No more drive clean! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

No more drive clean!

Probably important to put into context that Doug Ford has never been a proponent of climate change. Perhaps there were valid reasons for scrapping Drive Clean that can be debated, but not having a replacement in place is foolish.

WHOSE PUMPED FOR SOME ENGINE SWAPS?!?

This is fantastic. Think of all the LS swap opportunities.

Love it.

Only problem for me is this becomes effective April 1, 2019. My plates need renewal for Mar/19 so I'm going to have to submit to one more test...

A) I’ve never been a fan of the drive clean program. I don’t think it serves any purpose anymore now that most cars and vehicles on the road are newer (fuel injected, high tech, etc)

B) I doubt that cost of the validation sticker will go down when it no longer includes the etest.

I guess this is one of the “efficiencies” Ford was talking about.

How many etests are done annually in Ontario that are “free”? A few million maybe? At $30 each...

The cancellation of the Drive Clean program will NOT benefit you, in Jan. It remains in place until 01 Apr 2019, so if your due for an etest in Jan you will still be required to get it done.

Would like to see a thorough analysis to see if the program was doing something or not. Like if you say you're ending the program because most cars passed... do they pass because people don't get non-compliant vehicles tested until they're repaired? What are the most common reasons for failure, and what projected emissions increase/decrease does that represent? If you get rid of the program, will anyone ever replace a catalytic converter again? Could there be unintended consequences of people getting their car into a shop less often, given that we have no inspection requirements other than at time of sale?

Also this is working out for me exactly like Rob Ford cancelling whatever that vehicle licensing tax was - my renewals are in January and my car has the CEL on for EVAP reasons :/

Are TTC diesel busses still as bad as they used to be? You'll know just by being behind one on take-off.
... historically they were exempt from emission testing and the requirement to run pollution control equipment. <- they sell you on the concept of using public transit because it pollutes less, reality is they pollute the most, leak oil like crazy and operate on a schedule even when there are no passengers.

The program seemed like a joke, and just a tax grab. I have no real analysis other then basic appearance, an news stories. I only had to use it once years ago when I had an older used car. Every car since then was new enough to be excluded from the program. I also had the impression diesel vesicles were not tested, or not tested adequately. So what was the point.

I like what Ford is doing. Go Dougie!

A tax grab? If you think the government made any money of the drive clean test....

A tax grab? If you think the government made any money of the drive clean test....

Who says the government makes money, they only spend it.
Hence tax grab.

Sent from the moon!

Years ago my neighbor sold my dad his old Ford truck for cheap because he couldn't get it to pass emissions. It had dual gas tanks, so with regular gas in one tank, my dad mixed paint thinner and I think avgas in the other, and swapped over tanks in the shop parking lot. Didn't run too well but ran clean enough to pass. If you wanted to get super creative you could find a way to pass just about anything.

I think the program was beneficial in 90's when cars from the 70's and 80's were on the road getting 6mpg. Now we're testing cars from 2010 that run clean and get 30mpg, there is just no point to it. Sure a few bad apples will get by, but nothing to be concerned about.

Swaportunities! lol

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

The cancellation of the Drive Clean program will NOT benefit you, in Jan. It remains in place until 01 Apr 2019, so if your due for an etest in Jan you will still be required to get it done.
ha, my bday is apr 1st. happy bday to meeeee

One place in Toronto was guaranteeing a pass,
lol friend discovered they installed 2 used cat converters on his honda car.

About friggin' time someone eliminated this program. It was never a Province-wide program so there were still a huge number of light duty vehicles that never got tested. You didn't even need to live too far from the GTA to be exempt from the program either, so many of those vehicles were most likely driven into areas where testing was mandatory.

The change from the original test that actually measured tail pipe emissions made no sense to me. I had a perfectly good '04 Mazda3 that easily passed the original test, but failed the OBD test due to a check engine light. That same sensor fault was active the last time it passed the original test, so I'm not sure what benefit the newer OBD test could provide regarding emissions.

Typical government program that targeted everyone when perhaps only a small number of vehicles really needed to be tested. All of my test results over the years indicated that my vehicles were running at the extreme low end of the test range and nowhere near a fail. The 5% fail rate is an overall statistic for all tests. The garage people I spoke to over the years told me that it was extremely rare for any vehicle less than 5 years old to fail and that the process was a waste of time.

You'd think government would have reviewed the results of the tests after a few years and then fine tuned the program to target age of vehicles or type of vehicle that had a high failure rate and then let the majority of us off the hook, but no, that would make too much sense.

This is the same government system that has a comprehensive narcotic drug dispensing record system and knows that a very small percentage of doctors in the province are dispensing 80%+ of pain meds to people (like more than 10,000 prescriptions per MD) yet no one has actually followed through and used the data to target bogus prescription mills that have contributed to people dying on the street.

Last edited:
Are TTC diesel busses still as bad as they used to be? You'll know just by being behind one on take-off.
... historically they were exempt from emission testing and the requirement to run pollution control equipment. <- they sell you on the concept of using public transit because it pollutes less, reality is they pollute the most, leak oil like crazy and operate on a schedule even when there are no passengers.

Where did you come up with that piece of misinformation?

The change from the original test that actually measured tail pipe emissions made no sense to me. I had a perfectly good '04 Mazda3 that easily passed the original test, but failed the OBD test due to a check engine light. That same sensor fault was active the last time it passed the original test, so I'm not sure what benefit the newer OBD test could provide regarding emissions.

It was became infinitely harder to fake the test when they moved to the OBD test.

Back
Top Bottom