Is it time to finally give up the R6 dream? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it time to finally give up the R6 dream?

This really does assault the concept of every vehicle on the Ontario roads being required by law to carry insurance, and liability being applied to every vehicle instead of every individual operator :|

They really need to change that.

Makes sense, if someone takes your vehicle without consent (Ie. steals it), then it is assumed as uninsured. Clearly that is much different than if a primary policy holder adds a secondary policy holder as an occasional driver. In such a case, consent is implied. For that reason, if you hold a G class license and someone in your household also gets a G class, they are included into your policy as the Insurance company realizes implied consent. If you choose not to go this route, you can file the OPCF 28A form essentially promising that the driver will not operate the vehicle on public roads. If they do and an incident occurs, insurance will not pay out as there is a legally binding document. However, if a secondary policy holder is involved in an accident, insurance would obviously cover it. A secondary driver on a policy is still on the policy.

Except, of course, if that policy was fraudulently obtained.

Makes sense, if someone takes your vehicle without consent (Ie. steals it), then it is assumed as uninsured. Clearly that is much different than if a primary policy holder adds a secondary policy holder as an occasional driver. In such a case, consent is implied. For that reason, if you hold a G class license and someone in your household also gets a G class, they are included into your policy as the Insurance company realizes implied consent. If you choose not to go this route, you can file the OPCF 28A form essentially promising that the driver will not operate the vehicle on public roads. If they do and an incident occurs, insurance will not pay out as there is a legally binding document. However, if a secondary policy holder is involved in an accident, insurance would obviously cover it. A secondary driver on a policy is still on the policy.

There is a difference between 'theft' and 'taking without consent'.
If you add a second driver to a bike policy... it will be charged the least experienced and/or licensed rider's rate... If you haven't been honest with who's riding the bike... they will void coverage when you go to make a claim.
It is not the same as a car.

If you haven't been honest with who's riding the bike... they will void coverage when you go to make a claim.
Nope. Ever wonder why you have to pay for a full policy for every bike you own, regardless of the fact that you can only ride one at a time? I did, so I asked. Basically you can toss your keys to any licensed rider, and that's cool. So say I have 5 bikes in the garage, I have to pay for 5 full policies minus a multi-line discount, however I have the benefit of being able to have 4 friends go for a ride with me on my bikes. Now, if I had a second or third bike that I'm never using(or my friend wants me to "hold onto" a gsxr for him), as long as I'm holding an active policy on that bike, it is fully legit for him to ride it whenever he wants. That is from an insurance agent, not opinion.

Nope. Ever wonder why you have to pay for a full policy for every bike you own, regardless of the fact that you can only ride one at a time? I did, so I asked. Basically you can toss your keys to any licensed rider, and that's cool. So say I have 5 bikes in the garage, I have to pay for 5 full policies minus a multi-line discount, however I have the benefit of being able to have 4 friends go for a ride with me on my bikes. Now, if I had a second or third bike that I'm never using(or my friend wants me to "hold onto" a gsxr for him), as long as I'm holding an active policy on that bike, it is fully legit for him to ride it whenever he wants. That is from an insurance agent, not opinion.
Does your "friend" live in the same household?

According to the insurance company, any one of my friends could ride my bike, whether they live here or not.

Now, they didn't obviously encourage me to hold title and insurance on somebody else's bike, however... prove it.

According to the insurance company, any one of my friends could ride my bike, whether they live here or not.

Now, they didn't obviously encourage me to hold title and insurance on somebody else's bike, however... prove it.

If they need to they will. If you don’t think multimillion dollar businesses that have a business model involving dealing with people and actively trying not to pay out when necessary, haven’t seen every trick in the book.....I have a bridge to sell you.

The difference is when they do live with you (like a teenager) then they must be insured on it as a secondary. They cannot just ride around on your policy like a friend can.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

the issue here is claim time
adjusters don't sit around looking to write cheques

their mandate is to write smaller cheques
or look for ways to write no cheque at all

there's a bonus structure that rewards them for stiffing policy holders

He's not wrong! Anytime you want a whirl on the Grom drop me a line, if you don't crack a smile i'll buy you lunch.

I'm not saying small bikes can't be fun in their own right. I'm sure the Grom's a hoot. All told, though, I'd have more fun at any speed on an R6, an R1 or my TV4F.

I'm not saying small bikes can't be fun in their own right. I'm sure the Grom's a hoot. All told, though, I'd have more fun at any speed on an R6, an R1 or my TV4F.

Each to their own for sure. Owning the Grom has really upset the apple cart mindset I had that a fun new bike has to be bigger.

Coming home last night up yonge I was railing every gear 1-3 sounding like a bat out of hell and throwing the Grom around like it was made of paper. I think about how that makes me feel and how other people must be like wtf....when I pass them and that puts a giant **** eating grin on my face that doesnt fade until I turn the key.

Life is too short not to want that. Hopefully everyone else here is getting a similar feeling from their current rides.

Now will I get another bigger bike? Sure, but it will be a middle weight just to do some longer rides and keep up with the crew.

Last edited:

We're talking about different scenarios.

Call your agent and ask them if you will see an increase if your friend with a m1 moves in and will be allowed to ride your bikes.

Call your agent and ask them if you will see an increase if your friend with a m1 moves in and will be allowed to ride your bikes.

They ask for your relationship status, not room mate status. I don't swing that way, so it doesn't apply to the line of questioning. I'm still single.

Back to the topic of R6s for a second if nobody minds... Why tf is it seemingly impossible to find a steering damper mounting kit for 02-05? Everyone has them for 06-15. Fortnine, amazon, ebay, alie, wish, etc everyone has 06-15 kits. Yes I can find complete damper kits in the $300-2000 range which can be fine depending on brain:money ratio, but since it's little more than a shock that goes from steering head to tank mount, I'd rather go under $100

Last edited:
They ask for your relationship status, not room mate status. I don't swing that way, so it doesn't apply to the line of questioning. I'm still single.
Clearly it is dependant on who the insurer is then. I got specifically asked if anyone in the household has a M class license, regardless of relation, both in regards to an Aviva and Echelon quotes.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Clearly it is dependant on who the insurer is then. I got specifically asked if anyone in the household has a M class license, regardless of relation, both in regards to an Aviva and Echelon quotes. Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
It might be more dependent on who the sales rep is. They're there to sell policies. The adjusters are there to minimize claims. You need to remember that neither is necessarily on your side.

Back to the topic of R6s for a second if nobody minds... Why tf is it seemingly impossible to find a steering damper mounting kit for 02-05? Everyone has them for 06-15. Fortnine, amazon, ebay, alie, wish, etc everyone has 06-15 kits. Yes I can find complete damper kits in the $300-2000 range which can be fine depending on brain:money ratio, but since it's little more than a shock that goes from steering head to tank mount, I'd rather go under $100

Yea, let's get back to R6 talk :D
You kind of answered your own question, 02-05 is a 3 year period vs 06-16 being a 10 year. There are significantly more models out there that are 06+ so finding parts for such models will also be easier. I'm looking at a damper from myself, most likely a rotary style one like the GPR V4 since they are more durable in a crash. Also, for the love of god, do not buy a knockoff damper. I'm a aliexpress whore but some parts you can't skimp out on. If that piston seizes in the damper, say bye-bye to your steering.

I've had it out with an adjuster before, nasty bunch. Tried to not pay me for my car when somebody else hit it, because I didn't have collision. I didn't take no for an answer, said I don't need to have collision when the idiot that sideswiped it has liability. They'll try anything to keep your money in their coffers.

Back
Top Bottom