Better shape = faster? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Better shape = faster?

Man this forum is just getting more and more stupid, only about 2 people had the brains to answer properly? People talking about fuel and braking??? 20 pounds makes a huge difference in your core which helps you move faster and easier allowing you to be in the right position and last longer at a faster speed.

Is it winter? go out there and ride. Don't believe the saying.... there are stupid questions.

That better shape would have to be more aerodynamic or you won't be any faster.

#properanswer

Better core = ability to ride longer and get into positions easier. It will help your indirectly.

will agree with that 100%

used to be able to do 1,000 km days without much difficulty
due to an injury last fall and 4 months in bed or a chair
I have gained 30 lbs and lost a lot of flexibility

trip down south I could manage only around 700 without dieing to be dismounted

You have two objects in motion travelling at the same speed and object A weighs more than object B. You apply the exact same opposing force to both objects...object B will stop in a shorter distance than object A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In which direction is the force of gravity applied? When you resolve the two vectors how much deeper in the Earth is the heavier person buried? Why?

p.s. below is the formula for stopping distance. Gravitational Acceleration is a constant 9.8 metres per second squared.

stopping_distance_formula_1.png

If however you demand still more ...change sprockets.
This.

It's like riding a new bike. But on the fz09, which is already an easy wheelie machine, you might want to go on the milder side for sprocket change (like teeth in back and not touch the front lol)

Put it this way, you will not find top level riders in WSBK, MotoGP, etc who are overweight or out of shape. Physical training is a big part of their regimen.

It helps with endurance, it helps with moving around on the bike, it helps with muscling the bike around for making quick direction changes.

I met Marco Melandri in person 2 days ago. He's small. I can tell you more about it at the forks on Monday if I recover from jet lag enough by then...

Put it this way, you will not find top level riders in WSBK, MotoGP, etc who are overweight or out of shape. Physical training is a big part of their regimen.

This, and ZX600's post.

Go to any track day or race, the vast majority are either jacked (explosive strength focused athletes) or lean (cardiovascular focused athletes). There are very few obese or overweight guys on the actual track.

Lack of stamina becomes extremely obviously when you learn how to handle the motorcycle correctly and are hanging off like an aggressive monkey. Proper SS riding stance involves balls of feet on pegs + full squat. This means your quads and lower back are constantly engaged. If one is fat, fatigue will take a toll far quicker than for one that is fit.

As for weight affecting speed: this is absolutely true. I went to track with a tiny girl that weighs 100lbs. Everyone else in the group was 150lb+. We were only CBR125s. The closest we got to passing her was when someone rammed their front tire up her rear tire due to trying too hard. We simply could not pass her and she would slowly, but surely, pull away. Everyone's riding skill was pretty equal (when we were on SS bikes, our pacing was very close.)

The weight does make a difference, though probably negligible unless you're trying to be a track pro. On the street, it'll be just about your feeling and comfort. Every spring I feel like doo doo on the bike because I usually gain weight in winter and shave it off over summer months. I definitely feel much better riding in September/October than in April.

Motorcycle racing for sure there is a weight of rider factor and most are on the small size and in motocross in particular ..fitness AND flexibility are critical to go faster. I think only downhill mogul skiers need that kind of mix and they don't undertake it for anywhere near the period of time a motocross race entails.

I know more than one racer that thought losing a bunch of weight would make them faster... but got slower.
Talk to Sandy Nocce.

20-lbs is a lot of extra mass to haul around, both for you and the machine.

For a 175HP Tuono losing twenty pounds would be roughly the equivalent of keeping that weight but having to add ~4HP. Example, if you're 170 pounds with gear, the bike weighs 461-lbs and it has 175HP peak, the weight to power ratio is about 3.62 lbs/hp. Bump yourself up to 190-lbs with gear (+20 lbs) and that ratio goes to 3.72. To get the same ratio as with your svelter-self you'd need 178.8HP. I'd rather put down the bag of Cheetos than chase 4HP through the engine.

Fitter folks don't fatigue as easily. They're more flexible. They generally have quicker reflexes. They recover more quickly from injury and are less-likely to be injured in the first place. All of those things suggest to me that if you have 20-lbs more than you "need" you're probably not doing as well as you otherwise might.

Having said that, for the average guy on the average bike on the average surface street on an average ride, I doubt you'd notice the difference.

I know more than one racer that thought losing a bunch of weight would make them faster... but got slower.
Talk to Sandy Nocce.

For anyone reading this, here are some extremely obvious rebuttals for this:

Was he getting enough sleep?

Did he only lose weight? Or was he working on fitness in general?

If he did throw in a fitness routine, was he managing rest days and track? You cannot, for example, pull a PR squat, bench, and deadlift then expect to perform at 100% on track the next day.

Was he eating enough? Shredding leads to a net energy loss. This has an effect on performance.

Does old age have anything to do with this?

Medical conditions?

etc. etc.

You will NOT get slower when becoming more fit. You will, however, get slower if you do **** wrong.

Getting married, getting a mortgage, having kids, and getting older also tend to make one slower ...

Getting married, getting a mortgage, having kids, and getting older also tend to make one slower ...
So if you stay single, become homeless and get snipped while staying in mid life crisis, you'll always stay fast? :D

Cause if you're not first, you're last

Serious Question:

If i were to get in better shape and lose like 20 lbs will I go faster? or nah?

Acceleration etc will be affected?

Curious why you said faster and not ride better :confused:
planning on going to the drag strip any time soon?

According to most of the responses, it seems being in better shape will not only make you faster, but probably a better rider as well

It helps with endurance, it helps with moving around on the bike, it helps with muscling the bike around for making quick direction changes.

I met Marco Melandri in person 2 days ago. He's small. I can tell you more about it at the forks on Monday if I recover from jet lag enough by then...

What time?

According to most of the responses, it seems being in better shape will not only make you faster, but probably a better rider as well

Take a look at your average professional motorcycle racer in any discipline and yes, they usually look like they are ready for the olympics.
save maybe the drag strip & world land speed record stuff.

Back
Top Bottom