PSA to the boys out there... | GTAMotorcycle.com

PSA to the boys out there...

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Thought it's time to share as a PSA to all the guys on the forum...

From date of me originally feeling discomfort, to the surgery table took a very quick 5-6 weeks and I couldn't be happier with the treatment that I've received at PMH. My doctor sent me to the ultrasound clinic, and called me on a Sunday night that she booked me an emergency meeting with an oncologist...The doctors, nurses, oncologists, employer and everyone throughout the entire process has been nothing short of spectacular and I thank my lucky stars to be able to live in this country with a great health care system that we all love to ***** and complain about.

It's been 2.5 years since I had my diagnosis of a lump on one of my nuts...and originally everyone thought it was nothing more than a tumour....no big deal. No one thought anything of it, and I couldn't believe that I had to go under the knife...didn't feel real, and didn't really sink in until the moment the lights came on above me in the OR...then I passed out and woke up with a pain like I've never had before....it was cancer. Some weird and rare type that the oncologist 'could never have seen before' as it was a 1 in 300,000 chance or something like that. They wouldn't let me keep the removed nut, or even see it for that matter, but hey it's all good.

The surgery, recovery and everything else was painful at first, but overall it was a good (as good as can be) experience, which has helped me grow as an individual, and actually gave me a kick in the *** to start working out again, and appreciate the little things a bit more.

Our biggest worry was whether we'd be able to have a baby...and everyone assured us that it'd be fine, and not to worry about anything. And they were right. We have a beautiful baby boy, and are extremely happy with him and count him as a blessing.

The doctor asked that I bring him in to the hospital next visit to show people that it's not the end of the world. As he sees many guys my age, younger, and older who come in devastated, depressed, and hopeless that they're life is over...it's not. Life moves on...nothing's changed...I can corner to the right a bit better because I'm slightly heavier on that side, but outside of that it's been a challenging experience. I still don't feel different, or don't even feel I need to use (or want to) the term 'cancer survivor'.

I urge you to keep an eye out on your health, young, old, middle aged doesn't matter. If something doesn't feel right, don't just discount it as I did...felt off...didn't think anything of it. Pain would come and go, and my wife is the one that made me go to the doctor as she was more concerned. It wouldn't have made a difference in early/late detection, as it would've had to come out regardless.

So the PSA is simple...check your nuts, keep an eye on your health, and make sure that if you feel off...don't put it off. Go check it out, as it could be something more serious that we'd like to admit, know, or acknowledge.

Sorry for the long, disjointed post, but wanted to share and hopefully if someone else is going through this, feel free to PM me, as I've been there, and so far it's been 2 years of good results with a chance of recurrence going from 20% to less than 2% at this stage.

A worthy PSA. Check your parts boys, you're (hopefully) washing them daily, give them a good check whilst doing so.

Edit: OP glad you got yourself well - any 'work' down there is uncomfortable but you gotta look after #1.

Last edited:
Glad things worked out for you OP. Always worth checking things out. Pain is nature's way to get your attention. ...or you're getting old.

Thanks for sharing Polak. We forget to listen to our bodies sometime. If you don't feel right, costs you nothing to get checked out.

**** cancer.

Cancer free since 2015.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Good luck OP. Also...PSA for PSA...if you're near 50 you know what that means...book your appointment with the vinyl gloved medico and ask for extra lube.

I thought that this was going to be about getting a PSA test done, but thanks.

Cancer is a group of diseases and the word "CANCER" can scare the crap out of people when they get it. Not all cancers are death sentences and the list of ones that are fully curable is growing. Treatments are becoming less invasive with fewer side effects.

Thanks for the good news.

Thank you for sharing and your words say alot and should be a awakening to be checked regularly.

Glad it worked out for you sir.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Good PSA. Best wishes on your recovery.

Thought it's time to share as a PSA to all the guys on the forum...

From date of me originally feeling discomfort, to the surgery table took a very quick 5-6 weeks and I couldn't be happier with the treatment that I've received at PMH. My doctor sent me to the ultrasound clinic, and called me on a Sunday night that she booked me an emergency meeting with an oncologist...The doctors, nurses, oncologists, employer and everyone throughout the entire process has been nothing short of spectacular and I thank my lucky stars to be able to live in this country with a great health care system that we all love to ***** and complain about.

