Most capable motorcycles in the (reasonable insurance rates) category? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Most capable motorcycles in the (reasonable insurance rates) category?

I find it hard to believe some on that list. The standards sure but a BMW S1000RR HP4? Like come on.

That's what I thought....although it was 20 years ago I last rode regularly when I came back this year and called for various insurance quotes....it seemed to me that CC's still dictated $$'s. With a lot of high CC bikes on that list I'm not sure that "reasonable" would go hand in hand with insurance on any of them.

Keep in mind the rarer the bike, sometimes the cheaper it will be. Last I spoke with insurance, they were saying how they really don't care how many bikes vs accidents are on the road, they just count the accidents. So if there are 5000 Ninja 250s on the road and only 4 BMW HP4s, then chances are MUCH higher that there will be more Ninja 250R accidents and claims in a given year.

Again, this doesn't dictate the overall price, but could be why a BMW HP4 might be less to insure than a standard S1000RR, or the CBR1000RR SP over the CBR1000RR, etc.

Also, if any new rider reads this and decides to run out and buy a HP4 or 899 with zero experience...please leave yourself enough money for a GoPro and upload the crash footage to YouTube when it happens (likely in the first 0-100 days lol)

That's what I thought....although it was 20 years ago I last rode regularly when I came back this year and called for various insurance quotes....it seemed to me that CC's still dictated $$'s. With a lot of high CC bikes on that list I'm not sure that "reasonable" would go hand in hand with insurance on any of them.

Yeah exactly. Basically this is how the insurance quote would go.

"Hi I would like to get insurance on my new BMW S1000RR HP4" ... Agent: "Phew! I was worried there for a second until you said HP4, you were smart to buy the racier version of the S1000 to save money on insurance, good job" champ"

Last edited:
Yeah exactly. Basically this is how the insurance quote would go.

"Hi I would like to get insurance on my new BMW S1000RR HP4" ... Agent: "Phew! I was worried there for a second until you said HP4, you were smart to buy the racier version of the S1000 to save money on insurance, good job" champ"
Lol! Like most even have a clue what a motorcycle looks like. ?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Fz6r is plenty of power. You can pass anything you want. I've had multiple range of cc bikes. All are completely worthy. If you can't pass people or ride a track on a 300 then you have no right to discount a 300 for it capabilities as they are still better than yours.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Fz6r is plenty of power. You can pass anything you want. I've had multiple range of cc bikes. All are completely worthy. If you can't pass people or ride a track on a 300 then you have no right to discount a 300 for it capabilities as they are still better than yours.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Not sure what you are getting at here. A 300 can pass cars this has already been established. An FZ6r are overweight undertuned pigs imo.

I love the 07-09 FZ6 tho, full 98hp, adjustable suspension, nice twin undertail cans and comfortable. They should have improved on this platform rather then replace it with a lesser bike.

All my opinion of course.

Keep in mind the rarer the bike, sometimes the cheaper it will be. Last I spoke with insurance, they were saying how they really don't care how many bikes vs accidents are on the road, they just count the accidents. So if there are 5000 Ninja 250s on the road and only 4 BMW HP4s, then chances are MUCH higher that there will be more Ninja 250R accidents and claims in a given year.

Again, this doesn't dictate the overall price, but could be why a BMW HP4 might be less to insure than a standard S1000RR, or the CBR1000RR SP over the CBR1000RR, etc.

Also, if any new rider reads this and decides to run out and buy a HP4 or 899 with zero experience...please leave yourself enough money for a GoPro and upload the crash footage to YouTube when it happens (likely in the first 0-100 days lol)

I thought the HP4 is uncrashable..... Dang now I have to stick to my Derbi gp80.....

i'm probably biased; but an SV650 is better than a CBR, and most older 600cc sportbikes around town, anyway.

Peak torque of 47 ft-lbs is available at 7k rpm... an 07 R6 has just under 42 ft-lbs at 10k rpm :\

Another secret is that the rear sprockets on naked SV's are +1 compared to the S models ;)

and my insurance is $650 this year

i'm probably biased; but an SV650 is better than a CBR, and most older 600cc sportbikes around town, anyway.

