[RANT] Getting so sick of the insurance industry in this god damned province | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

[RANT] Getting so sick of the insurance industry in this god damned province

Might be the combination of being in your 20s and riding one of the higher HP Ducs.

Insurance sucks for sure.

Hard to shed a tear when you are riding a sweet machine like that when most are still living in their parents basement and trying to pay off student loans.

I’d recommend calling for quotes for a different bike like a litre bike or something else but, I suspect you prefer the Duc and who wouldn’t. It’s a nice machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been there with the student loans brother.

I have tried a few other bikes for ***** and giggles. Just the name Ducati is enough reason to bump the price up. All Ducatis are on the blacklist now. That being said, pretty much any bike over 600cc regardless if its a cruiser or a supersport had pricey quotes for me. I feel like my location may have something to do with it.

I spoke with a few of the insurance brokers yesterday as I was hunting for a better deal. It seems like every Ducati is blacklisted now. The funny thing is, Ducati's new 900cc sport touring bike that just came out last year has a 100% price markup on top of the xdiavel. Its got 50 horsepower less and 300cc less. Want to know why? Because Ducati named it "Supersport".

Hopefully I won't have to deal with it much longer though. I am planning on applying for jobs in the US in the next two years.

Last edited:
So you got the ticket when you were 24. Sounds like when you turned 25 whatever premium you might have saved was overshadowed by the increase due to the ticket.

You have to compare apples to apples or it's not a valid comparison. What else changed between then and now?

And your rate factors in your ticket history after the ticket drops off your record, not before!

The insurance broker told me that the rate change takes effect based on when you set the insurance policy to take effect. We even tried to put the policy start date to July (well after the ticket drops off my record). There was no difference in price.

I'm older than most here and can't really complain about insurance costs. I have a 1300cc SS that cost me less than $1K per year to insure. Problem I'm having is trying to sell that bike! I've had it listed for about a month at $2K below it's nearest competitor -- hardly a whiff, and those interested couldn't get insurance. I just called a dealer who sold me the bike in Florida (where a 25 year old can insure a Hayabusa for $39/month), he offered me $500 more than my asking price in Toronto!

I can ship the bike to FL for $500, so I guess shell be heading south.

I'm older than most here and can't really complain about insurance costs. I have a 1300cc SS that cost me less than $1K per year to insure. Problem I'm having is trying to sell that bike! I've had it listed for about a month at $2K below it's nearest competitor -- hardly a whiff, and those interested couldn't get insurance. I just called a dealer who sold me the bike in Florida (where a 25 year old can insure a Hayabusa for $39/month), he offered me $500 more than my asking price in Toronto!

I can ship the bike to FL for $500, so I guess shell be heading south.

wow

Until you get a motorcyclist in office, there won't be any change. Politicians see motorcyclists as a nuisance that they would rather be rid of.

Any talk about lower rates is BS even if the premier was Rossi.

Insurance companies are corporations and if they don't generate a profit their share values tank. Legislating lower rates means lower profits.

Rates can be lowered but only if the insurers can reduce their crash payouts which they have already done.

Mandatory insurance was introduced in the early 1960's IIRC to protect the victims of a crash when hit by a bad driver. It no longer protects the victim.

Legislation presently makes compensation a joke for anything other than body shop costs.

Fraud is blamed so why doesn't the government pursue the con artists by more policing?

Bad drivers are blamed so why is the government giving licenses to bad drivers?

Keep in mind that motorcycle insurance is different than auto in that motorcycles are considered recreational. Save me the crap about the economy, lane space etc. Bikes are toys, except for you of course. You're special.

I think objectors should direct their anger toward government policy.
Oh really? If you can't pay the 2k for insurance then how do I have any confidence you can afford to fix my car you smashed into.
Accidents happen, no one is immune to that.

Yeah insurance is expensive, but if you can't afford to cover your ride then you can't afford to ride.

Justifying riding or driving with no insurance is plain selfish and ignorant.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

1Fraud is blamed so why doesn't the government pursue the con artists by more policing?

