Looking for my first street or cruiser bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for my first street or cruiser bike

optimusprime

Hi GTA Motorcycle,

I am looking to get my first bike. I heard that 250cc would feel boring after a few months, especially on a cruiser or street bike. I was thinking of perhaps purchasing a bike over winter when there isn't much buying activity.

As I am looking at bikes can anyone recommend any 500cc street or cruiser bikes. So far I been looking at Honda Rebel 500 and Vulcan 500.

Thanks!

Not sure who is spewing this nonsense about 250 getting boring after a few months. I rode a 150 for 1 year, then a 250 for another 3 years when I was starting to ride. It does not get boring.

In any case, since you asked for a suggestion, check out Honda's cb500 or maybe cbr500r.

CBR500
Ninja 400
Duke 390
RC 390

There are a plethora of 650ish options.

Typically people feel 'bored' in a few months because they believe they had mastered all the smaller displacement bikes have to give, or they are tired of getting to the next stop light 3 seconds slower then their friends.

Not sure who is spewing this nonsense about 250 getting boring after a few months. I rode a 150 for 1 year, then a 250 for another 3 years when I was starting to ride. It does not get boring.

In any case, since you asked for a suggestion, check out Honda's cb500 or maybe cbr500r.

I was ripping up Yonge street last night, i had an absolute blast.

OP- If you are newly licensed, did you check out potential insurance rates for the bikes you had mentioned?

I have an M2 for 2 years and I have been riding a Kymco Venox 250 (cruiser) for 2 seasons. I went for a 250cc cruiser to keep my insurance low, and after 2 seasons- I am now being quoted decent rates for 750-800cc and would be upgrading soon.

The only reason why I am upgrading is because I want to do longer rides (on highways) next season, and my 250cc is not made for that. If it was for casual riding in the city and 80 kmph highways- my 250cc is enough fun to keep me happy.

Nice! Wish I could afford a second small bike to mix it up a bit lol

Insurance is just over $30/month and the tank costs $4 to fill. No reason not to pull the trigger!

Your build and weight will also help determine how "bored" you get of it, many 250ccs aren't quite usually OK to carry 250lbs at 6'3" on the highway for 2 hours.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Insurance is just over $30/month and the tank costs $4 to fill. No reason not to pull the trigger!

Whoa, is that how cheap I can expect insurance to eventually become on a 125? That sounds amazing.

I am a new rider on a M2, no prior motorcycle insurance history, 40 years old, clean 24-year record. The best I could do was CA$869 for full coverage through Echelon.

Whoa, is that how cheap I can expect insurance to eventually become on a 125? That sounds amazing.

I am a new rider on a M2, no prior motorcycle insurance history, 40 years old, clean 24-year record. The best I could do was CA$869 for full coverage through Echelon.
$869 for 125?

Given you're a new rider, $72 a month isn't bad at all. Should drop after 1 season.

Yep, it will drop after the first year. I'm also with Echelon.

Given you're a new rider, $72 a month isn't bad at all. Should drop after 1 season.

Yep, it will drop after the first year. I'm also with Echelon.

Good to hear! When I was shopping around, I was getting quotes north of $2000 for nakeds like the Monster 796 and Street Triple — too much to justify on a seasonal toy/commuter. I was really happy to learn that my Z125 was so cheap to insure.

Good to hear! When I was shopping around, I was getting quotes north of $2000 for nakeds like the Monster 796 and Street Triple — too much to justify on a seasonal toy/commuter. I was really happy to learn that my Z125 was so cheap to insure.

$2k for a new rider on middleweight bikes isn't too bad, depending on age.

Eventually with time and a decent driving record, your home address postal code, and uses (commuting or pleasure, annual moto mileage, and storage situation) can also affect cost of insurance coverages beyond engine size, gender, age, and M license experience. I found even then that quotes varied widely and so I recommend shopping shopping shopping. If you have any workplace or professional association group insurance plans don't forget to check there and any deals with combo auto or home coverages. I think 6 to 10 quotes (even though it sounds excessive and far from fun) is wise to find your deal. For me, Kanetix only helped somewhat, I found my best deal elsewhere. Ymmv.

Sent from my SM-T280 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

$2k for a new rider on middleweight bikes isn't too bad, depending on age.

True,
it's not until you are burning all your insurance payment receipts from the last 20 plus years that is starts to really feel like they reamed you :agave:

Sure your insurance will drop a little, then it will eventually go right back up again until it is several times over what you are paying right now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom