Is it too soon to get a SS (600cc) bike? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it too soon to get a SS (600cc) bike?

Because they look cool, most of these are younger males with what they believe is disposable income.

It's the premium you pay for enjoyment. I've ****** away more than 3k a year in drinking. I decided I was tired of waiting until it was the smart(tm) thing to do. Life is short, if you have the cash, go have fun.

OP should really give "sport touring" class machines a look. SS bikes are uncomfortable on long rides, impractical and horrendous to insure. They're also cop- and theft-magnets.

Bikes like the Street Triple, MT-09, GSX-S750 etc etc give up nothing in terms of performance to the average 600cc SS on public roads and are way more insurable and comfortable.

As far as insurance, 30 is the new 25 unfortunately. Your location will also be an additional killer.

I'm not sure how previous posters can say a 600 SS is 'a bad idea' for a new rider and then go on to suggest a wheelie/low end torque monster like a FZ07/MT09, that's got me scratching my head; both seem MUCH less forgiving than a 600.

26 and riding for one year
600 SS bike
Brampton

wait 4 years and move first
or keep riding your current bike
that 390 looks like a blast

It's the premium you pay for enjoyment. I've ****** away more than 3k a year in drinking. I decided I was tired of waiting until it was the smart(tm) thing to do. Life is short, if you have the cash, go have fun.
The premium is just the red flag -- SS bikes and beginners are expensive propositions for insurance companies -- it's good to really understand what that means if you're the rider.

You're right that life is short and sometimes it's right to '"damn the torpedoes". Somethings are best done in reasonable steps -- skydiving, mountain climbing, cave diving and SS riding come to mind -- otherwise life can get really short.

OP should really give "sport touring" class machines a look. SS bikes are uncomfortable on long rides, impractical and horrendous to insure. They're also cop- and theft-magnets.

Bikes like the Street Triple, MT-09, GSX-S750 etc etc give up nothing in terms of performance to the average 600cc SS on public roads and are way more insurable and comfortable.

Not really, thats a misnomer, if hes in his 20s, new and living in brampton, he'll still pay out the *** for any of those(The gsxs i was quoted the cheapest because <750cc)

Not really, thats a misnomer, if hes in his 20s, new and living in brampton, he'll still pay out the *** for any of those(The gsxs i was quoted the cheapest because

Kawasaki er6n (naked ninja 650) is always relatively cheap to insure. OP should look into that if he really wants something bigger. Ride it till 30 and then get a SS.
It's what I did. Although I'm not in Brampton, but worth a shot.

I was paying around $1600 for the er6n in my first year of riding. I got this bike after I got my M. I didn't ride in Canada prior to this. Given OP already has a insurance track record, be it 1 year, getting his M would make the er6n more affordable insurance wise. Maybe M2 will be good enough too, given age is 25+.

Also, as I previously mentioned on a few occasions, Kawasaki zzr600 (2007/2008) models are 600cc SS bikes disguised as sport touring motor ycles for insurance purposes. Could always get one of those if OP can find one in good condition, which is difficult.

Edit: fixed post. Text was missing somehow.

Last edited:
Paying mid 3ks for 2017 fz 09, Willing to be it'd be paying roughly the same for a 600 SS

Paying mid 3ks for 2017 fz 09, Willing to be it'd be paying roughly the same for a 600 SS

What the blazes? Really? How old are you?

Not really, thats a misnomer, if hes in his 20s, new and living in brampton, he'll still pay out the *** for any of those(The gsxs i was quoted the cheapest because <750cc)

Damn! Alright time to move to Caledon/Georgetown and get that M ASAP!

Wait, so you're paying mid 3k right now? I thought you didn't want to pay more than 2k for insurance on any kind of motorcycle, naked or SS. Or am I mistaking you with someone else?

Mistaken identities

Havent paid less than 2k since i had the cbr500

Mistaken identities

Havent paid less than 2k since i had the cbr500
Damn didn't realize Brampton is that bad. I thought certain bikes may slide under the radar. OP should still try and get a quote on an er6n. Now I'm more curious to know what it'll be like.

riding in brampton = real commitment

You could get killed at any moment, and you pay some serious dough for riding

If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay at 25 for insurance and whom are you insured with?

Sent from my [device_name] using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I was paying $1700~ or so with Statefarm.

This is no longer possible though hence why I said good luck.

As others have said, having your M does matter. I'm currently paying less $980 for a RSV1000R...go figure.

Insurance companies try to find every excuse in the book to not pay you in your hour of need, you do not want to give them another excuse OP.

Back
Top Bottom