Bought one Finally! GS500F 2008 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bought one Finally! GS500F 2008

Freak

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...pers-FS-2008-Suzuki-GS500F-W0QQAdIdZ369364985

Here is my new Ride! will be getting it on Tuesday. I thank all of you for the help you guys provided, especially whetaus-tr who came down to take a look at it for me. This was decently priced, small fairing crack on right hand indicator which i hope not to make worse.

Would like some advise on this bike from senior members, preferably previous or current owners of GS500F 2008. Looking forward to be on the road by Tuesday.

Nice, I own an '08 naked version myself. Just keep an eye on the oil levels, the GS can really burn the stuff (especially at high revs). I lost almost 2 litres over 3000km.. I think mine is worse than most though. Also, a rejet is a good idea. It really cuts down on warm-up time, and gives a more even power curve

If you have any questions, or need a hand with maintenence, then just give me a shout

Congratulations on the new bike!! Great price too. GSTwin forum may now become your home if you will decide to do any upgrade or do maintenance yourself. I loved my GS500F, it was tons of fun riding. Some people complain about their GS running too lean, mine never did that. If your bike will indeed run too lean, you can always rejet it (can add K&N intake and aftermarket slip-on if you're rejetting). Also the front suspension is softer than average. Otherwise, those bikes are bulletproof.

Weird...I sweat I have the same pic of my GS and a red250 at the exact same spot!

A big issue is the oil cover bolts. DON'T OVER TIGHTEN THEM! Once you feel some pressure, maybe a 1/2 twist and you should be good. They are easily stripped. I had that happen to me and oil gushed out everywhere the second I started the engine. I had to retro fit different screws with like 7 spacers on each screw cuz there were no other sizes at home depot. Worked like a charm!

Enjoy! You're gonna love it!

Weird...I sweat I have the same pic of my GS and a red250 at the exact same spot!

A big issue is the oil cover bolts. DON'T OVER TIGHTEN THEM! Once you feel some pressure, maybe a 1/2 twist and you should be good. They are easily stripped. I had that happen to me and oil gushed out everywhere the second I started the engine. I had to retro fit different screws with like 7 spacers on each screw cuz there were no other sizes at home depot. Worked like a charm!

Enjoy! You're gonna love it!

Dayao, if you're not comfortable with tightening those bolts (and you shouldn't be), I'd suggest investing in a torque wrench - mastercraft maximum go on sale once every few months at CT if you want one on the cheaper side. Service manual has all the torque values in it, so you won't overtighten the bolts. I have a copy of GS500 service manual on my google docs I think, if you need one.

A big issue is the oil cover bolts. DON'T OVER TIGHTEN THEM!

I ordered a bunch of those bolts last time I had to get OEM parts because of their reputation. I know it's only a matter of time before I hulk one into pieces:D

I ordered a bunch of those bolts last time I had to get OEM parts because of their reputation. I know it's only a matter of time before I hulk one into pieces:D

Never had a problem myself (five oil changes or so before I sold it) Get a torque wrench--they can be had cheaply and take a lot of guesswork out of the process. If you don't have one, borrow one. I don't think I've UNDER-tightened a fastener ever, so take it easy. Small cover bolts/screws rarely take more than 7-12 ft lbs of force.

Load bearing stuff isn't that much higher (fork clamps, brake calipers, handlebars, shock mounting bolts). Only the axles require more tension. The drive sprocket uses a C-clip (or did--maybe that's changed). Snag a manual and sign up at gstwins.com. The forum is filled with tons of friendly support.

Having six-point sockets/wrenches will make things less dramatic, too.

Last edited:
Congrats. I see you got the faster coloured one. Ride safe.

Dayao, if you're not comfortable with tightening those bolts (and you shouldn't be), I'd suggest investing in a torque wrench - mastercraft maximum go on sale once every few months at CT if you want one on the cheaper side. Service manual has all the torque values in it, so you won't overtighten the bolts. I have a copy of GS500 service manual on my google docs I think, if you need one.

Oh haha, yea, thanks, I have those now. I stripped the screws before I invested in the torque wrench, not thinking how easily they get stripped. I actually got a used HuskyPro from a thrift store for $40. Not too shabby. =D

Oh haha, yea, thanks, I have those now. I stripped the screws before I invested in the torque wrench, not thinking how easily they get stripped. I actually got a used HuskyPro from a thrift store for $40. Not too shabby. =D

You do realize that those have to be calibrated once in a while? I wouldn't touch a used one without knowing what it has been through.

Thanks guys. I would need the service manual as the owner doesn't have one. Will probably be meeting someone with a GS500F to know further details.

Thanks guys. I would need the service manual as the owner doesn't have one. Will probably be meeting someone with a GS500F to know further details.

Hey, I've got a Haynes manual for your exact bike. I'll give it to ya for $20. And since we're on this, I have an extra K&N High-flow air filter I bought accidentally. It simply replaces the stock airfilter and allows your bike to breathe. I def felt a bit more pull when I open the throttle. I'll give that to ya for $40. Interested? msg me=D

Last edited:
You do realize that those have to be calibrated once in a while? I wouldn't touch a used one without knowing what it has been through.

It looked fairly new, not a scratch or sign of use at all. I'll look into this calibrating thing. Never knew that was even needed.

Back
Top Bottom