Peak torque of 47 ft-lbs is available at 7k rpm... an 07 R6 has just under 42 ft-lbs at 10k rpm :\

Another secret is that the rear sprockets on naked SV's are +1 compared to the S models ;)

and my insurance is $650 this year

The SV was on my list of bikes I was considering. It's a great budget bike. But how can you say its "better" then a CBR600? If you prefer V-twins fine but I'm not sure what your reasoning is when you say "better"... Better at what?

The SV was on my list of bikes I was considering. It's a great budget bike. But how can you say its "better" then a CBR600? If you prefer V-twins fine but I'm not sure what your reasoning is when you say "better"... Better at what?

Noob, maybe if you actually ride different bikes on street you will see there is more than specs on paper?
You're not banging redline on street are you?
Try Ducati monster then jump back onto your F4i, see if you notice the difference.

He said "better" around town, like on the street. Sport bikes were designed for the track. The sv has a better powerband for street use. Pretty much any 600ss is a dog below 8000rpm.
I'm betting I could walk away from you on your f4i on my 650 versys, even though it only has 65ish hp.
You're reading too much into the spec sheets.

He said "better" around town, like on the street. Sport bikes were designed for the track. The sv has a better powerband for street use. Pretty much any 600ss is a dog below 8000rpm.
I'm betting I could walk away from you on your f4i on my 650 versys, even though it only has 65ish hp.
You're reading too much into the spec sheets.

Hey I'm not the one who said my bike was better then anything. Truth be told I don't have enough time on the street for it to make a difference. I'm just happy to be on 2 wheels.

Last edited:
This thread:

giphy_1.gif

SOOOO OP??? You still haven't got a quote on the 600 yet? You constantly refer that you don't have much street seat time, with the bike. How do you have any street seat time given you haven't got insurance on it yet? If you get nailed for riding without insurance, your initial question of "reasonable insurance" will be a moot point.

SOOOO OP??? You still haven't got a quote on the 600 yet? You constantly refer that you don't have much street seat time, with the bike. How do you have any street seat time given you haven't got insurance on it yet? If you get nailed for riding without insurance, your initial question of "reasonable insurance" will be a moot point.

I got my quote a couple days ago.

110/month. I'll have to get my M1 again in the spring and then do my M2 right after. No licence tests in November soo that kinda sucks but ill be riding next season on a 600 :)

Last edited:
I got my quote a couple days ago.

110/month. I'll have to get my M1 again in the spring and then do my M2 right after. No licence tests in November soo that kinda sucks but ill be riding next season on a 600 :)

Sounds good thanks for the update. Look at the service ontario website for the first possible test dates and book it ASAP they fill up VERY quickly, you can go in a few weeks before to write the M1 test.

Sounds good thanks for the update. Look at the service ontario website for the first possible test dates and book it ASAP they fill up VERY quickly, you can go in a few weeks before to write the M1 test.

Thanks for the tip. Hoping everything goes smoothly with the licence. Gonna use the 300 to do the test tho ha-ha.

Noob, maybe if you actually ride different bikes on street you will see there is more than specs on paper?
You're not banging redline on street are you?
Try Ducati monster then jump back onto your F4i, see if you notice the difference.

What's with the hostility? Calling me a Noob, I ride a 600 SS bud :)... Joking obviously.

I like anything with an engine so you don't have to talk down to my bike just because you have something different. I could have ended up with any of these bikes.

So relax. I'm not here to argue about it.

Thanks for the tip. Hoping everything goes smoothly with the licence. Gonna use the 300 to do the test tho ha-ha.

Keep an eye on when they open up the booking, or call and ask now. Iirc you can't book anything until feb/ march, if you're talking about the mto

What's with the hostility? Calling me a Noob, I ride a 600 SS bud :)... Joking obviously.

Bud-ette. I think what SHE means is noob to the forum.

Back
Top Bottom