Canadian knife laws | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canadian knife laws

KRFDPSSTI

Banned
I carry a 8 inch hunting knife in my truck and have been for quite some time.
I cross the border every couple weeks and last time canadian customs (young punk) after making me go through the xray decided to go into my truck and flip through everything. He came across the knife and told me to get rid of it since its illegal. Mumbled something about anything over 4-5 inches is illegal...
I asked him where he got that information from and he replied with "Get out of here before i change my mind" which leads me to believe hes pulling facts out of his azz.

Now ive looked into this before and there is NO LENGTH limit anywhere in the canadian criminal code that i can find, only different types of knives are prohibited

(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, or
(b) any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon;

The knife is something like the one below...it has a fixed handle

MT14R1J.jpg

Anyone have any insight into this?
Come out cops, and clear this up :D

its legal, i bought my dad a kabar like the one below and he has it on him all the time.

1236_large.jpg

I think I have a machete out in the garage somewhere...didn't think it was illegal..

As for knives I thought there may have been an 8" maximum if you're carrying it on your belt.

No length limit at all just can't be concealed and can't open with one hand. You can carry a sword down the road as long as it's in the open.

No length limit at all just can't be concealed and can't open with one hand. You can carry a sword down the road as long as it's in the open.
SO then wtf was this clown talking about?
Where do they find these people...you'd think a canada customs officer would know better...

A knife isn't a weapon until used as such. A lead pipe, a fork, a piece of rope, a gun it's all the same.

They're tools, it's the operator that decides if it's a weapon or not.

A knife isn't a weapon until used as such. A lead pipe, a fork, a piece of rope, a gun it's all the same.

No kidding, but there are still certain types you cant have...

I have a Paul Chen Practical Katana that you can shave with.

Try walking around downtown Toronto and see how long the cops ignore you ? :D Or wear a large belt knife.

When I'm working in the bush I always have a Gerber LMF II and a Cold Steel or Ontario Machette.

I always carry a Swiss Army knife with a 4" lock blade,, Never had any issues

A Lot comes down to location.

lmf%202%20asek.jpg

The following types of knives are Banned in Canada

"Constant Companion", being a belt containing a blade capable of being withdrawn from the belt, with the buckle of the belt forming a handle for the blade

Any knife commonly known as a "push-dagger" that is designed in such a fashion that the handle is placed perpendicular to the main cutting edge of the blade; and any other similar device but not including the aboriginal "ulu" knife.a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife.

A lot comes down to intention.
A Crowbar and sledgehammer aren't illegal.. But get caught with them outside a house or business at 2am and see what happens.

Even if they dont know what they're talking about? :D

especially because they don't know what they are talking about.

Someone with that much power to ruin your life and a chip on their shoulder scares the **** out of me.

So many times at the border I just have to shake my head after the encounter.

especially because they don't know what they are talking about.

Someone with that much power to ruin your life and a chip on their shoulder scares the **** out of me.

So many times at the border I just have to shake my head after the encounter.
ya but if they're wrong i dont mind pointing it out to them....:D

circumstance matters. You wouldn't get away with carrying a baseball bat into a bar. If you waved a screwdriver at someone they could nail you with a weapons offence for sure.

Since 9/11 boxcutters are no longer just boxcutters.

EDIT CBRJOHN makes same point in bottom of post #11

Last edited:
circumstance matters. You wouldn't get away with carrying a baseball bat into a bar. If you waved a screwdriver at someone they could nail you with a weapons offence for sure.

Since 9/11 boxcutters are no longer just boxcutters.

Well..let's be clear here..there's legal and there's stupidity... :lol:

..... and it's the Officer that decides if you're going to the station or not.

KRFDPSSTI - i'd say if you're going to challenge a border official then you should probably have your lawyer's number on speed dial and plenty of time on your hands. They'll happily let you sit for a few hours to "cool off" while doing absolutely nothing just to inconvenience you.

When I'm working in the bush I always have a Gerber LMF II and a Cold Steel or Ontario Machette.

Nice choice in knives. When in the bush, I always carry my cold steel kukri machete too (along with SOG SEAL Team).

Back
Top Bottom