Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread! | Page 208 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread!

CBR is GP, VFR is regular, its not a problem.

Same. Track KTM GP, street KTM regular shift. No biggie.

Work on the bike is coming along. Fixed the shift lever and linkage, washed all the dirt and grass off - thankfully, no beans were found. Bodywork off the bike and have some resin applied to a couple areas to start the fill-in process.. let that dry, and add the fibreglass and more resin on the inside for strength.
Sigh.

Bodywork off the bike and have some resin applied to a couple areas to start the fill-in process.. let that dry, and add the fibreglass and more resin on the inside for strength.
Sigh.
Out of curiosity, what's the cost for the fiberglass repair on the fairings? I'm just trying to get an idea for when I'll end up in the same boat

depends how often you crash... Tim gets a volume discount, so your price might be higher.

Couldn't resist.

Can of resin and fiberglass cloth. $40.

And Randy, you're a putz. ;-)

Working with fiberglass is a skill. Small pieces, after 3-4 minutes it goes tacky and becomes a mess. I usually mix up a few different batches for a set of repairs.

Exacto knife to score the fairing, measure and cut all of the patches. I prefer the mesh vs the strand, its easier to work with. coat the first patch, scrape off the excess, put it down. 2nd patch of the same size layed over top, which will soak up the excess resin. Don't overdo the resin, it can get heavy. Repeat. Wear a proper respirator this stuff is harsh on the lungs if you sit in the fumes. Once its set, don't mess with it. Use nitrile gloves. I like using a small paint brush, one of those 10 for $1 ones from princess auto, and tweezers.

I've got the Racer5 course this weekend, so I dusted off the leather suit to make sure it still fits. And it does!.....barely.
Damn! I've got to start hitting the elliptical...lol!

I've got the Racer5 course this weekend, so I dusted off the leather suit to make sure it still fits. And it does!.....barely.
Damn! I've got to start hitting the elliptical...lol!

Have a great time, I loved the course and recommend it to a ton of people. Hopefully I'll see some of that new found talent at GBM soon. June 7th can't come quick enough.

Well, repairs are still underway on my poor RC8.
Cleaned it up
Reset the suspension (everything was correct according to manuals)
Fixed shift lever
Replaced shift linkage
Put on other rear tire with Dunlop GPA Medium+ mounted
Ordered new shorty levers (old ones took a hit and ended up rashed)
Unfortunately, the bodywork took significantly more damage than was apparent from the photos that Smergy posted up. Lots of splits and cracks that were hidden by the wrap, popped off gel coat. Have the majority of it complete - should be about another hour or so of prep, fibreglass and sanding. After that, re-wrap the tail completely and patch the wrap in areas that had holes etc.

Waiting for a fellow to get back to me on the price of a medium Dunlop KR slick, but I'm really thinking I'd like to give the Bridgestone RS11 a try, but it's stupid expensive at $180ish plus taxes etc.

Next is mounting Dunlop GPA Medium to other rim and buying/mounting new front.

Hope to have the majority of work done mid next week and have a new tire on order by then too.

Last edited:
Have a great time, I loved the course and recommend it to a ton of people. Hopefully I'll see some of that new found talent at GBM soon. June 7th can't come quick enough.

Even though we've got rain and cooler temps in the forecast I'm still really looking forward to this weekend! I packed my rain suit.... I'm assuming I can wear it over my leathers?....
Is June 7th a practice day for SOAR? I would love to go but I don't have the pace to be out on the track with those guys....

Well, repairs are still underway on my poor RC8.
Cleaned it up
Reset the suspension (everything was correct according to manuals)
Fixed shift lever
Replaced shift linkage
Put on other rear tire with Dunlop GPA Medium+ mounted
Ordered new shorty levers (old ones took a hit and ended up rashed)
Unfortunately, the bodywork took significantly more damage than was apparent from the photos that Smergy posted up. Lots of splits and cracks that were hidden by the wrap, popped off gel coat. Have the majority of it complete - should be about another hour or so of prep, fibreglass and sanding. After that, re-wrap the tail completely and patch the wrap in areas that had holes etc.

Waiting for a fellow to get back to me on the price of a medium Dunlop KR slick, but I'm really thinking I'd like to give the Bridgestone RS11 a try, but it's stupid expensive at $180ish plus taxes etc.

Next is mounting Dunlop GPA Medium to other rim and buying/mounting new front.

Hope to have the majority of work done mid next week and have a new tire on order by then too.

Yikes! Good thing you know your way around fiberglass....lol
Swapping out those cursed tires is a good move!!

Shoot, I got a midterm on June 7th so it looks like the first trackday will be May 22 at GBM
I have a feeling June 7th might be a SOAR day since it's so close to the friday but I could be wrong.

@Katatonic, the SOAR days are a bit of a free for all. It depends how many show up anywhere from 1-4 groups, but typically 2 maybe 3. They usually run a slow an slow fast or a slow/fast even/fast odd setup. You can really just go out in any group you like. The slow group is a higher end yellow type pace, which you'd be fine in, but the fast group generally is reasonably quick. Passing is completely open and prepare for aggressive maneuvers in the fast group. Most riders are reasonable, but there are a handful that are there to add to their collection of practice day wins and will do anything to achieve their goal.. win it or bin it.

More than likely June.7 is a pre-CSBK practice day, so expect some quick riders.

@Katatonic,

More than likely June.7 is a pre-CSBK practice day, so expect some quick riders.

Oh right, CSBK is that weekend not SOAR.
We'll see how I'm feeling after this weekend but I'm good to go that day of everyone else is going.

Oh right, CSBK is that weekend not SOAR.
We'll see how I'm feeling after this weekend but I'm good to go that day of everyone else is going.

Ya June 7 is the Thursday before CSBK. 5-9. It's a good day for me to test out the R6 for me and see what's what.

I did the same thing last year before CSBK and there were only a handful of people out. Some big rigs came in to set up and be ready for Friday practice. They might have ran 2 or 3 groups I don't remember but I ran green then and first time out on the R6 I'll be running green again so I'm not too worried. The CSBK guys will be running fast and in a yellow/red group or red only.

We can get a roll call going closer to the date for that evening.

Ya June 7 is the Thursday before CSBK. 5-9. It's a good day for me to test out the R6 for me and see what's what.

I did the same thing last year before CSBK and there were only a handful of people out. Some big rigs came in to set up and be ready for Friday practice. They might have ran 2 or 3 groups I don't remember but I ran green then and first time out on the R6 I'll be running green again so I'm not too worried. The CSBK guys will be running fast and in a yellow/red group or red only.

We can get a roll call going closer to the date for that evening.
Wait.... Is June 7th at GBM 5:00-9:00 or 9:00-5:00? If it's in the evening then it's not worth the drive for me. If it is during the day then I should be good.

Back
Top Bottom