Need some input on motorcycle models | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need some input on motorcycle models

zeta_immersion

Right now I have a Daytona. It is my dream bike and love it to death and would break my heart to sell it, however ...

It is a real pain on commuting (mostly heat and some ergonomics)

Is there anyone stupid/crazy enough to ride a SS in the winter or I am the only one contemplating it? Have you made any changes to make it winter friendly?

My other option is a naked which, if anyone is riding in the winter, can you give me some feedback?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Right now I have a Daytona. It is my dream bike and love it to death and would break my heart to sell it, however ...

It is a real pain on commuting (mostly heat and some ergonomics)

Is there anyone stupid/crazy enough to ride a SS in the winter or I am the only one contemplating it? Have you made any changes to make it winter friendly?

My other option is a naked which, if anyone is riding in the winter, can you give me some feedback?

Do you know what friction is and what happens when you don’t have any?

Fair point ... Would rather not test the friction coeficient on my ass or fairings.

But to your question, not test at all in the winter or just with Daytona being bad for winter.
Do you know what friction is and what happens when you don’t have any?

If you're asking for advice on riding in winter - don't

If you're gonna ride in winter, make sure it's in Florida. Or further south. You cannot reliably turn any corners without walking it through here when snow comes. Don't be a BlogTO post about the guy who went to the hospital trying to ride his bike in January snow :/

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

If I were to rephrase the statement as riding in the fall, would it make sense to keep the Daytona or non SS makes more sense?
(Makes sense is is obviously biased /circumstancial)

If ergonomics are an issue, then perhaps better to go the naked route.

+1 avoid riding in winter.

If you're gonna ride in winter, make sure it's in Florida. Or further south. You cannot reliably turn any corners without walking it through here when snow comes. Don't be a BlogTO post about the guy who went to the hospital trying to ride his bike in January snow :/

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Loved this one. Saw the video of an R6 in 2 ft of snow ... Balls of steel, questionable logic though

If I were to rephrase the statement as riding in the fall, would it make sense to keep the Daytona or non SS makes more sense?
(Makes sense is is obviously biased /circumstancial)

In which case I would say I don't think there's anything about SS that would make them worse for fall riding. Some of the ones I've had would be slightly better for it, just because of the increased wind protection and the heat output (the only time it is appreciated). Then again my naked CB919 has a "heated" seat. I have had bikes with tires that were absolutely abysmal when it was cold and wet outside, but that's not exactly the bikes fault and current tires are much, much better

In which case I would say I don't think there's anything about SS that would make them worse for fall riding. Some of the ones I've had would be slightly better for it, just because of the increased wind protection and the heat output (the only time it is appreciated). Then again my naked CB919 has a "heated" seat. I have had bikes with tires that were absolutely abysmal when it was cold and wet outside, but that's not exactly the bikes fault and current tires are much, much better
Interesting, had heated grips on the previous one. Helped a lot arround the freezing mark. Stopped riding when the ambient temperature got to -5 C

Got ya ... Fair. What do you ride at the moment if you don't mind me asking.

Picked up a SS early this year because always wanted one and can finally afford insurance on it... its a Honda Fireblade. Had a naked 650 before that. I typically stop riding around November every season. I also find the Fireblade to be significantly more comfortable than a few other SSs I've tried.

Nothing beats naked in terms of comfort. I could do 5-6 hours straight on the 650, but not on the SS. But that's ok. I mainly commute on it to work, and it's only 30 km one way. I've done 3 hours without any stops several times however, without fatigue.

Last edited:
Picked up a SS early this year because always wanted one and can finally afford insurance on it... its a Honda Fireblade. Had a naked 650 before that. I typically stop riding around November every season. I also find the Fireblade to be significantly more comfortable than a few other SSs I've tried.

Nothing beats naked in terms of comfort. I could do 5-6 hours straight on the 650, but not on the SS. But that's ok. I mainly commute on it to work, and it's only 30 km one way. I've done 3 hours without any stops several times however, without fatigue.
Looks like I will go th naked route -
from March/April to October/November. Breaks my heart selling the Daytona.

Looks like I will go th naked route -
from March/April to October/November. Breaks my heart selling the Daytona.

If you're looking for suggestions on Nakeds - Ducati Monster or Scrambler are my all time favorites. Also Yamaha's FZ09/MT09, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000. KTM Superduke is great too, but their warranty is sketchy from what I heard.

Bought my FZ09 in November of last year, rode it until 2nd week of December. Put it away till end of January and then i was out on it everyday it was +5 in the morning and hadn't rained/snowed over night.

Few traction control niggles but if you`re smart and take your time in the corners it should be fine. This was on stock tires btw, garbagio.

Bought my FZ09 in November of last year, rode it until 2nd week of December. Put it away till end of January and then i was out on it everyday it was +5 in the morning and hadn't rained/snowed over night.

Few traction control niggles but if you`re smart and take your time in the corners it should be fine. This was on stock tires btw, garbagio.
Awesome, thanks Evoex. Looks like the naked is the way to go, especially if I want to commute year round (except snow/extreme cold)

Riding into the colder months is doable. Heated grips and socks and other heated gear is a big plus. You won't be carving corners, but commuting is fine. I ride when there's no snow....or at least when I'm leaving there's not.

Snow covered street riding is blue plate Enduro bike territory; full knobby tires, snowmobile suit over your normal riding clothes, hot shots in the back of your gloves, chin scarf and go for it. If you do wipe out, you just pick the bike back up and continue riding. Fun increases if they close the roads to car traffic. 2-stroke bikes have a huge cold start advantage over 4-stroke bikes if you have to leave your bike parked in a snow bank while you are at school or work for the day.

Keep the Daytona and buy a blue plated 2-stroke Enduro as your second bike ;) never be stranded due to weather again.

Back
Top Bottom