Spare tire needed for Safety Certificate in Ontario? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Spare tire needed for Safety Certificate in Ontario?

Jinster81

Banned
One question to all who are licensed auto tech who do safety for used cars.

Is having a spare tire mandatory for all vehicle to pass safety?

I know vehicle with runflats definitely don't need spares.

Any input would help!! Thanks

Im actually pretty sure you don't. I believe they only check the wheels that are currently on the Axles. My Camaro for instance doesn't even have a spare tire, there is no room in the trunk.

Im actually pretty sure you don't. I believe they only check the wheels that are currently on the Axles. My Camaro for instance doesn't even have a spare tire, there is no room in the trunk.

Are the tire run flats? My MINI came with run flats, so no spare tire.

Weird...
I just looked on the back of a safety certificate...

Item #
33) Tires
34) Wheels - rims and fasteners
36) Fifth wheel (truck-tractor)

I remember selling a car before and the car didn't have a spare/jack.
The mechanic told me it was part of safety and wouldn't issue a certificate unless we got it.

A can of fix a flat is good enough if you don't have a spare regardless if the vehicle has run flats or not. A Corvette Z06 comes from the factory with regular tires and a can of sealant.

I would think not. I thought they were eliminating spares from cars. Would a bike not need one? The safety is the same, I think.

no, you dont need a spare tire to pass a safety,.

pretty sure you dont even need an engine., as crazy as that sounds

you dont.

theres a checklist floating around on the internet of what exactly the safety points are.

some of the weird ones are you need a workign sun-visor

you cant have any vehicle trim hanging off the car.

your rear defrost must work

but you dont need an engine to pass a safety lol

I always thought you did but cannot say for sure. Obviously run flats etc. would be an exception.

Push comes to shove any random spare would likely work, are they going to make sure it is the same bolt pattern???

You do not need a spare tire to pass a safety. The tires mounted on the vehicle must meet minimum tread depth requirements, not have cuts / cracks in the sidewalls, bulges or belt separations.

As a note to the comment above, the safety standards don't state specifically that the engine must be in place but do require that the motor mounts be in good condition. The vehicle needs to be tested to ensure that the brakes will stop the vehicle when in motion and the power steering needs to function. Without the engine running power assisted brakes and steering cannot be tested - therefore a method of propelling the vehicle and powering these systems needs to be in place.

elaws_regs_900601_ev001-4.gif

this is the back of the SSC.

you are correct in stating that without a car running, you cannot check power assisted brakes.

however, not all cars have power assisted brakes.
i can name a ******** of cars that dont have power steering or power brakes.

just as it states that for motorcycles, you must check the chain and guards.

not all bikes have chains, do they ? lol

you can pass a safety without a motor

I myself thought the spare was needed to pass safety, I guess not.

Relief!! I signed a certificate to a car without the spare.

Thanks all for your inputs!!

I myself thought the spare was needed to pass safety, I guess not.

Relief!! I signed a certificate to a car without the spare.

Thanks all for your inputs!!

Ummmm, you're signing safeties and you don't know what's required???

Back
Top Bottom