CB500x .....in my near future?? Thinking out loud. | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

CB500x .....in my near future?? Thinking out loud.

Re: CB500x ....arriving today !!!!

No centre stand and won't get one.

You're sure? So handy for lubing the chain and airing the tire while on the road, among other things. I wouldn't be without one.

I don't like them and have no trouble lubing ...have lifts for home....just need spools. I have TPMS so know if the pressure is down.

If I’m packing for a big trip I pack on the centrestand. Just let’s me strap things down more equally. Also easier to turn the bike into a stationary chair, lube it on the road, hold the back down to spin the front wheel when needed, park it better in some situations etc. I wouldn’t buy one without a centre stand now. I sold my spool stand years ago as it was more trouble than it was worth. I like a top box for storage when off the bike. Most of the time when riding its nearly empty.

I only get flats in my driveway :D
All else goes to CAA

Do you have a TPMS?

I still have the 46 Litre Shad if I really need it but will look stoopid hanging out the back - if I get the chance to do BC trip I'll buy the bracket.

....We'll see next summer but with my limited riding windows these days as I transition to Australia taking trips more than a week seems "not on" :(

I don't camp and have all synthetics that pack down very small. Camera goes in the tank bag in the waterproof pouch and the side cases will handle the laptop and charger.

The Shad cases are very light ( 2kg each ) as is the 3p mounting...I expect I'll leave the side cases on just as I did the top cases on previous rides.
Easy to get my achy leg over and convenient for 3 season riding.
I want to keep the weight well down on the bike so no need for centre stand I won't use very often.

New bike - not expecting reliability issues. One CB500x rider was on 192,000 km without issues other than bearings.
My model has been out for long enough ( 2016 ) and it's minor changes anyways.

Appreciate the thoughts.....hoping to get the Madstat screen and brackets on today and get some riding in.

Last edited:

Congrats on the new bike! Some nice farkles you got going :)

I do have the center stand on mine and use it 90-95% of the time, not getting the RR skid plate mostly because i loose the stand, and its soooo convenient. Get the RR Levers if you can, they make a huge difference in feel, the SW motech footpegs are good too and lower them about an inch. The Scorpion Exhaust is a good add on aswell, mainly for weight loss, and because standing with the stock exhaust hits the heel/back of the shoe getting annoying.

That's a good idea on the Motech foot pegs...they did feel a bit high.

How much was the Scorpion...not keen on afer market exhaust but weight saving yeah.

What are the RR levers.?..if they are a bit shorter would be good as I want to put Tusk or Bark Busters on.

Got the bike up to 130 for a short bit on the 403 and there was more there. Even with the stock screen the wind was not an issue. Getting 3.3 l per 100 km according to the dash....nice feature I like.

There was little vibration and the Grip Buddies took care of that. Slightly wider bars are useful.

Figured out the kickstand ....use my toe not my heel ....easy then.

I got the Motech footpegs from twisted throttle, I debated the exhaust for a while too. I think your 2017 model has the newer style exhaust, the 2016 one looked horrendous, and my size 12 feet kept hitting it even when sitting. The scorpion also sounds way better, not loud or obnoxious, just deep and clean. I got it from Rally raid UK, with the levers and shipping for $630. The levers are shorter and adjustable on both sides, the black finish also looks better, and they're more ergonomical.

The exhaust seems like alot, keep in mind there's no sawing or cutting, Honda's just slips off. this is a bonus, because If you ever sell the bike the exhaust works on all CB500X, F, and R models and is an easy sell. Takes less than 5-10 mins to put on and off, so you may get some dough back... a big maybe.

I live in Mississauga and if you want to hear or see any of this stuff, I can meet up :)

Want to try the lights tonight ...heard the LEDs are pretty decent. Since it's warm ...good evening for a run.

I got the Motech footpegs from twisted throttle, I debated the exhaust for a while too. I think your 2017 model has the newer style exhaust, the 2016 one looked horrendous, and my size 12 feet kept hitting it even when sitting. The scorpion also sounds way better, not loud or obnoxious, just deep and clean. I got it from Rally raid UK, with the levers and shipping for $630. The levers are shorter and adjustable on both sides, the black finish also looks better, and they're more ergonomical.

The exhaust seems like alot, keep in mind there's no sawing or cutting, Honda's just slips off. this is a bonus, because If you ever sell the bike the exhaust works on all CB500X, F, and R models and is an easy sell. Takes less than 5-10 mins to put on and off, so you may get some dough back... a big maybe.

I live in Mississauga and if you want to hear or see any of this stuff, I can meet up :)
I am not a fan of modificatios. But, I also have the Rally Raid levers, footpegs and exhaust. They all make a huge difference for riding off road for all the same reasons you described.

Macdoc does not plan on doing much offroad, so he may not need them. I'll ride mine through Ganny and the SCORRA tracts.

As for the bikes LED lights, i found it pretty lousy so went ahead and installed these as per the thread, though installed them on the front side forks using Denali brackets (removing the reflectors).

it was easy and pretty affordable, made a BIG difference, can now comfortably ride at night.

Found the lights pretty decent. Lovely night out. What year is your CBX?

Very nice was seeing 311 km for a 13.75 fillup ...still had two bars left. What happens when it gets to reserve?
Got 20 minutes out ...want to go up to the Forks early if it's not foggy.

Found the lights pretty decent. Lovely night out. What year is your CBX?

Very nice was seeing 311 km for a 13.75 fillup ...still had two bars left. What happens when it gets to reserve?
Got 20 minutes out ...want to go up to the Forks early if it's not foggy.
My 2013 stock headlight is the dimmest absolute worst headlight I've seen on any vehicle. Period!

I still use it because I do not ride at night much. I should upgrade it for safety reasons though.

My 2013 stock headlight is the dimmest absolute worst headlight I've seen on any vehicle. Period!

I still use it because I do not ride at night much. I should upgrade it for safety reasons though.

Have you ridden a sealed beam headlight before?

Got the Madstad on ...slick system... really like the wings they have added

R6iXTFEE0E8i31YB0ifAXLQov_pgvvGguYsTdrdto8Lbm00UCu6xpDAcmoJzvCQPjqnPRoHYtclsRh8n44VIlyEVgV8ZqVJYFg6Tj7SWfRzLQJWslLpXGBM3encdyxHCukakeZccq4CPuJxRcpEHPTJnLoaZ-E8wxw6V0nuXYEgOg9IQZBFuGoxXpznbWS7bHEmDQIO_4_TIQzf5jZw3CfnkTeiBjzgwFtPXP0mGzYgKdHiZjMTojn0LIDHQJZCZ18W34Dzs3UnR-H0o1SmgQGZbwDTcK8qGNID6722mFJAEtKAiluChOsA-upJvC6VEUMD7vtDOmS3-0rktYXy0UDnwPbjLhNT02RN2Is3RrYgCsbYeEX87cZcBIkHrDtn_d18SMB64aJ4d_3YjL8fPa_UtghVofEy0sjaL1CUnBULLazibt5d-WrQ9AlY4xswdQf_wZKL1CCtfRqf4A3tl0Wjs9WSngZL0-5etjzV9sBK-FfpBmhdE7WC6XsONvLIWLreEUb_6MrnuE0lP4_D5tQPl-wAJ0EBnT3qxjCVRzCv27rfEEH1UfP6z8x_neulS-4A0NJJrV9U05My6jKc_4JPgWYh-mn3kXPeRXurW0_h-pg68oV8uT_4mHeDNvVQT=w1766-h1258-no

Will have a run once traffic dies down if the rain stays off.

Shad panniers coming tomorrow and got the kickstand foot on as well. Luck fit from the CBF1000.

Last edited:

Staff and I ...was not a hard install but much easier with two people. Pretty slick system.

Took a late ride out towards Guelph ...sore hands but that always happens the first half hour.
...windscreen worked well....just beat the rain ....was raining the last 5 minutes but not heavily

Did not like the bike in first in crawling traffic :(...jerky clutch - partially me partially bike - was not in the mood for it but two guys in a truck decided to close the two left lanes of the 401 to tinker with a guard rail.....FFS what are they thinking. The line up was rather epic.

Back
Top Bottom