One rider, multiple bike Riders Plus POV | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

One rider, multiple bike Riders Plus POV

^^ sounds like a dealer plate scenario
and I'm sure with a revolving inventory
there is not a chance a dealer holds an individual policy for each vehicle
but a fleet/blanket would not be cheap either

Correct me if I'm wrong but it was my understanding that if insurance providers want to sell life, home, disability, etc. in Ontario they have to provide auto insurance. For that they are guaranteed a 10% profit margin. Most companies would kill for a 10% margin. Was I miss informed?

It will not work from a government perspective today BUT if we could insure a plate and the insurance was on the highest cost (to insure) registered bike on the policy/plate. There is only one plate and the plate needs to be on the bike you are riding that day (only ride one at a time)... if you lend a bike (or even take it to the mechanic and he/she needs to test ride it), there is only one plate so all the other bikes are tucked in at home... Totally does not work with how vehicles are registered today and there is not enough of us to get anyone to care about this kind of change, so likely a total non-starter but in theory a workable solution.

Another way "potentially" around this car and possibly bike wise (if such a thing exists for bikes) is classic car insurance. Usually pretty low cost BUT the vehicle insured under such a policy will have strict usage rules...must be parked in a garage, cannot drive to work, cannot take it to the store, limited kms per year..... pleasure use only.
This is certainly a workable solution -- MTO and insurers already manage this concept with dealer plates. This would be the ideal solution to the multi-vehicle single owner issue.

Wouldn't plate theft then go through the roof?

What makes this type of plate more attractive to a thief?

Currently if an officer runs a plate and it shows green kawasaki and the plate is on a black honda, they pull you over for a chat. This plate would remove that first cursory test.

It will not work from a government perspective today BUT if we could insure a plate and the insurance was on the highest cost (to insure) registered bike on the policy/plate. There is only one plate and the plate needs to be on the bike you are riding that day (only ride one at a time)... if you lend a bike (or even take it to the mechanic and he/she needs to test ride it), there is only one plate so all the other bikes are tucked in at home... Totally does not work with how vehicles are registered today and there is not enough of us to get anyone to care about this kind of change, so likely a total non-starter but in theory a workable solution.

I know someone who shall remain nameless, who collects older bikes and has a large number of them, who does this "de facto" if perhaps not legitimately/legally ...

Correct me if I'm wrong but it was my understanding that if insurance providers want to sell life, home, disability, etc. in Ontario they have to provide auto insurance. For that they are guaranteed a 10% profit margin. Most companies would kill for a 10% margin. Was I miss informed?

I'm pretty sure they can pick and choose to some extent but there is something in there about that if they offer auto insurance, they have to offer it to all drivers. Offering "facility" insurance evidently counts, though, and there's nothing stopping the insurance from being offered but at exorbitant rates. Technically, insurance rates are regulated in Ontario, but it appears to be simply a matter of the insurance company saying "jump" and FCSO saying "how high" - essentially useless. They appear to approve whatever rating scheme that any insurance company proposes to them.

Currently if an officer runs a plate and it shows green kawasaki and the plate is on a black honda, they pull you over for a chat. This plate would remove that first cursory test.

In the case of the person who shall remain nameless (it's not me), the bikes are all the same brand (further evidence that it's not me).

When I had my FZR400 painted, I forgot to get the registration changed (Was blue, now white and red, registered as white because it can only be one colour) and I was never pulled over for it. This is probably also one of Rob MacLennan's "do you want fries with that" situations - if you get pulled over for something else, THEN you'll get questions about why the registration doesn't match.

This is an interesting tidbit, does this apply to passenger vehicles as well? Many years ago I purchased a used car that was painted black but was still registered under the factory blue colour. I didn't think anything of it and just assumed it to be standard procedure (perhaps so that it matched the colour the VIN pointed to). I was never given any issues about it and all my vehicles since have been the original colour.

When I had my FZR400 painted, I forgot to get the registration changed (Was blue, now white and red, registered as white because it can only be one colour) and I was never pulled over for it. This is probably also one of Rob MacLennan's "do you want fries with that" situations - if you get pulled over for something else, THEN you'll get questions about why the registration doesn't match.

I know of a brand new vehicle that had the colour on the registration different from the actual.....wasn't changed for the almost 15 years of the vehicle life. Got traded in (as scrap probably) with the same error on the ownership.

Multi coloured vehicles are generally registered as the primary colour.

This is an interesting tidbit, does this apply to passenger vehicles as well? Many years ago I purchased a used car that was painted black but was still registered under the factory blue colour. I didn't think anything of it and just assumed it to be standard procedure (perhaps so that it matched the colour the VIN pointed to). I was never given any issues about it and all my vehicles since have been the original colour.
Yes it does. When I was 18 I got stopped in a brown camaro (not mine, eww). I deserved to be stopped and the officer was unhappy with me to say the least. One of the "fries with that" tickets was for the registration being black and the car being brown even though I didn't own it. Don't remember the actual citation but he told me I had 6 days to change the registration color.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Why would you get the ticket for colour if you didn't own it? Would go to the registered owner, no?
Quite likely. In my case the prosecution dropped that and another ticket to get a conviction on a nastier charge so I never found out.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom