Usless / unnecessary bike tech | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Usless / unnecessary bike tech

My Tuono has all the bells and whistles (IMU, wheelie control, traction control, cornering ABS, power modes, launch control etc) and I'm glad for pretty much all of them.

I've never used the LC or the pit-speed limiter function; kinda hokey on a street bike I guess but even these would be useful on the track or at the strip.

Some of the guys I was with had to really keep an eye on their fuel gauges, if they had them, and were filling up every 200kms or so.

Shut up.

What??? 50kw isn't even the entry point for POWER.

...when you get the MONEY... then you get the POWER. Then when you get the POWER then you get the ...

If you don't have the MONEY, 50KW will have to do.

Once you get the WOMAN, then you have get the better type of POWER. Then 50kw is plenty.

Once you get the WOMAN, then you have get the better type of POWER. Then 50kw is plenty.
My observation is you need to do this in the order Tony specified otherwise the POWER gets sold to buy a Minivan.

I would have to say, the most obvious, needless tech are signal and tail lights, after all soooo many riders seemingly want to make them as small and impossible to see...lol

I would have to say, the most obvious, needless tech are signal and tail lights, after all soooo many riders seemingly want to make them as small and impossible to see...lol

i laughed.

i laughed.
Haha me too! I had flush mounts on my last bike (were on when I purchased it) and none of my friends that I rode with could ever tell when I was signalling (front/rear)...AND they are paying attention to it....scares me to see what he cagers see (NOTHING). I am glad to see that Kawi (built in flushmounts) and Suzuki (signals in mirrors) fixed this a decade ago so those penny size flushmounts were no longer needed :)

Anyhow, these are my 2 main tech gripes that I've found in my years of riding. What are yours?

Just thought of another one: Hill Hold Control (KTM) or Hill Start Assist (BMW). Basically, it will engage the brake for you when you're stopped on an incline so you can take your right foot and right hand off the brakes and focus on launching without worrying that the bike will roll backwards.

I think it's useless, but having seen so many riders at stop lights who have to stop with both feet sticking out, waiting at the lights with both feet planted, and then launching with both feet dragging on the ground, I believe the Art of the Rear Brake is quickly disappearing. So Hill Hold Control will probably be a big thing for the next generation of unskilled riders.

Just thought of another one: Hill Hold Control (KTM) or Hill Start Assist (BMW). Basically, it will engage the brake for you when you're stopped on an incline so you can take your right foot and right hand off the brakes and focus on launching without worrying that the bike will roll backwards.

I think it's useless, but having seen so many riders at stop lights who have to stop with both feet sticking out, waiting at the lights with both feet planted, and then launching with both feet dragging on the ground, I believe the Art of the Rear Brake is quickly disappearing. So Hill Hold Control will probably be a big thing for the next generation of unskilled riders.
I can see the being pretty useful for riders in San Fran and San Diego. The roads in those city's are super steep/hilly. I do agree tho, how hard is it to keep your foot on the rear brake to stop from rolling back and then gently glide off it when you start moving?

Wonder how long it's going to take to see car tech trickle down to bikes.

Lane departure assisted steering.
Assisted emergency braking.

Self balancing bikes...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Assisted emergency braking.

Self balancing bikes...

The latter two have already seen functioning prototypes made, I believe. Possibly both Honda?

Lane assist though, I think that would actually go too far. You already need to be maintaining spatial awareness & control, in theory nobody would benefit from it. If they did, I would think there is a basic skill deficiency that goes way beyond things like fine manipulation of the controls for braking & accelerating

basic skill deficiency

Exactly the basis for most of this useless tech.

My current bike has 8 levels of traction control, Anti-wheelie, lean angle sensitive 3 stage abs, rear wheel lift mitigation...

I turn off most of the nannies, except abs

Exactly the basis for most of this useless tech.

My current bike has 8 levels of traction control, Anti-wheelie, lean angle sensitive 3 stage abs, rear wheel lift mitigation...

I turn off most of the nannies, except abs

Isn't most of that tech aimed at the track riders?

Isn't most of that tech aimed at the track riders?

Yeah, I don't think those are nanny tech, they're high performance aids.

That said, better performance is not necessarily a good thing. Like the dual-clutch transmissions in cars these days, which will smoke the manual tranny 0-60 in the same vehicle. But is it fun? Not by a long shot.

Honda's DCT will probably get better and be able to out-drag the clutched version of the same motorcycle in the future. But the day I ride a scooter shaped like a motorcycle is the day I hang up my keys.

Last edited:

I just discovered that Lane Departure Assist in some cars will annoyingly tug on the steering wheel to keep you in your lane if you try to change lanes without signalling.

As a motorcyclist I think this is The. Best. Feature. Ever.

Make it mandatory on every single car and truck manufactured from now on and make sure the driver can't turn it off.

I suppose my dad would say the self locking feature when cars go above 15-20km/hr. Drives him nuts as some vehicles this can't be modified.

I recall the first car he owned with it and he tried to get out about 20 ft down the road and he yelled 'DOES IT LOOK LIKE I LIVE IN DETROIT?'

Good times.

EDIT: Whoops, bike tech. My bad!

Keyless ignition/RF-controlled ignition defeat. Great way to strand yourself when a $75 part decides to malfunction. What's so difficult about putting a key in a lock and turning it?
This tech in cars really just makes it so I've found 3 cars running in parking lots with the doors all unlocked and the engine running and a coworker left his car running while he went on vacation for a week.

I had a Nissan rental with emergency brake warning. Apparently I drive too aggressively for it because it was beeping at me every time I stopped.

I had a Nissan rental with emergency brake warning. Apparently I drive too aggressively for it because it was beeping at me every time I stopped.

I really hate that thing. Driving up to cars that are stopped at a light after it changes green, the sensors panic as they don't know the cars will be gone by the time you get there.

I suppose my dad would say the self locking feature when cars go above 15-20km/hr. Drives him nuts as some vehicles this can't be modified.

I recall the first car he owned with it and he tried to get out about 20 ft down the road and he yelled 'DOES IT LOOK LIKE I LIVE IN DETROIT?'

Good times.

EDIT: Whoops, bike tech. My bad!

YES! Autolock is a pos feature.My wifes Civic drives me nuts that way.My Goldwing had the same autolock feature.Set you keys down in the trunk walk away........locked.No way to get in without the spare or a big holesaw.Only happened once to me.Useless feature.

YES! Autolock is a pos feature.My wifes Civic drives me nuts that way.My Goldwing had the same autolock feature.Set you keys down in the trunk walk away........locked.No way to get in without the spare or a big holesaw.Only happened once to me.Useless feature.

Easily defeated. How-to is in the owner's manual

Back
Top Bottom