What's for dinner? | Page 15 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

The pulled pork has been amazing. Best one yet for me. If I can get a good picture of a sandwich I'll post it up.

Here's another meal I had so I don't OD on pulled pork. The local grocer in-house fresh chorizo sausage. I had to get it and try. Toasted bun, mustard, sweet relish and diced spanish onion.

Very spicy. Very good! :)
attachment.php

Last edited:
Got a great price on fresh atlantic salmon. Oven baked (a first for me here) with a bit of quality chinese soya sauce (not china lily) and some boutique extra virgin olive oil. Toasted a fresh sesame seed bun, added cream cheese and romaine lettuce. Crazy good. Love this and don't have it near enough. Some fresh avocado as well. would have been epic (fond memories).

attachment.php

Store bought PC mild Italian sausages on sale last week. Doubled up on my purchase so we have some for later.
Boiled first, then sliced and placed in a baking pan with potatoes, mushrooms, onions, 50% off produce (got that tip from here iirc), evoo and salt & pepper. Oven for 60 mins @425 covered. Stir, another 30 mins covered, stir again, then another 15 mins uncovered to crisp up the veggies. This has become a weekly staple. With enough for leftovers (I make 2 trays). Used to add minced garlic (yummy!), but my wife can no longer stomach it. I add a little Frank's Slammin' Sriracha.
ffbcf27cee8d19d600bb8f271f969dad.jpg

Sent from the Purple Zone

Looks very tasty Joe Bass!

Found fresh PC turkeys on sale (never frozen, butter basted). Big sale, something like 2/3s off. Got one for $13. :) LOL. I'm finishing my holiday shopping this afternoon. Fresh buns, sourdough bread, frozen pies, etc. Ah, the holidays. ;)

I have a personal tradition of cooking a top shelf ribeye during the holidays. Picked this up from my favourite butcher. Custom selected and cut angus beef ribeye. Looks crazy good. Vacuum packed for freshness. Tons of marbling, 1.5 inches thick. No messing around, lol. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Christmas eve appetizers at my parents' place:

Baked sweet potato slices topped with a cashew spread and smoked salmon
def796d119c7fa347f212ee65c53e6ac.jpg

Polenta discs with an olive paste spread and a tomato wedge
01397db6b23e2765233098a53d503039.jpg

Both made by mom and sister. (My sisters are the appetizer queens!)
First time I tried these. They were delish!

Last edited:
I have a personal tradition of cooking a top shelf ribeye during the holidays. Picked this up from my favourite butcher. Custom selected and cut angus beef ribeye. Looks crazy good. Vacuum packed for freshness. Tons of marbling, 1.5 inches thick. No messing around, lol. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've been kicking around an attempt at sous vide cooking and wonder if those packaged steaks would work in a hot water bath to get them to 70C. Then blast them with a torch or deep fry for a minute to brown. I have access to some pretty serious electronic controls for the bath.

Thoughts?

@nobbie48 is there any danger of the BPAs from the plastic leaching into the food with that cooking method?

It seems to me that one could easily sous vide cook anything vacuum packed. By all means try and report back. Though the best steak restaurants are the grill type.

As for current reg's about BPA and food, I have no idea, try reading up, but imo it's not much of an issue to try.... as that steak is far more unhealthy than a single cook in BPA plastic. :) ;)

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Last edited:
Holiday turkey! That fresh (never frozen) butter basted 14 pound turkey for $13 mentioned earlier. :D

So awesome. Extra crispy skin cook and crazy tender meat. Enjoy! That's a 12 inch plate somewhere under there. ;)
attachment.php

I was negligent in posting a pulled pork sandwich picture, as mentioned earlier. Frankly, I waited too long to take a good picture, but here's one. It's a sandwich 3-4 days after the cook. Enjoy. I still have some of it frozen and ready for when I want a tasty meal.
attachment.php

Last edited:
I've been kicking around an attempt at sous vide cooking and wonder if those packaged steaks would work in a hot water bath to get them to 70C. Then blast them with a torch or deep fry for a minute to brown. I have access to some pretty serious electronic controls for the bath.

Thoughts?

steak + fire = awesome
steak + hotwater = eewww

steak + fire = awesome
steak + hotwater = eewww
+1^^^ My grandma used to pan fry steak. Sacrilege.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

steak + fire = awesome
steak + hotwater = eewww

You miss the point. In sous vide fire is only applied where it is needed. Conventional grilling is like painting a car without using masking tape. If you're skilled enough you can still see through most of the windows.

If you like steak well done conventional heat is fine.

+1^^^ My grandma used to pan fry steak. Sacrilege.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

A master chef prepared a steak for me in a frying pan. What he did would probably freak out your grandma to the point of hysterics. It was delicious.

BTW last night the Mrs. came home to hand prepared mushroom risotto.

A point to be made: I enjoy steak but if one looks at the effort required to prepare a meal the steak cooker gets off light compared to the soup cooker or risotto maker.

A home made soup or other similar dish requires far more work but the cook gets little respect for that effort.

Back
Top Bottom