mind too. You ride more comfortable. its too bad I dont have one to sit on. I'm hoping to hit a ride day and catch one to try out.

The system is based on past experiences. People that ride like retards and crash primarily buy RR bikes and avoid the nakeds. People that buy nakeds are normally care less about showing off and more about riding. Obviously there are exceptions, but based on the rates, my perceptions play out statistically. They look much less at the potential risk of a bike than they do the past risk from similar bikes. For a long time (I don't think it's true anymore), insurance on fast sport touring bikes like the blackbird and ZX14 was ridiculously cheap. Don't hate the system, learn how to use it to your advantage.

The other possibility is that the FZ10 is underpriced this year because they don't realize the risk yet and after a year of paying claims it will jump to bend over prices.
Ducati supersport also has low rating for the type of bike it is.

And THAT is why my next bike will be a naked. Ofcourse that TORQUE also helps ;)
True. I was gonna suck it up and go naked. but I cant lie. looks mean something to me. growing up watching motogp. I always wanted to own a motogp style bike. and the nakeds just aint it. great rides tho.

how about a street triple 675 or the new 2017 street triple 765(more cc and new electronic) the older version might go on sale.

how about a street triple 675 or the new 2017 street triple 765(more cc and new electronic) the older version might go on sale.
never ridden triumph before. the 765 has a nice dash. those bug eyes tho :( ... i was in Honda today inquiring about the CBR650F... such a beautiful bike in the perfect sweet spot in all aspects. I almost regret not buying it after test riding it. cause now he said they are all sold out. only ones available are in ottawa and SS Marie. not happening. that was one of my fav affordable alternates.

Back
Top Bottom