2018 CSBK Predictions | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2018 CSBK Predictions

The cost to be competitive with szoke is more than most of us have to spend. I would like to see a production class, where ecu can be switched from a protest. All stock no suspension upgrades. So at least we have an even playing field. This is not moto gp we don't have unlimited budgets.

So $25,000ish. There once was production classes for 6 and 750. That is where most people raced until they were able to get support to go full superbike. Most never got a full ride but it brought a lot of people to watch friends race. That is why there was so many spectators. Will it work today I don't know.

Cost of the bike is just the beginning. $25k won’t get you far with a new bike, converting it to track, spares (wheels, bodywork, clipons, rearsets, at minimum), tuning etc. The cost of the weekends (entry fees, TIRES, crew, TIRES, fuel, TIRES) is where your wallet gets emptied fast. You can’t conserve rubber and with 40min sessions as a pro you can easily go through a set per session.

The season is 3 months long and it’s just draining. To compete in pro your **** needs to be together in November the year before and there’s no such thing as an “off season” or at least for me there wasn’t. Bike maintenance almost all winter, training, eating right, bike shows, pre season testing, all balanced with working 70hr+ weeks to pay for racing and a family life all for an “atta boy” at best and a giant visa bill in September. Still having fun? How many years can you keep it up and still enjoy it?

all for an “atta boy” at best and a giant visa bill in September. Still having fun? How many years can you keep it up and still enjoy it?

And if you do something noteworthy during a race the official commentary might forget your name, and forget they have live timing info directly in front of them, and refer to you simply as “Rider 56”

Good job, Rider 91.

that sounds like so much fun, I cant wait to turn pro!

In Canada the only real difference from Amateur to pro is the level of competition. No one gets paid to race so it's all about squeezing money from where ever you can. The costs to go racing are not that much different if you want to run at the front in Am Superbike or Pro superbike. You still need fuel and tires and bike maintenance. It's really just a very expensive hobby for 90% of us. :(

Don’t get me wrong, the on track aspect is unbelievable. I’m very happy with how well I did through the first 3 rounds last season.

The intensity at CSBK is unreal when compared to regionals. It’s probably not evident to the fans but for the competitors it’s truly awesome.

The off track stuff is what will lead to burn out.

it was an attempt at humor, I totally get why people do it, its just scary how quickly the prices climb up, and how quickly you start justifying spending large amounts of money on this hobby, and that's just based on my limited experience doing a few regional rounds last year.

hopefully you guys manage to get some support and get back on track soon.

it was an attempt at humor, I totally get why people do it, its just scary how quickly the prices climb up, and how quickly you start justifying spending large amounts of money on this hobby, and that's just based on my limited experience doing a few regional rounds last year.

hopefully you guys manage to get some support and get back on track soon.

The weirdest part is going through the offseason, and now the time of year when everything starts ramping up, with nothing to do.

I’ve been spending a lot of time on my bicycle in the basement.

Racing has been such a huge aspect of my life, that was all I would think about if my mind was left to wander, that I really don’t know what to do with myself these days.

The weirdest part is going through the offseason, and now the time of year when everything starts ramping up, with nothing to do.

Racing has been such a huge aspect of my life, that was all I would think about if my mind was left to wander, that I really don’t know what to do with myself these days.

same here

same here

Hummmm... I know how to keep you guys busy :D:p

The cost to be competitive with szoke is more than most of us have to spend. I would like to see a production class, where ecu can be switched from a protest. All stock no suspension upgrades. So at least we have an even playing field. This is not moto gp we don't have unlimited budgets.

I can remember when having an aftermarket pipe on your 750 got you booted into the superbike class. Production truly meant showroom stock at one time.
I remember michel mercier winning a superbike RAIN race at shanny...on his 550 prod'n racer. A lot has changed in bike prep and costs.

I wonder if race organizations went to 600 production and 600 superbike if it would help. But then what would everyone do with their 1000 superbikes?

Last edited:

Start a new chapter. Buy a dirtbike and race with Offroad Ontario. It feeds the competitive needs and is much cheaper to participate. Also extremely challenging especially if you're new to offroad and are learning a whole new skill set.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Start a new chapter. Buy a dirtbike and race with Offroad Ontario. It feeds the competitive needs and is much cheaper to participate. Also extremely challenging especially if you're new to offroad and are learning a whole new skill set.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

+1

Part of my plans for this year.

I’ve thought about this too. I’ve only ever ridden dirt a handful of times but I’d like to do it more.

I’d like to continue the race track instructing. It’s unclear as of now if I’ll come back to road racing (I hope so but who knows?)... but a dirty bike sure would be easier on my wallet.

As a more than casually interested spectator, national roadracing in Canada = yawn.
Not enough competitors (see some of the videos from the 80s and 90s), BIG gaps in the program, and predictable results.
For my money, go to a flat track race, sit in the stands with a dirt dog and a beverage, watch some fun, close, AFFORDABLE racing.

As a more than casually interested spectator, national roadracing in Canada = yawn.
Not enough competitors (see some of the videos from the 80s and 90s), BIG gaps in the program, and predictable results.
For my money, go to a flat track race, sit in the stands with a dirt dog and a beverage, watch some fun, close, AFFORDABLE racing.

There is significant down time during motoGP weekends as well. They only run 3 races!

But I understand your points.

Road racing and flat track are very different animals. I think it’s just the nature of the sport and I really don’t know what can be done to improve it. Last year at Mosport I was still recovering from a concussion so I was a spectator, between races I would move to a different spot to watch.

Back
Top Bottom