Newbie to motorcycles | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Newbie to motorcycles

I should probably point out that I did ride a 250cc bike back home and had insurance there. The ducati is my first bike in Ontario.

Ok, so I pulled out my policy.

As mentioned, I had to bundle bike cover with my car. I paid my car premium up-front when I arrived in the country: $1437 for a 10 Honda Accord. I have no insurance history in Ontario but do in my home country. I had to show this to Scotia as part of the bike insurance and they then also also applied a a discount on my car to give me some credit for experience.

OK, so for the bike policy: Under 'Liability' ($1M), my premium says '$13'. Under 'Accident Benefits (Standard Benefits), it says '$73'. Comprehensive is included, $500 deductible, premium '$26'.
Subtotal: $1437, Modification: $137

My totals show $1437 already paid, a modification of $137 for the bike (paid monthly @ $19.57).

So $1574 combined for car + bike. I`m happy enough!

As you should be! You are paying the rates that we all should be paying.
I suspect somebody recorded or your VIN wrong somewhere along the process, check the VIN on the policy against the one stamped on your bike, if they are the same I wouldn't say a word.

As you should be! You are paying the rates that we all should be paying

Really car and bike combined for $1574, new driver to this country.....

Something is still not right, or did I miss something ?

I would expect a bill of about 3 Grand per year for the bike and car.....at minimum......

As you should be! You are paying the rates that we all should be paying

Really car and bike combined for $1574, new driver to this country.....

Something is still not right, or did I miss something ?

I would expect a bill of about 3 Grand per year for the bike and car.....at minimum......

Its unbelievably cheap. Not sure how OP managed to pull it off. Maybe they have 10+ years driving/riding credit from home country, and the location helps. Even then, I'm surprised lol

I tried using a Kawartha postal code on TDs online calculator with my riding profile for the Duc 916, and still got quoted 2k per year.

Its unbelievably cheap. Not sure how OP managed to pull it off. Maybe they have 10+ years driving/riding credit from home country, and the location helps. Even then, I'm surprised lol

I tried using a Kawartha postal code on TDs online calculator with my riding profile for the Duc 916, and still got quoted 2k per year.

If the cover on the bike was really $2K+ a year, I would sell it. I've never lived in an area with such high insurance premiums, and I've lived in a few different countries. Ontario seems off the scale.

If the cover on the bike was really $2K+ a year, I would sell it. I've never lived in an area with such high insurance premiums, and I've lived in a few different countries. Ontario seems off the scale.

I still don't believe you have a bike and car insured for 1500 a year......but hey I have been known to be wrong....

for me it's just not passing the smell test....

My car and bike in the kawarthas is about 1100 a year. It's a 250. I'd assumed that the insurance was so cheap because the bike is so small. Apparently location is a big part of it too

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

I heard plenty of companies won't even touch a Ducati anything.
Some called my MV "restricted" like it was some kind of restricted weapon or something.
When I moved rural my rates did not drop significantly, ymmv.

Nice bike by the way.
Welcome to Ontario, and;
all motorcycles here are invisible including the sexy red ones,
key to survival is to out ride them all,
key to keeping your license and low insurance rate will be to rarely use more then about 5% of Your motorcycles capability.

all motorcycles here are invisible including the sexy red ones,
key to survival is to out ride them all,

yes, OP has ridden for awhile, not sure where
but most places outside NA bikes are given less respect than here

and he may have the time-acquired spidey sense to spot azzholes
and get away from them, preferably behind you

yes, OP has ridden for awhile, not sure where
but most places outside NA bikes are given less respect than here

and he may have the time-acquired spidey sense to spot azzholes
and get away from them, preferably behind you

Actually, it's better to ride behind them, because then they can't get on top of you without your help, but most of us are impatient.

Actually, it's better to ride behind them, because then they can't get on top of you without your help, but most of us are impatient.

you're prolly right with that....

what I meant, was to vary your speed, and lane position
to be as visible as possible.....subtle things that keep us alive
as we watch for left turners in a hurry

buried in a pack of traffic is not where I want to be
and more importantly, I want to be able to ride another day

I heard the 'all Ducatis are blacklisted' line when I was doing my homework on how to get the best cover. I read somewhere that it seems that once superbikes get to 15 years or older, the risk for claims go down, even though when first released they were effectively race bikes with lights and turn signals. This may be because it's mainly older riders that are still keeping bikes from the '80s, '90's, early '00's still on the road.... more experience, less risk(?)

