TV wall mounting | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

TV wall mounting

4 of these

6Sn7GXH.jpg

And it’s up

Ax5L7UI.jpg

Y and R eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N3WMAN use to do high end installs, but I think he got out of the game and moved up north.
Yeah, haven't done installs in 5 years or so.

Most guys advertising are 50 to 100 dollars, that to me is reasonable, I just want someone who does this, not some joe blow with a drill and some screws.
Only want to spend $50-100 but also want an industry professional. You can have one or the other. For $50 all you are going to get is joe blow with a drill and some screws.

4 of these

6Sn7GXH.jpg
There is concrete/brick behind there? because that's what those are for.

and that right there is the awesome and the sucky. If your 35 have all the right tools and a van, insurance and pay taxes you cant stop at the end of the driveway for less than $200?
If your retired Fred, $50 goes for greens fees and a double double and you could care less about liability, oky doky.

I have some trade friends , I feel for them , competing with others that don't need the work but like to stay busy. Not saying its wrong but it does make it harder.

That's a whole new topic, handymen or handypeople if you're PC. The government says it costs about $0.50 to drive a car so add that to the time of driving to the site, the time assessing the problem and then getting the parts and doing the job.

The catch 22 is that a tile setter isn't likely interested in replacing one tile so a handyman isn't a threat but unless the handyman is skilled the cracked tile might be replaced by a crooked one.

What is the client's expectation of quality?

More and more trades are being legislated. Handymen used to change light switches and receptacles. ESA has made a special place in hell for you if you're caught.

Some municipalities regulate landscaping. Need a license to mow a lawn?

Liability insurance? Insurance companies need to know what you're doing and a handyman by definition does everything.

I changed a smoke detector battery for a 93 year old neighbour yesterday, no charge. I probably broke a dozen laws and regulations to do it.

Yeah, haven't done installs in 5 years or so.

Only want to spend $50-100 but also want an industry professional. You can have one or the other. For $50 all you are going to get is joe blow with a drill and some screws.

There is concrete/brick behind there? because that's what those are for.

Yes it was brick, just behind a sheet of drywall, i used the same fasteners as what the previous installer used, and those held up the old TV for 6 years, so I should be OK, I checked on the current mount and no sign of it being loose or detaching, so all is good.

They installed one over the fireplace at my club, in 4 months it was toast. Warranty guy said overheated, They hired a hi fi / AV installer guy to look at the project, he prescibed a new mantle that would project further and move the heat away from the TV.

Consultation about $250.00, new mantle built and installed $1,200.00. Saved a $395.00 55" telly. The designer said it MUST be over the fireplace.

Same AV guy sold us an HD digital projector for the other end of the room, electric screen, "custom" speakers spec'd to the acoustics. Turns out the bulbs for the projector were hand made in the Himilayans by unicorns @ $200 a pop, lasted about half way through any football game, that gem cost us about 12K installed, but at least the fireplace didn't wreck it......

Is it me or is that TV sitting way too high?

Nope, back far enough, and just right while sitting on the couch, even lying down it’s good

I was thinking the same thing. I find any TV above a fireplace always looks too high for comfort.

Not an issue for us

It looks like a neck strain, unless you're at the back of a long room.

Back far enough

They installed one over the fireplace at my club, in 4 months it was toast. Warranty guy said overheated, They hired a hi fi / AV installer guy to look at the project, he prescibed a new mantle that would project further and move the heat away from the TV.

Consultation about $250.00, new mantle built and installed $1,200.00. Saved a $395.00 55" telly. The designer said it MUST be over the fireplace.

Same AV guy sold us an HD digital projector for the other end of the room, electric screen, "custom" speakers spec'd to the acoustics. Turns out the bulbs for the projector were hand made in the Himilayans by unicorns @ $200 a pop, lasted about half way through any football game, that gem cost us about 12K installed, but at least the fireplace didn't wreck it......

Wow that sounds horrible....

Fortunately, we don’t use the fireplace, it does work, it’s gas, and it puts out way too much heat

Is it me or is that TV sitting way too high?

Standard design these days. I'm with you though. Designers like the TV way above the fireplace. Personally, if starting from scratch, I would go low-profile fireplace (with the added benefit of less heat output) and drop the tv to be roughly centred on a conventional mantel. Roughly like this:

25e74c4b5765903ba8aa8ec8fd91bbf4.jpg

I never liked mounting over the fireplace, and I did a ton of them. It's aesthetically pleasing I guess, but a ball ache to actually watch in my experience. When customers allowed me to mount it my way I would measure their eye level when sitting on the couch/chair/whatever they were viewing from and go slightly above (4-6 inches) that to the centre of the TV on the wall. Provides a comfortable viewing angle and no neck strain.

Turns out the bulbs for the projector were hand made in the Himilayans by unicorns @ $200 a pop
That is actually dirt cheap by projector bulb standards. High end brand name projector bulbs can be $500-1k

Back
Top Bottom