Great deal on a great Battery Tender at Canadian Tire! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Great deal on a great Battery Tender at Canadian Tire!

Excuse my noobish ignorance but I honestly have no clue how these work. Do you have to plug them into an outlet over the winter or do they kind of recycle power between it and the battery, sort of like an alternator in a car? (If that makes any sense at all). Also, can you ride with it hooked up like instances where you wanted to take your bike out on a clear winter day?

If these are idiotic questions don't be too harsh with the replies. ;)

This unit will keep your battery charged. You connect it to your battery and then plug it into the wall.

You can leave the o-ring wires connected to your battery permanently if you wish, since it includes a quick-connect harness system. If you ever have a nice winter day, simply disconnect the battery tender at the harness, and you will have full battery power to start your bike.

Had to go to 3 different Canadian Tires, but found one. Thanks OP.

I guess people are catching on to the deal :p Glad you found one!

This unit will keep your battery charged. You connect it to your battery and then plug it into the wall.

You can leave the o-ring wires connected to your battery permanently if you wish, since it includes a quick-connect harness system. If you ever have a nice winter day, simply disconnect the battery tender at the harness, and you will have full battery power to start your bike.

Thanks for the info and for sharing the find.

From those that have used this one, how does it compare to the Optimate 4
I haven't used an Optimate 4 so I can't give an opinion based on experience. I researched the Optimate line of chargers after reading a review of the Optimate 4 with the intent of buying one. The CTek deal was convenient and attractive so I got one of the CTek tenders instead.

From the spec sheet and brochure, I would say that both units are equivalent in function and price range. The Optimate may have an edge with additional programs for desulphifcation mode and for battery condition testing. The operator panel has more indicators for telling you what it is doing. The CTek panel is pretty simple and mundane but that may be an advantage for those who are technically challenged. The connectors on the CTek appear to be better but that is subjective. I like the positive disconnect on the Ctek as opposed to the trailer connector on the Optimate. As far as charging, both use similar technology, both are able to handle a wide range of battery types including non-sealed lead acid batteries as well as AGM, gel and sealed lead acid. Both have a maximum charge current of 0.8A and can maintain batteries betweeen 2Ah and 75Ah. I don't know any reliability figures for either unit but I guess they have long service lives and high duty cycles because the build quality is high. In short, either unit would be suitable for the purpose of optimumly maintaining the charge of your motorcycle battery. The Optimate 4 is ever so slightly better with its program mode and operator feedback using LEDs so if I were to choose between the two, I would choose the Optimate.

Last edited:
Excuse my noobish ignorance but I honestly have no clue how these work. Do you have to plug them into an outlet over the winter or do they kind of recycle power between it and the battery, sort of like an alternator in a car? (If that makes any sense at all). Also, can you ride with it hooked up like instances where you wanted to take your bike out on a clear winter day?

If these are idiotic questions don't be too harsh with the replies. ;)

I think you misunderstand how an alternator works. the alternator takes mechanical energy from the engine (rotation of the crank) and converts it to electricity for the engine to use (spark) and to run electrical devices (lights, radio, car computer/sensors).

I think you misunderstand how an alternator works. the alternator takes mechanical energy from the engine (rotation of the crank) and converts it to electricity for the engine to use (spark) and to run electrical devices (lights, radio, car computer/sensors).

But wouldn't it be awesome if we could make a device that creates it's own energy out of thin air? :p

I haven't used an Optimate 4 so I can't give an opinion based on experience. I researched the Optimate line of chargers after reading a review of the Optimate 4 with the intent of buying one. The CTek deal was convenient and attractive so I got one of the CTek tenders instead.

From the spec sheet and brochure, I would say that both units are equivalent in function and price range. The Optimate may have an edge with additional programs for desulphifcation mode and for battery condition testing. The operator panel has more indicators for telling you what it is doing. The CTek panel is pretty simple and mundane but that may be an advantage for those who are technically challenged. The connectors on the CTek appear to be better but that is subjective. I like the positive disconnect on the Ctek as opposed to the trailer connector on the Optimate. As far as charging, both use similar technology, both are able to handle a wide range of battery types including non-sealed lead acid batteries as well as AGM, gel and sealed lead acid. Both have a maximum charge current of 0.8A and can maintain batteries betweeen 2Ah and 75Ah. I don't know any reliability figures for either unit but I guess they have long service lives and high duty cycles because the build quality is high. In short, either unit would be suitable for the purpose of optimumly maintaining the charge of your motorcycle battery. The Optimate 4 is ever so slightly better with its program mode and operator feedback using LEDs so if I were to choose between the two, I would choose the Optimate.

Good Info :)

but why you buy the Ctek instead :laughing8:???

That would be lightening.... I'm not sure man can handle that much power yet.

Lightening still gets it's energy from the collision of particles in the air . . . I'm talking of a device that requires no such collisions . . . perpetual motion? :)

i have that same unit. picked up from cdn tire last year. wasnt on sale that time. :(

but money well spent. good unit. does its job very well.

I got this last year for $46.99 (in early November).

It works great for both bikes and all our cars.

Charges and maintains. No issues so far.

I have a tender, but it's the basic $20 one from CT.

The previous owner has used it since 2004, but this year I had to buy a new battery, so I think I should get a new tender... thanks OP, will look for this asap.

Back
Top Bottom