Insurance went up. Question about switching | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance went up. Question about switching

slowbird

So just got my renewal in the mail and it went up by $40/month. It's over $5k/year now.
Nothing new on my end.

-34 years old.
-1 minor speeding ticket in Nov 2015
Full M for almost 10 years
Car, tenant insurance and bike all insured with Dalton Timmis.
Been with them for 5 years.

I got in a bike accident last year but it was the other drivers fault.

My question is, since I'm still doing physiotherapy due to the accident and it's being covered by my insurance, does that mean I'm stuck with them till my treatments are done?

good question thats wayyy to high for you, unless your on a hayabusa....or you filed a claim

Hmmm I don't know why I have been paying so much to be honest. Slowly slowly things started to increase and I guess it accumulated over time and I only realized now it's way too much.
It went up a bit when I split with my ex and moved from Shelburne to Downtown Toronto.
Went up again after I replaced the wrecked VFR750 with the VFR800.
Went up again when I moved from downtown Toronto to North York.

I have 2 claims. 1 at fault but I had the first accident forgive and forget option so my premiums never went up that year, or the year after.
The other accident was the bike one last May and that wasn't my fault.
Then I have the 15 over speeding ticket.

Tenant insurance for my rental,and full coverage on my 2000 VFR800 and my 2012 G37x

He said are "not stuck" with them

Oh nice. Thanks!

I don't know how I mis read that:confused:

I'm with Dalton Timmis/Novex...any suggestions where to call next?

I think I can get a discount through TD through my "union" but I haven't heard good things about TD

TD stock has taken a hit since the CBC story about their up selling practices. But don't know anything about their insurance an how good they are on payouts.

Thought you were outside the GTA, so the price is closer to expected for in town then.

TD stock has taken a hit since the CBC story about their up selling practices. But don't know anything about their insurance an how good they are on payouts.

Thought you were outside the GTA, so the price is closer to expected for in town then.

Yeah unfortunately I'm in the GTA.

Fwiw I pay about the same as you for: house
2 vehicles
My Shadow
Umbrella policy
3 life insurance plans
And I thought that I was paying a lot.

Sent from the Purple Zone

That seems a bit expensive. feel free to shoot me a PM and i can run some numbers for you tomorrow if you want.

I also pay about half what OP is paying. 38 years old. Zero tickets. That is for 2 motorcycles (liability), a car (full) and condo insurance. I live in Mississauga so even though probably a bit better than North York, it's still crappy location wise.
OP - don't wait and start calling around.
I'm with Aviva now, through Mitchell & Whale. Used to be with Allstate but their rates creeped up for next renewal so I cancelled.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I had a chance on Friday to speak with someone from Mitchell and Whale. They quoted me about $500/year less for the bike, but my car was over $2k more per year.

I may have to insure the bike separately.

I never heard back from my broker at Dalton Timmis. I find it is IMPOSSIBLE to hear back from her unless I tell the receptionist and she transfers me to someone else.

I'm working all this week from 6am-4:30pm and have no time at work to speak with any insurance people. It will all have to be done after 5pm ish...doesn't gibe me a whole lot of time.

That seems a bit expensive. feel free to shoot me a PM and i can run some numbers for you tomorrow if you want.

Will do. Thanks

Yeah that is often the case, bundles arent all theyre cracked up to be *Cough Allstate*

I had to take a day off when i was insurance hunting...most are only open office hours, and if you plan to shop around and speak to a dozen brokers/underwriters it will takes some time.

Yeah that is often the case, bundles arent all theyre cracked up to be *Cough Allstate*

I had to take a day off when i was insurance hunting...most are only open office hours, and if you plan to shop around and speak to a dozen brokers/underwriters it will takes some time.

Good Idea, yeah I may have to take a lieu day

Glad you got your answer, my first claim, (3 years ago in Jun), is still ongoing and I switched to a different company last year), although they have denied ALL treatment plans since Dec 2016, because as lawyer said they know it is getting closer to "settlement time" and they KNOW they are going to be paying out a substantial amount, so in their minds it doesn't make a good business case to continue to pay for treatment.

My second claim, almost 10 months old now, is still ongoing treatments, but I stayed with that company, when renewal came in Feb.

So yes you definitely CAN move companies and still continue with treatments.

Glad you got your answer, my first claim, (3 years ago in Jun), is still ongoing and I switched to a different company last year), although they have denied ALL treatment plans since Dec 2016, because as lawyer said they know it is getting closer to "settlement time" and they KNOW they are going to be paying out a substantial amount, so in their minds it doesn't make a good business case to continue to pay for treatment.

My second claim, almost 10 months old now, is still ongoing treatments, but I stayed with that company, when renewal came in Feb.

So yes you definitely CAN move companies and still continue with treatments.

Thanks Hedo.

I was unfortunately unable to get any lawyer to take my case. Injuries too minor even though my ankle still isn't better. But I have all my limbs and I don't walk with a limp so I'm SOL.

Back
Top Bottom