The best oil filter money can buy! | GTAMotorcycle.com

The best oil filter money can buy!

toysareforboys

Banned
Site Supporter
I've been just dying to try out Amsoil's new synthetic media oil filters. My friend who runs a taxi business switched his 5 cars over to them a few months ago, and the results are absolutely mind blowing. When he drained his oil after 15,000km's, it looked like honey, the same colour as the oil going in (he uses Amsoil full synthetic)! INSANE! He sent his oil away for UOA (used oil analysis) and the results were night and day vs. the Purolator PureOne filters he was using before (touted as the best filtering oil filter prior to the new Amsoil ones!). If the UOA figures continue to hold up, it looks like he'll be changing the oil and filter only every 40,000KM'S!!! NUTS!

Here is my personal Drain Interval recommendation: Oil and Filter Every 15,000km's or once a year, before storing for the winter. Amsoil says for our bikes, with the OEM air filter, you can go 24,000km! I think that's a little insane, especially because people are running K&N filters which let ALL kinds of dirt through, or BMC "race" filters, and not many people do more than 15k in a season.

Anyway, I just confirmed which filters fit on the Yamaha R6 and R1 bikes (and 92.3% of every other Jap sport bike out there).

For 2003-2005 R6 (possibly earlier), 2007/2008 R1 (possibly a bunch of other years too), or any year R6S you can barely squeeze on a Ea15K13 "long" filter. For 2006+ R6 you'll need the short filter, and the longest one that just barely clears the shift rod is EaOM103 :)

Filter specs:

amsoil_yamaha_r6_r1_r6s_filters.png

MSRP of EA15K13 is $17 and EAOM103 is $18.40

Amsoil dealer locator: http://www.amsoil.com/locator/index.aspx

I had really great service buying from JEFFREY MCNAMEE, jeff.mcnamee117@gmail.com, (905) 429-9754. He is located in north east Oshawa. He had all the filters in stock that I needed, and was able to pick them up on a SUNDAY! :D

In case you're wondering what oil to use in your bike, to go with your new kick butt filter... Amsoil has full synthetic (Group IV/4, not blended) 10w40 in 3.78L jugs for MSRP $48.60 (MCF1G-EA). *warning* Ask Amsoil before you use this oil in older motorcycles (prior to 2000) or high mileage engines (over 80k)!!

Some info on the new oil filters: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx

Amsoil said:
Ea Oil Filters feature advanced full-synthetic nanofiber technology and rank among the most efficient filters available for the auto/light-truck market. When used in conjunction with AMSOIL synthetic motor oils, AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters are guaranteed for extended service life: Ea Filters designated with product code Ea15K are recommended for 15,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in normal or severe service.

Absolute Efficiency
AMSOIL Ea® Oil Filters (EaO, Ea15K) have one of the best efficiency ratings in the automotive/light-truck market. Ea Oil Filters provide a filtering efficiency in accordance with industry standard ISO 4548-12 of 98.7 percent at 20 microns, while competitive filters demonstrate efficiencies as low as 51 percent.

Less Restriction

AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters have lower restriction than conventional cellulose media filters. Their small synthetic fibers trap smaller particles and hold more contaminants, resulting in lower restriction. During cold-temperature warm-up periods, an Ea Oil Filter allows the oil to flow through the filter more easily than a typical cellulose filter does. Lower restriction decreases engine wear.

Contaminant Retention

A filter’s capacity refers to the amount of contaminants it can hold and still remain effective. AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters have a greater capacity for small, wear-causing contaminants than competing filter lines. In fact, when used in conjunction with AMSOIL synthetic motor oils, AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters are guaranteed for up to 15,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, or 25,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, depending on application and severity of service.

Superior Construction

AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters are made with premium-grade full-synthetic media. The strictly controlled processing of this media ensures accurate filter construction and is what allows Ea Oil Filters to deliver higher capacity and efficiency along with better durability.

Over the service life of a conventional cellulose filter, hot oil will degrade the resins that bind the media. Ea Oil Filters’ full-synthetic media technology is resin-free. It uses a wire screen backing that is pleated with the media for superior strength.

Ea Oil Filters are constructed with HNBR gaskets that are fully tested to extreme distances in numerous severe environments. The filters also feature fully tucked seams, a molded element seal, roll-formed threads and a long-lasting, premiumgrade silicone anti-drain valve. They also feature fluted cans for improved grip.

Applications And Recommendations

AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters provide superior oil filtration for cars and light trucks.

EAO_ExplodedFilter_900px.jpg

EAO_efficiency_900.jpg

Woot woot for kick butt Amsoil products!

-Jamie M.
(P.S. I know what you're saying, "but the EA15K13 is a car filter!" yeah yeah, tell that to the thousands of people that run Purolator PureOne PL14610/PL14612 (a car filter with even higher bypass pressures than the EA15K13, 14-18 PSI!) on their R6/R1's without problems. The flow rate of the new synthetic media is so insane I highly doubt you'd EVER see bypass even when it's -20 outside and you've put 14k km's on the filter already!)

I would like to see an independent 3rd party company perform these tests.
It would be great to see the oil and filter marked/sealed then tested on a track for xxx kms and 10k on street roads.
Let them show the actual old oil and dissected filters otherwise it's all marketing hype.

