Kidney belt for touring | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kidney belt for touring

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Our armored shirts came with kidney belts but since I was just plodding around in Australia on the KLR never bothered as it was too hot.

Kid had a nicer one and and just tried it tonight as my back was a bit sore from cleaning up the garage.....

Geez.....what a nice feel.....very happy back. Seems I'd heard from others they toured with a kidney belt or back brace.

Any thoughts?

Can't find the one I'm using ...MT Gear brand but looks very like this

Kidney-belt-ROLEFF-M160.jpg

Last edited:
There are tons out there but I'd sort of moved them over to motocross, enduro crowd but was curious as to who else used them for touring as I certainly will be.....even helps working at my desk

My lower back gets sore after 3-4 hours on the saddle. I find this helps a lot.

exactly the feedback I'm looking for

I used one in my early days of touring. Didn't seem to make a difference, so never did afterwards. Wondering if 30 years later and aged, if it would be of benefit?

I have two, I use them for offroad riding. I have a medical back support from Walmart for long rides. Made of mesh so it's cooler, and it's designed to support your back unlike a kidney belt which is designed to protect your kidneys. Although I'm not saying it doesn't provide lower back support, only that I prefer the other.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

got a link for the mesh ? that sounds good as I'm already concerned about being too warm in the Scott.

I was surprised at sort of immediate relief from a slightly achy back

got a link for the mesh ? that sounds good as I'm already concerned about being too warm in the Scott.

I was surprised at sort of immediate relief from a slightly achy back
No link. I bought it in the pharmacy area at walmart, same area as wrist/elbow/knee supports. Was under $20.

Even the one in my Badlands jacket feels like it helps a lot. Reading this made me realize it’s a basic back support too.

If you have a gut (especially one that overhangs your belt) this pulls continually on the spine to force it out of its natural alignment. So sitting on a bike all day without a brace is going to be very tough. If you have a relatively flat stomach, then you also have good stomach muscles that will keep your spine in natural alignment, and you won't notice a difference with a kidney belt or back brace.

Remember kidney belts were invented before motorcycles had adequate suspension and decent roads to hold your kidneys in place to prevent them bouncing around, whether or not you had a ponch.

If you have a gut (especially one that overhangs your belt) this pulls continually on the spine to force it out of its natural alignment. So sitting on a bike all day without a brace is going to be very tough. If you have a relatively flat stomach, then you also have good stomach muscles that will keep your spine in natural alignment, and you won't notice a difference with a kidney belt or back brace.

Remember kidney belts were invented before motorcycles had adequate suspension and decent roads to hold your kidneys in place to prevent them bouncing around, whether or not you had a ponch.

its not a gut...it’s armour for the abs

Technically a slouch is the best for the back but the kidney belt help reduce backache when forced to sit upright on a motorcycle.

_42328901_seating_pos3_416.gif

One reason I use a HumanScale Freedom chair...moves with me and I can slouch to my heart's content. :D

[video=youtube;TjCfV2kvDig]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjCfV2kvDig[/video]

But short of that on a mcycle ( the Daylong with the backrest was close ) ...the kidney belt helps.

the kidney belt could help alleviate the stiffness and soreness during long rides. usually i do some lower back stretches which helps a lot.
up to now i thought kidney belts were only to protect the kidneys and mostly for dirt bike riders

No link. I bought it in the pharmacy area at walmart, same area as wrist/elbow/knee supports. Was under $20.

Tensor at $19?

Back
Top Bottom