It's been 2.5 years since I had my diagnosis of a lump on one of my nuts...and originally everyone thought it was nothing more than a tumour....no big deal. No one thought anything of it, and I couldn't believe that I had to go under the knife...didn't feel real, and didn't really sink in until the moment the lights came on above me in the OR...then I passed out and woke up with a pain like I've never had before....it was cancer. Some weird and rare type that the oncologist 'could never have seen before' as it was a 1 in 300,000 chance or something like that. They wouldn't let me keep the removed nut, or even see it for that matter, but hey it's all good.

The surgery, recovery and everything else was painful at first, but overall it was a good (as good as can be) experience, which has helped me grow as an individual, and actually gave me a kick in the *** to start working out again, and appreciate the little things a bit more.

Our biggest worry was whether we'd be able to have a baby...and everyone assured us that it'd be fine, and not to worry about anything. And they were right. We have a beautiful baby boy, and are extremely happy with him and count him as a blessing.

The doctor asked that I bring him in to the hospital next visit to show people that it's not the end of the world. As he sees many guys my age, younger, and older who come in devastated, depressed, and hopeless that they're life is over...it's not. Life moves on...nothing's changed...I can corner to the right a bit better because I'm slightly heavier on that side, but outside of that it's been a challenging experience. I still don't feel different, or don't even feel I need to use (or want to) the term 'cancer survivor'.

I urge you to keep an eye out on your health, young, old, middle aged doesn't matter. If something doesn't feel right, don't just discount it as I did...felt off...didn't think anything of it. Pain would come and go, and my wife is the one that made me go to the doctor as she was more concerned. It wouldn't have made a difference in early/late detection, as it would've had to come out regardless.

So the PSA is simple...check your nuts, keep an eye on your health, and make sure that if you feel off...don't put it off. Go check it out, as it could be something more serious that we'd like to admit, know, or acknowledge.

Sorry for the long, disjointed post, but wanted to share and hopefully if someone else is going through this, feel free to PM me, as I've been there, and so far it's been 2 years of good results with a chance of recurrence going from 20% to less than 2% at this stage.

Good post and best wishes

Thanks for the reminder. Best wishes for your recovery.

Thanks for the post brother. Glad you're doing well now.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

and I thank my lucky stars to be able to live in this country with a great health care system that we all love to ***** and complain about.

No truer words were spoken....

2 years ago, the fine folks at Hamilton General Hospital literally saved me from the brink of death.

To come in a stretcher unconcious, fighting for my life and in a coma, and to walk out of the hospital 5 weeks later with no long term effects is truly a miracle of the amazing staff there. (and all the other first responders and my wife)

And not a dime came out of my pocket for all this great care.

Keep that in your head the next time you feel Canada isn't a great place to live!

Last edited:

2 years ago, the fine folks at Hamilton General Hospital literally saved me from the brink of death.

To come in a stretcher unconcious, fighting for my life and in a coma, and to walk out of the hospital 5 weeks later with no long term effects is truly a miracle of the amazing staff there.

Keep that in your head the next time you feel Canada isn't a great place to live!

While I agree with your post, to be clear many dimes came out of your "pocket". I (and many others) personally have invested far more into this system than I have used. If the day comes that I do need to receive significant health care I will be glad it is there.

But surely I am stating the obvious. At least it will add one to my post count!

To come in a stretcher unconcious, fighting for my life and in a coma, and to walk out of the hospital 5 weeks later with no long term effects is truly a miracle of the amazing staff there. (and all the other first responders and my wife)

Wynne is hard at work eroding that system...don't worry, she is on the job.
Same former TDSB Trustee, former Minister of Education, and now Premiere that cancelled funding for autistic KIDS then reversed it when the media shed light on it.
Of ALL the people that SHOULD know better re kids and funding...it should be her.

Ever notice that with OHIP we keep LOOSING benefits every few years instead of GAINING....hmmm

Wynne is hard at work eroding that system...don't worry, she is on the job.
Same former TDSB Trustee, former Minister of Education, and now Premiere that cancelled funding for autistic KIDS then reversed it when the media shed light on it.
Of ALL the people that SHOULD know better re kids and funding...it should be her.

Ever notice that with OHIP we keep LOOSING benefits every few years instead of GAINING....hmmm

C'mon - everyone knows that autism ends at 5 years old ...

Back
Top Bottom