Surprising view shift change for cars | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Surprising view shift change for cars

Hope you're kidding about power wheelies. Don't be a statistic.

Yes, low end torque on nakeds is rediculous, but can also get you into trouble real fast. Best be careful

Too many nannies on this site....

John (& OP) hate to break this to you but they All have about the same wheelbase,
hence the ability to do wheelies on demand and somewhere between 20 and 200 horsepower which is plenty enough to do endless catwalks

The importance to Have -> throttle control <-> clutch control <-> brake control <-> balance in all dimensions <- is directly proportionate to the horsepower no matter how you ride them.
If front to rear balance on a street bike scares you, it's time for you to get some dirt bike peg time.

Oh I am saying it was my fault. It was the first time I'd been on a bike with over 100hp (or anywhere near). All I meant is once a bike starts to pull your arms it's really easy to accidentally keep giving it more throttle. That sensation is an interesting one. I gave it throttle like I would on a drz.

After that I was fine, just a new experience.

Last edited:
Whether hated or not, wheelies have long long been part of motorcycling. I don't know anyone who grew up with some sort of motorcycling who didn't learn to wheelie (I'm talking about off-road riding). Bikes have long been sought after for their performance and there always have been some serious performance bikes out there. Even looking back at the 500 cc plus two stroke street bikes in the early 70's (big wheelie machines). I had a G1 GSXR1000 (2001) that dyno'd at 152.6 whp, plus a +2/+3 rear sprocket... it was a wheelie monster. With a passenger the thing would wheelie in the first 3 gears by 4k rpm accelerating normally :D. I still remember it today, even short shifting at 4k rpm wasn't averting the beginning of a wheelie.

Let me plug physics too. There is no replacement for displacement :agave:, though weight matters as well. OP going from 300 to 700 cc's is going to notice a nice difference :). 700 to 850-900 will notice a nice difference :). A liter+ bike performance bike, is still even more notable again and the gold standard :D. I rode an FZ-09 and it is easy to wheelie, but still not as easy as most any good liter sportbike for the last 20 years (try the 98 R1 for example, lol ;)). There are lots of wheelie bikes out there. Even other classes like the Africa Twin, muscle bikes, etc.

However, make no bones about it, doing wheelies on the street is illegal and can be met with harsh harsh punishment. Not only that but it's dangerous, especially for the less experienced crowd. I knew three guys in two years who wrote off their street bikes trying to wheelie like the bigger youtube videos. Super dangerous. On a separate note in a crazy but true story
rotfl2.gif
, I've even saw a guy one time come in hot to one of the TO bike hangout coffee spots, back in the day many years ago. I'd guess he was trying to pose, but he ended up doing a great job of completing a full endo at low speed in a parking lot with a bunch of bikes and cars around. Liter bike <1 year old. You don't see that every day
clap2.gif
. There's crazy out there, neither more laws or anything people say are going to change that
evil.gif

Last edited:
First night on my R6 resulted in an accidental power wheelie leaving a stoplight. Then a couple nights ago on the QEW it started trying to lift up in 3rd when I was passing someone, I say tried because I backed off a bit when I felt it lift up. Pretty sure it could bring the front wheel up in 4th if in the powerband.

First night on my R6 resulted in an accidental power wheelie leaving a stoplight. Then a couple nights ago on the QEW it started trying to lift up in 3rd when I was passing someone, I say tried because I backed off a bit when I felt it lift up. Pretty sure it could bring the front wheel up in 4th if in the powerband.
& how much dirt bike experience do you have?

Let me save you some experimentation; pretty sure you can easy do a wheelie in any gear on an R6. otherwise I'd be looking for something wrong with it.
Hey wait! "QEW it started trying to lift up in 3rd when I was passing someone" :lmao: QEW is a multi-lane divided highway, is not like you had to accelerate hard to pass traffic and avoid oncoming traffic, what were you doing popping 3rd gear wheelies on the QEW again?

& how much dirt bike experience do you have?

Let me save you some experimentation; pretty sure you can easy do a wheelie in any gear on an R6. otherwise I'd be looking for something wrong with it.
Hey wait! "QEW it started trying to lift up in 3rd when I was passing someone" :lmao: QEW is a multi-lane divided highway, is not like you had to accelerate hard to pass traffic and avoid oncoming traffic, what were you doing popping 3rd gear wheelies on the QEW again?

zero dirt exp. Situation on QE was like this, I had a tailgater up my *** at 130, downshifted and took off to get him off my *** and find an opening in an adjacent lane.

zero dirt exp. Situation on QE was like this, I had a tailgater up my *** at 130, downshifted and took off to get him off my *** and find an opening in an adjacent lane.

Was a rhetorical question, I knew it by what you wrote.
downshifted ! Totally unnecessary on that bike unless you were lugging it in top gear, just roll on the throttle a bit in 4th. and the car behind will go bye-bye, if he doesn't and hangs with you, get out of his way and slow down he's a maniac.

Was a rhetorical question, I knew it by what you wrote.
downshifted ! Totally unnecessary on that bike unless you were lugging it in top gear, just roll on the throttle a bit in 4th. and the car behind will go bye-bye, if he doesn't and hangs with you, get out of his way and slow down he's a maniac.
Yeah, still a bit used to the shadow. I do typically try to cruise at lower rpm though to save some fuel and try to keep my heat score low-ish.

I hear you on the fuel conservation part, what I do is stay out of too tall a gear when there is any traffic in the immediate vicinity, that way I am already in a gear range that supports accelerate to escape if I need it, might want to try that too. Familiarize yourself with your particular bikes powerband and gear ranges, I figure I use at most 10% of the bikes performance in regular street riding, ymmv but it will be pretty close to that once you get better at riding it.

&btw people are going to want to race you or at least they will be driving crazy Thinking they are racing you, when you see that happening, drop back and give them space, you have nothing to prove, the guy in the car is just clueless about how fast your motorcycle really is, if you make it a race every time that happens it will not work well.

I hear you on the fuel conservation part, what I do is stay out of too tall a gear when there is any traffic in the immediate vicinity, that way I am already in a gear range that supports accelerate to escape if I need it, might want to try that too. Familiarize yourself with your particular bikes powerband and gear ranges, I figure I use at most 10% of the bikes performance in regular street riding, ymmv but it will be pretty close to that once you get better at riding it.

&btw people are going to want to race you or at least they will be driving crazy Thinking they are racing you, when you see that happening, drop back and give them space, you have nothing to prove, the guy in the car is just clueless about how fast your motorcycle really is, if you make it a race every time that happens it will not work well.

I was going to post about this, the most dangerous part about being on a motorcycle around the city is everyone is driving crazy driving to race you and show off... its annoying as ****

Back
Top Bottom