A taxi company that does used oil analysis? Really? I don't think I've even been in a taxi that had four straight wheels on the car.

A taxi company that does used oil analysis? Really? I don't think I've even been in a taxi that had four straight wheels on the car.
This guy owns his own cars, seems really picky about making sure they are maintained so it doesn't cost him down the road. I guess he found out the hard way, oil/oil filters is not something you skimp on when he drives such insane distances :)

-Jamie M.

Let's backtrack a bit.Are my oem filters causing engine damage?No.
If something aint broken...don't fix it.

Interesting -- I've been using Amsoil full synth in the car since about 15,000km, but typically either a NAPA Gold or K&N Filter. Plan for the bike was to switch to Amsoil as well, and likely run the OEM Honda filter until I found something better. Now that Amsoil is making filters, I'll have to look into that. Any ideas where these might be available locally?

Let's backtrack a bit.Are my oem filters causing engine WEAR? Yes.
Fixed it for ya ;)

Any ideas where these might be available locally?
Punch your postal code in the Amsoil dealer locator and it'll sort the list by the people closest to you. It says the closest one to Scarb is:

JOHN PASCOTTO
View Map View My Installers
(416) 881-3473
310 MILLWAY AVE, CONCORD, ON L4K 3W3
Distance: 13.7 mi
Email: oilguy@rogers.com

Directions
Website

You can also try:

Heritage Auto & PowerSports
Daniel and the gang (Josh, and the co-op kid)
24 Ingram Drive, Suite #2
Toronto, Ontario M6M 2L6

Phone: 416-249-0422
E-mail: heritageautosports@gmail.com
Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=47929682115

-Jamie M.

Amsoil is THE ****!
Ive been using it for years now, and became a dealer because not just oil, but all their products are top performers. I have a track only car, 1989 GT4 with 200,000kms on the engine and turbo, transmission is the original one from the car 270,000 same with the rear diff. ZERO issues with anything. Our 2006 is350 has been using it since new, 1 year oil change intervals. Runs amazing and gets 2L/100km less than whats a new one gets :)

If anyone is in brampton and needs anything let me know

647 278 FAST
Luke

Let's backtrack a bit.Are my oem filters causing engine damage?No.
If something aint broken...don't fix it.

Valid point, my bike is at 86k km's. Running for the most part oem filters and Rotella T6 for most of it's life. Doesn't burn a drop of oil, and the valves checked perfectly in spec (never adjusted) a couple thou ago.

My work vehicle is just hitting the 400k mark. A vehicle that is generally driven hard, used in harsh conditions, hot summers, cold temps, and used for towing on occasion.

it uses regular dino oil the mechanic puts in, and likely a generic filter.

It still runs strong, and I've never had to add a drop of oil inbetween changes.

Why should I bother paying extra for Amsoil oil and filter?

Wow, you'd make a perfect snake oil sales man.

I may be wrong on this but I read (I think on Bob's The Oil Guy) from a reputable source who commented that synth should be black/dark coloured when drained as that means it's doing its job. Clear honey coloured likely means it's not, as synth is supposed to hold the crap in suspension and keep it away from the moving parts that's why it's dark. I suppose if the filter is able to filter that out then that's fine but nothing is a win win so the drawback should be decreased flow rates through the media.

IMHO, there are good filters (proper design and construction) and there are bad filters. I have had TWO FRAM filters fall apart when changing oil in my car (after 5000 km, synthetic Mobil1 oil). The inner cartridge would literally fall out of the housing. Switched to K&N and never had any problems, plus changing oil every 6,400km now (4000 miles). Switched my bike to K&N too just for the heck of it, but I was happy with OEM Honda filters.

Another beef I have is with the marketing of Amsoil. It appears to be a MLM (pyramid) aka scam marketing.

An allegedly professional high grade product shouldn't have to be marketed this way.

I'm not a fan of MLM type sales pitches which is used in everything from jewelry to phone cards and now, I guess, motor oil haha. There will never be enough people to keep the pyramid (scam) going.

"Dealer

An Independent Dealer sells products to customers bypassing the typical price mark-up in general distribution. A Dealer, as with all of the following accounts, must be sponsored by another Dealer. The sponsoring Dealer receives a commission from sales of his sponsored Dealers and accounts. There are no territories to restrict Independent Dealers operations."

"AMSOIL also wholly owns and manages an MLM subsidiary called ALTRUM, which markets nutritional supplements. AMSOIL also owns a natural liquid organic fertilizer division called AGGRAND, used in home, gardens, greenhouses, golf courses, lawncare, crop farms, ranches, and commercial farming."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amsoil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Level_Marketing

Last edited:
On another forum, we had to confine any and all discussion concerning Amsoil products to its own dedicated thread ... so that the Amsoil devotees could be free to talk amongst themselves while the rest of us could be free to ignore them.

Amsoil's self-published "studies" invariably trip my "too good to be true" alarm. I don't dispute that they seem to have some good products, but no single product can possibly score as highly in every conceivable way of being measured as theirs do, and EVERY single Amsoil product seems to make such claims.

I place Amsoil, Lucas, and Royal Purple in the "do not buy" category due to excessive marketing claims.

I'm staying with Rotella T6 for the bikes, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck for my car (VW diesel), and either OEM or Purolator PureOne oil filters.

Back
Top Bottom