Hello! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hello!

chinamike

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself. Name is Mike and I got my M2 only last year. So, I'm really new to the sport, but have been interested for the longest time!

I am eager to participate in this forum and learn as much I can to help me purchase my first bike.

Hope to hear from you all soon.

Welcome to GTAM.

Got any particular bikes in mind?

Sport bike either 250cc or 300cc. Need to find something nice to learn on. Any solid suggestions?
I've looked at the cbr, ninja, and R3, but open to any suggestions really.

1) Not very stable on the highway
2) You'll outgrow it fairly quickly, at least on a 300 you can continue to build skills and take it to the track.
3) Insurance difference shouldn't be much

Welcome. One of the things that often surprises new riders is the issue of insurance. Before you dish out for a new (or new to you) bike, make sure you've lined up insurance you can afford. 300cc bikes are typically cheap but for, say, a 17 year old male, new rider living in Toronto it could still be prohibitive. You don't mention your age or location so I'm just throwing this out as an example. If you're 50, have 30 years of clean driving on a G (well, GM2 now) and have a car or two and a house with insurance company 'X', you might get bike insurance fairly cheap.

Sport bikes -- even 300cc ones -- are sometimes frowned upon by insurance companies. Some consider anything with "Ninja" in the name to be "blacklisted"; they think if it's a "Ninja" it's just gotta be like a ZX-10RR. If you get grief like that from your insurer you might consider a different kind of bike: Instead of a CBR500R, think CB500F. Instead of Ninja 300, think Versys 300. Or maybe a cruiser; you can generally get quite a few more cc's for your insurance dollar in the cruiser/touring category than in the "sport" category.

Check with your insurer. If you find they're not willing to help you out, look a the insurance forum here for brokers and agents who might be able to help you more.

Welcome. One of the things that often surprises new riders is the issue of insurance. Before you dish out for a new (or new to you) bike, make sure you've lined up insurance you can afford. 300cc bikes are typically cheap but for, say, a 17 year old male, new rider living in Toronto it could still be prohibitive. You don't mention your age or location so I'm just throwing this out as an example. If you're 50, have 30 years of clean driving on a G (well, GM2 now) and have a car or two and a house with insurance company 'X', you might get bike insurance fairly cheap.

Sport bikes -- even 300cc ones -- are sometimes frowned upon by insurance companies. Some consider anything with "Ninja" in the name to be "blacklisted"; they think if it's a "Ninja" it's just gotta be like a ZX-10RR. If you get grief like that from your insurer you might consider a different kind of bike: Instead of a CBR500R, think CB500F. Instead of Ninja 300, think Versys 300. Or maybe a cruiser; you can generally get quite a few more cc's for your insurance dollar in the cruiser/touring category than in the "sport" category.

Check with your insurer. If you find they're not willing to help you out, look a the insurance forum here for brokers and agents who might be able to help you more.
I used to keep both in my garage, a VStar 250 and a Ninja250 - they usually cost the same to insure.

With respect to insuring Ninjas, you're safe with anything that begins with ER or EX, they are Sport Touring bikes. Ninjas prefixed with a GP or Z will be in the highest insurance categories, they are SS. So goes it for most manufacturers, choose the SS version and your insurance can easily be double the ST version.

I rode bigger bikes when I was in my 20's KZ1000 Goldwing, and I've been back riding for three years. My Honda CBR250 is:

1. Quite stable on the highway.
2. Can get me a speeding ticket anywhere in Canada. It's also fun to ride in the twisties and is used by some riding schools on the track. It will not keep up on the straights with the big boys, but you don't have the skills for that for a few years anyway.
3. Agreed on the insurance. My 250 ABS model is actually a little cheaper than my 125.
4. Since the 250's have been discontinued and replaced by 300 cc models, they are cheap to buy and run. There will always be resale value of these bikes that are in good condition for newer / entry level riders. The 300 will cost more but likely sell for a little more in three years.

I agree that saving a few bucks up front isn't of any value if you have to spend more next year, but also consider that you need to invest a fair bit in year one for protective gear. Also, scratching a $2000 bike hurts less than scratching a $4000 bike.

If you have the cash and the insurance is affordable, a 300 is probably the better choice. If money is an issue, a 250 will serve you well.

1) Not very stable on the highway
2) You'll outgrow it fairly quickly, at least on a 300 you can continue to build skills and take it to the track.
3) Insurance difference shouldn't be much

Last edited:
I rode bigger bikes when I was in my 20's KZ1000 Goldwing, and I've been back riding for three years. My Honda CBR250 is:

1. Quite stable on the highway.

I would not say they deal with crosswinds or buffeting from bigger vehicles well at all actually. If you disagree with that then i'm not sure what to tell you.

I would not say they deal with crosswinds or buffeting from bigger vehicles well at all actually. If you disagree with that then i'm not sure what to tell you.
I'm not sure what to say either. I commute on the 404 and I take the car only when it's snowing. I wouldn't hesitate to take mine anywhere. I'm assuming you've ridden the 250 and had some issues?
I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm genuinely confused about your take on this

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom