RE: Oil Change Frequency | GTAMotorcycle.com

RE: Oil Change Frequency

Punisher

Site Supporter

hey guys,
my bike (SV650) recommends an oil change every 5000kms, but have heard if you ride you bike a little more "spirited" its not a bad idea to do it every 3000k.
is their any truth to that?

thanks in advance, and i apologize if their are threads already out there on this, i did a search but found nothing. figured there would be a Sticky on basic maintenance.

regards,
jason

Re: Oil Change Frequency

Sprited Riding....(very conservative change intervals)

4.5k - 5k with full synthetic.
3.5k with regular oil.

But that's not to say that changing would be at the end of its life at those intervals, its just a very safe interval to change it at.

5-6k is fine with regular oil, in theory you can go longer with synthetic, the additives last longer but the oil will still become contaminated just as fast as conventional. What is a bad idea though is babying the engine and changing synthetic oil every thousand or whatever km that some people do, it can cause cylinder wall glazing.

I would say to examine the oil and document it, at 5K was really bad for me and at 3K it is still really good viscosity wise, at 4500 was somewhat bad. Will check at 4000 next time.

Only way to know for sure is to get an oil analyses done on your bike.

Personally, I think people pay way too much attention to oil. Buy decent oil, change it semi-regularly and you'll be fine.

I change mine with Rotella T6 around 5-6k km, 100k km later and my engine has absolutely zero issues. No oil burning, no trans problems, valves haven't needed an adjustment.

Only way to know for sure is to get an oil analyses done on your bike.

Personally, I think people pay way too much attention to oil. Buy decent oil, change it semi-regularly and you'll be fine.

I change mine with Rotella T6 around 5-6k km, 100k km later and my engine has absolutely zero issues. No oil burning, no trans problems, valves haven't needed an adjustment.

Agreed, plus most people think maintenance means changing the oil excessively while ignoring everything else.

hey guys,
my bike (SV650) recommends an oil change every 5000kms, but have heard if you ride you bike a little more "spirited" its not a bad idea to do it every 3000k.
is their any truth to that?

thanks in advance, and i apologize if their are threads already out there on this, i did a search but found nothing. figured there would be a Sticky on basic maintenance.

regards,
jason

change at 5000, dont waste your money

I run syn. and change at 10k km.
I did an oil analysis & the lab tech told me I can go longer. I'll trust a lab tech that did my oil analysis rather than some expert on a forum :rolleyes:

Use good oil and follow mfg recommendations and you will be fine. Syn oil just handles contamination better than dino hence the longer intervals. That said when I was racing I would change every round, not because I was worried about dirt but because I wanted to see what was in the oil and filter, good way to head off potential issues before they claim an engine and a race weekend.

Yep. My Honda's valves were adjusted once at 16k and subsequent checks never needed to adjust them.
Although I used the Rotella TripleT on the Honda: I'm now using the T6 on the Triumph since it's calling for synthetic. No issues on one of my bikes for oil. I normally change it twice a season (which works out to about 5-6k): once near the start of the season and once near the end. The Honda, curiously, called for the oil to be changed every 12k.

I change it at 4k using Rotela T6 as that's the mileage I've repeatedly found that my bike's shifting starts to degrade.

Back
Top Bottom