Home Improvement Projects | GTAMotorcycle.com

Home Improvement Projects

black_CG2

Since May, I have been unemployed from my regular career (Senior Business Analyst/Intermediate PM). During this downtime, I worked with a subcontractor to refinish decks. Power wash, sanding, staining etc. You know the drill. I became quite handy with the tools used and methods applied. However, there is no work other than refinishing decks and I am looking forward to get back to my actual career prospects. The prep work in refinishing decks is extremely boring and working under sun for days really sucks.

Would any kind GTAM member be able to show me a thing or two while they do their own home reno work? I am willing to learn anything electrical, plumbing, installing a sink, kitchen cabinet etc. I am a good sport and a great listener if that helps:D. Will bring beer. Pick your favourite.

Thank you! This forum has been amazing. I hope to learn and make myself more handy, so when I become a home owner, I would have full confidence in me.

A for effort CG2. I'm not working on anything at the moment or I'd take you up on your offer. There is a small chance that I will need to gut and finish a bathroom soon. If it happens, I will be in touch.

The simplified electrical code book is a good read ($20 or so at the box stores, maybe at library?).

If you want to learn about framing, there are lots of good (and many not good) online resources. Watch anything you can find with Larry Haun. That man knew how to get things done.

Working Alone by John Carroll is great for ideas.

Great offer! I love doing work with my dad as I learn a ton.

have you considered volunteering for Habitat for Humanity? I believe they always need volunteers and people that want to get their hands dirty.

Also there’s plenty of guys looking for labour and dependable is hard to find. Check Kijiji and may as well make some cash in the process.

I have the skills, had the time, just not the motivation. lol Good on ya trying to learn. Volunteering for Habitat sounds like a way to go, or being an assistant to a tradesman.

I'm about to powerwash, sand and stain my fence. If you want to do the manaul labour part I can show you. It'll fetch a pretty penny since it's a lot of work and hard to do it right.

I'm about to powerwash, sand and stain my fence. If you want to do the manaul labour part I can show you. It'll fetch a pretty penny since it's a lot of work and hard to do it right.
I can attest to that.
Did my deck last year.
OP hit me up with a PM
My little brother is an electrician and he may need some help for some grunt work. Not glamorous but you may learn a thing or two.
Also, if I had any work and you came by to help, the food and beer would be on me. Just sayin'

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Isnt it same refinishing decks?

Great offer! I love doing work with my dad as I learn a ton.

have you considered volunteering for Habitat for Humanity? I believe they always need volunteers and people that want to get their hands dirty.

Also there’s plenty of guys looking for labour and dependable is hard to find. Check Kijiji and may as well make some cash in the process.

Habitat for Humanity asks to raise money so that you can take part lol. I will check kijiji for cash work though :D.

I can attest to that.
Did my deck last year.
OP hit me up with a PM
My little brother is an electrician and he may need some help for some grunt work. Not glamorous but you may learn a thing or two.
Also, if I had any work and you came by to help, the food and beer would be on me. Just sayin'

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

PM is coming.

A for effort CG2. I'm not working on anything at the moment or I'd take you up on your offer. There is a small chance that I will need to gut and finish a bathroom soon. If it happens, I will be in touch.

The simplified electrical code book is a good read ($20 or so at the box stores, maybe at library?).

If you want to learn about framing, there are lots of good (and many not good) online resources. Watch anything you can find with Larry Haun. That man knew how to get things done.

Working Alone by John Carroll is great for ideas.

Yup, Larry Haun is an awesome guy. I have watched his videos on YouTube. Let me know about the bathroom though. Is there a title for simplified electrical code book? Or pretty much that is the title?

Last edited:
That was horizontal this is vertical.

If only you had posted a few months ago. Just did a full reno on a house...

Thinking about building a wall for a garden. How are your digging skills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfVOPqztUmQ&t=469s

That would the goal along with replacing all the sod in the back yard...

Ugh, that guy goes in the not good category. I've seen worse but that wall wouldn't last very long in Ontario.

That was horizontal this is vertical.

If only you had posted a few months ago. Just did a full reno on a house...

Thinking about building a wall for a garden. How are your digging skills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfVOPqztUmQ&t=469s

That would the goal along with replacing all the sod in the back yard...

Never really dug anything but willing to learn :D. Where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom