Attempting to do front brake pads | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Attempting to do front brake pads

had a few minutes to kill, here's the bedding-in procedure from EBC:
note the time it takes to complete the break-in, 1000 - 1500 MILES
that could take 5 years for some riders

9) Bedding in EBC pads

In Street use situations …

Best procedure is to drive gently avoiding harsh braking unless in an emergency for first 100 miles. In the second 100 miles (up to 200) you can use gently increasing brake pressures when using the brakes.

Only after 200 miles urban driving (not 200 miles on a freeway where brakes are almost unused) should you attempt to apply heavy load and heat to the brakes. To do this final bedding on a QUIET ROAD in safe traffic apply the brakes and slow from 60 to 10 MPH five times in a row. Then drive slowly for a few minutes if safe to do so to allow the brakes to cool. Try to avoid coming to a rest whilst the brakes are heated.

A smell may be noticed from the warm brakes, this is normal. Repeat this procedure a second time after the brakes have TOTALLY cooled down. EBC pads get better with miles. Even after this bed in procedure it can take up to 1500 miles before the pads are at their best. In the meantime the pads will be good and safe but true potential not realised. EBC makes performance pads that last, they do not bed in within 5 minutes driving. Noises will be more likely during the first 1000-1500 miles use whilst this chemical bedding takes place.

NEVER attempt to sand or scotchbrite brake pads to assist it bedding in or noise reduction,this will only make things worse by taking the pads “Off-Flat” and require hundreds of miles driving to seat them again during which time the brakes will feel very dull. The only way to seat pads is against the rotor they will be used on and by following our bedding recommendation.
Jesus Christ!....does everyone that uses EBC Pads ever do all of this? I thought scrubbing in new tires was bad. I read this, and completely forgot what they were saying because there seems to be so much to it :lmao:
I have already "broke the rules" of their so called bedding procedure.
Thanks for the info though! I will start the procedure over again I guess.

Jesus Christ!....does everyone that uses EBC Pads ever do all of this? I thought scrubbing in new tires was bad. I read this, and completely forgot what they were saying because there seems to be so much to it :lmao:
I have already "broke the rules" of their so called bedding procedure.
Thanks for the info though! I will start the procedure over again I guess.

I've done the hot bedding procedure with cars (5 consecutive 60-10 mph followed by 5 minutes of driving with no brakes), but never on a bike. It smells bad but works well on cars.

Those bedding instructions are usually printed on the blister pack the pads came in, at least they used to be

Those bedding instructions are usually printed on the blister pack the pads came in, at least they used to be
Ya there were bedding instructions on the back of my brake pad package.....but not nearly as detailed as this.
Any who, I am just going to ride my bike as is. Bike is stopping on a dime. I'll give em some time for the squealing to stop...and if it doesn't I will take pads out and sand em down. Not the end of the world, just a bit irritating. For what it's worth, not much to stress about because they are braking fantastic. I'm over it LOL!

only part of that I'd take seriously is this
I'd do it twice like they say
then ride and forget about the rest of it

apply the brakes and slow from 60 to 10 MPH five times in a row

Same logic with new runners on a sled.

only part of that I'd take seriously is this
I'd do it twice like they say
then ride and forget about the rest of it

apply the brakes and slow from 60 to 10 MPH five times in a row

Indeed I did! Almost as bad as my friend that did his brake pads and didn't push the brake lever 3-5 times for the pistons to get in position....that could have ended very bad

I like the Galfer break-in instructions way better:
"Brake pads should be bedded in to clean rotors (see rotor maintenance). Start with slow stops ranging from 10-15 mph and increasing in blocks of 10 mph until about 40-50 mph. Repeat this step 2-3 times and resume casual riding. Bedding in brake pads helps prevent glazing and helps to mate the pads to the rotor surface."

... but to be honest I just ride them like I just put new pads on and after about 3 days I usually just forget about em.

I like the Galfer break-in instructions way better:
"Brake pads should be bedded in to clean rotors (see rotor maintenance). Start with slow stops ranging from 10-15 mph and increasing in blocks of 10 mph until about 40-50 mph. Repeat this step 2-3 times and resume casual riding. Bedding in brake pads helps prevent glazing and helps to mate the pads to the rotor surface."

... but to be honest I just ride them like I just put new pads on and after about 3 days I usually just forget about em.
That's a bit more straight forward lol! Yep, I'm just going to forget about it and ride like I always have. It will all work itself out :p

I tend to think you're right, it will work out

in my industry - mining and construction equipment
we call it burnishing, it's the same procedure, just bigger-heavier stuff

reason we do it on heavy euipment is that new brakes just don't stop well without it
if you're stopping fine I think the new pads will bed in just fine from normal riding

Gee i wonder why the front brake is so noisy?
Before.(new wheel bearings while i'm at it.
P8040020_zpsvquoou9g.jpg

Shiny.
P8040021_zpsdecwelk8.jpg

Rotor hone.
P8040022_zps2iewt58u.jpg

Not shiny.
P8040024_zps7pfik6eg.jpg

Doing rear brake pads and rotor on my bike, some parts of it seem to be easier as a two man job.
WIzx2ju.jpg

Now I'm waiting on a new rear tire.
k7jIF8F.jpg

Last edited:
Where do you get brake fluid from?
Moto branded stuff or just use Dot4 stuff from CanTire?
I need to do a flush and have time to do it today, so I'd rather buy it in person locally (Mississauga area)
Thanks!

Edit: saw that Corsa Motocicletta has Motul Dot 5.1 and I've never been there, so going to check it out!

Last edited:
Well after 6 years and 140,000km I finally changed my brake fluid.
What a difference!

And Corsa Motocicletta is a nice shop.

Where do you get brake fluid from?
Moto branded stuff or just use Dot4 stuff from CanTire?
I need to do a flush and have time to do it today, so I'd rather buy it in person locally (Mississauga area)
Thanks!
Edit: saw that Corsa Motocicletta has Motul Dot 5.1 and I've never been there, so going to check it out!
While you are there you may as well grab some Motul 7100 10W-40 for $60. He doesn't bring in a whack load and sells quick sometimes. Great price, and its local!

Back
Top Bottom