2Bad drivers are blamed so why is the government giving licenses to bad drivers?

3Keep in mind that motorcycle insurance is different than auto in that motorcycles are considered recreational. Save me the crap about the economy, lane space etc. Bikes are toys, except for you of course. You're special.

1. Because that costs money. And insurance companies want to make as much of it as possible and spend as little as possible

2. Not sure

3. In canada, they are toys i suppose, but everywhere else on the planet where it doesnt snow, they arent.

Oh really? If you can't pay the 2k for insurance then how do I have any confidence you can afford to fix my car you smashed into.

Yeah insurance is expensive, but if you can't afford to cover your ride then you can't afford to ride.

lol, 2k

Thats dirt cheap homey. Try going up a few ccs.

Any talk about lower rates is BS even if the premier was Rossi.

Insurance companies are corporations and if they don't generate a profit their share values tank. Legislating lower rates means lower profits.

Rates can be lowered but only if the insurers can reduce their crash payouts which they have already done.

Mandatory insurance was introduced in the early 1960's IIRC to protect the victims of a crash when hit by a bad driver. It no longer protects the victim.

Legislation presently makes compensation a joke for anything other than body shop costs.

Fraud is blamed so why doesn't the government pursue the con artists by more policing?

Bad drivers are blamed so why is the government giving licenses to bad drivers?

Keep in mind that motorcycle insurance is different than auto in that motorcycles are considered recreational. Save me the crap about the economy, lane space etc. Bikes are toys, except for you of course. You're special.

Report: Ont. drivers might have overpaid $5B on insurance over five years

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/repor...aid-5b-on-insurance-over-five-years-1.3910201

No surprise!

The guy who rides without insurance is...

...not going to fix your bike when he hits it
...can't afford rent let alone insurance
...considers everyone else selfish and ignorant because he's broke and nobody cares
...doesn't care what you think about his bike, his lack of insurance, your rich-*** bike, or your opinion of him.

No way to get to work, no money for rent, he's breaking the law and FTW.

Not supporting the law breaker. Just saying what he's doing is understandable. Not all of us grew up with rich parents to run to.

Years ago I saw a comedian joke about how its better to be poor, or very rich, but to be in the middle is to be ****ed

You have just enough that people can come after you and you have something to lose, or just enough to have no choice in paying taxes.

The rich have teams of great lawyers and can bleed you dry if you try to come after them. The poor dont need lawyers because they have nothing that you can take.

The rich can find all sorts of loopholes, offshore accounts, and accountants to fudge the books to avoid paying taxes. The poor dont have to pay taxes, because they dont have anything to pay taxes on.(Try taking property tax, income tax etc from a homeless guy on welfare)

The rich dont have to struggle because they got money, the poor/downtrodden don't care and have no worries(I learned this after spending time with some homeless dudes in Toronto), and get support from various organizations, government programs, charities etc. "The things you own end up owning you" definitely applies here, they are free.

Freedom is achieved by being on the extreme ends of the wealth spectrum. By being obscenely wealthy, or by being obscenely poor.
Freedom is achieved by owning vast amounts of wealth, or by not owning anything at all(The Monks and sages have a lot in common with those homeless people we look down upon). But those in the middle who have neither and are the ones that are shackled.

If someone is completely broke and riding around dirty, good luck suing them in court or trying to get anything from them. Regardless of how the judge sides, they are what lawyers call "Judgement proof"

Sorry to go all esoteric on ya'll

It's no fault insurance. You deal with your own insurance company.

Even so, if your insurance company has no one to go after to recoup the costs, then they will bump everyone else's rate when they renew so they don't lose money. This then means more might go the no-insurance route, causing the problem to get larger and larger.

As much as insurance is too expensive here, you have to pay to play. If you can't afford to drive or ride, then take public transit or work closer to home. Also I highly doubt anyone in Ontario "needs" a bike to work, as a car would pretty much always work out cheaper, plus be much more usable 12 months of the year (and if anyone wants to use the free parking in Toronto comment, then again, see TTC).

Back
Top Bottom