I'm 40 so that may also have been a factor in the premium I got.

Unbelievably, in two years my 916 will be 25 years old and will qualify for Classic insurance options from a few more companies. I'd say I'll be keeping the scotia policy for as long as I can, as you guys are clearly making my $524 a year to be the deal of century...(!)

Also, I'm from New Zealand in case anyone was wondering. I started a thread/blog about the bike on a brit ducati forum here: https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/1995-916.64736/

Last edited:
you're prolly right with that....

what I meant, was to vary your speed, and lane position
to be as visible as possible.....subtle things that keep us alive
as we watch for left turners in a hurry

buried in a pack of traffic is not where I want to be
and more importantly, I want to be able to ride another day

You're right as well, you want to be well in front or well behind these people.

Back to insurance though, it looks like I need to shop around again. :(

I couldn't believe the rate either when the OP posted on the Ducati forum, so I called. With a clean record and full M since 1990, they quoted $658 for my 2002 998 with the following coverage:

Vehicle: 2002 DUCATI 998
Coverage(s) applicable to this vehicle
Third Party Liability $1,000,000
Accident Benefits
Direct Compensation Property Damage
Comprehensive $500
OPCF 40 - Fire Deductible $500
Premium for this vehicle : $653.00/year (plus taxes if applicable)
Additional coverage(s) applicable
OPCF 44R - Family Protection Coverage $1,000,000
Premium for additional coverage(s) : $15.00/year (plus taxes if applicable)

That's $400 less than the next cheapest online quote. My 88 Hawk is insured with TD for $691, and they quoted me $478 for the same coverage. Needless to so say, I'll be switching in Feb when my policy is up.

I heard the 'all Ducatis are blacklisted' line when I was doing my homework on how to get the best cover. I read somewhere that it seems that once superbikes get to 15 years or older, the risk for claims go down, even though when first released they were effectively race bikes with lights and turn signals. This may be because it's mainly older riders that are still keeping bikes from the '80s, '90's, early '00's still on the road.... more experience, less risk(?)

I'm 40 so that may also have been a factor in the premium I got.

Unbelievably, in two years my 916 will be 25 years old and will qualify for Classic insurance options from a few more companies. I'd say I'll be keeping the scotia policy for as long as I can, as you guys are clearly making my $524 a year to be the deal of century...(!)

Also, I'm from New Zealand in case anyone was wondering. I started a thread/blog about the bike on a brit ducati forum here: https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/1995-916.64736/

Sweet bike sir! Shes clean! Im gonna follow that brit thread. Nice find.

Bringing the thread back from the dead.

I called Scotia Financial today. They're a couple hundred per year more than what I pay for two bikes with TD now.

Did our OP ever state where he lives? He's getting an unbelievable deal.

via Tapatalk

Bringing the thread back from the dead.

I called Scotia Financial today. They're a couple hundred per year more than what I pay for two bikes with TD now.

Did our OP ever state where he lives? He's getting an unbelievable deal.

via Tapatalk
Thanks for bumping this thread. I couldn't find it earlier. I called them too today, only to find out that they don't underwrite supersports. I guess OP's 95 Ducati isn't considered a SS for insurance purposes.

And their auto insurance quote was several hundred dollars more expensive than what I'm paying right now and what TD is offering me on renewal next month.

Also, looks like this year is going to be rougher than last year for renewals. I had called TD couple months ago and their quotes now are several hundred dollars worse than before.

Edit: to answer your question, OP is located in the Kawartha region, so thats a big factor too.

Last edited:
I think on the other site he said Peterborough.

Anyone called Scotia for any cruiser quotes?

My wife's insurance roughly doubled this year ($600 to $1100) when she upgraded from her Vstar 650 (her intermediate bike) to her Vstar 1100 - her new "big girl bike" after 3 years of riding. The underwriter Dalton Timmis was using refused to renew her over 1000CC (yeah, even on a cruiser, that seemed just stupid, it was something like 25 more HP) because she has less than 5 years experience.

Back
Top Bottom