Running.. ugghh | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Running.. ugghh

I hate running too, but I had to do it to get in shape. Can't do 10k runs yet. I'm doing more like 2.5k runs. Long as I need to do though to meet my current goals.

Is there a technique to improving endurance, other than just keeping at it? I seemed to make some really good progress at first, then hit a wall. Unlike weight lifting, where as long as I've kept at it, I've steadily improved. The only thing holding back my weight lifting is my paycheck - I've increased my appetite to the point where I run out of money feeding myself. Damn small income.

I found that once you get up to about 5km, its a lot easier to just keep going. Try bumping up to about 3km, two days in a row then a day off, then repeat, try that for maybe a week then take a day off then try a 5km.

When i got to 8km, i did 5km two days in a row, a day off then 8km, then a day off.

:confused:

Hey Caboose, have you ever thought of running IN your leathers?? I bet you would cut the weight faster than a prize fighter... just leave the back protector out and try to cram it all in there. :)

I HATE RUNNING!!!!! MY GIRLFRIEND HAS RUN THE TORONTO, VANCOUVER, CHICAGO, AND BOSTON MARATHON. WHEN "WE" GO FOR A RUN IM ON MY BICYCLE AND SHES RUNNING...LOL

DAMN A SHORT RUN FOR HER IS 15K. F*** THAT...LOL SHE DOES HER LONGER RUN ON SUNDAYS........... 28K-35K. I TELL HER IM TOO BUSY WATCHING THE MOTO GP OR SUPERBIKE OR AMA...LOL DAMN THATS 3 HOURS ILL NEVER GET BACK :confused1:....LOL

not a big fan of just running either, I find it a little boring... I do play ultimate frisbee 2-3 times a week and it's one hell of a cardio work out, same with tennis and to a lesser extent, volleyball. I love bicycling around the city too.

Not a fan of running myself. I like my 2 nights a week of volleyball for some cardio. Just finished up 3 nights a week of beach volleyball which was a lot of cardio running in the sand. I get shinsplints from running so just don't do it. Rather do some plyometrics for working on my jumping (I can block and have my elbows over the volleyball net at men's height).

Good on ya for losing the weight though man.

I found that once you get up to about 5km, its a lot easier to just keep going. Try bumping up to about 3km, two days in a row then a day off, then repeat, try that for maybe a week then take a day off then try a 5km.

I'll just have to push myself harder I guess. I don't enjoy it, so its hard to motivate myself when my heart is thumping away! My iPod broke, so that doesn't help me either.

U
U haven't hit a wall on your weight lifting? :confused:
How long have u been doing it?
Are u pushing yourself?

Only been weight lifting about 5 months steadily. So I'm still a beginner I suppose! I've been pushing myself, but within reason. Trying to get a steady routine down that allows me to see better gains. Right now I'll have some weeks where I have time to work out as much as I want, and other weeks where I can only hit my weights once.

lol.. **** that noise!

Remember when martin lawrence was out trying to lose weight running in a bunch of sweatsuits in 90 degree heat and ended up pointing a gun at cops? hahahhhha

I live out in the country so all my running is "scenic". haha. I never got treadmills, i tried it once and almost fell when i got off the thing. That was the end of that idea.

well, next few idea...

1. join a running club
2. sign up for a race (half mary, 10k, or whatever it is), set up a expected time to finish and train for it.
3. get a sexy female trainer to run with you (aka pace booty).
2598635095_0bbf482df2_m.jpg

If the roads are clear i can still run outdoors in the winter. Sometimes it sucks! ahaha.
did you watch the clip I posted? In the blue days during winter, watching it is enough to get me out of the door! :p

I hate running too, but I had to do it to get in shape. Can't do 10k runs yet. I'm doing more like 2.5k runs. Long as I need to do though to meet my current goals.

Is there a technique to improving endurance, other than just keeping at it? I seemed to make some really good progress at first, then hit a wall. Unlike weight lifting, where as long as I've kept at it, I've steadily improved. The only thing holding back my weight lifting is my paycheck - I've increased my appetite to the point where I run out of money feeding myself. Damn small income.

not sure if you already doing it...

1. run more days ( 5 days a week, 1 long run)
2. run more miles (increase mileage by 10% each week)
3. do speed work or intervals.

I did it. It improves slowly.

If you fatties cant get ti going in the spring i fully expect a nice gear sale!!!!

barring that, is it worth it? I HATE the IDEA of running, but need cardio. sigh...

How did you start the hated event, and what do you do to keep yourself going? Cause i gotta tell you...the thought....

A friend once said "the only thing more boring than running, is TALKING about running".

Yes, running can get to become very boring, but I think you really have to zone into it. Once you focus on your pace and breathing, everything else comes naturally and before you know it, you've completed 5k.... Okay, some of that's total bs, but seriously, I think it's something you can get used to if you have a goal or focus in mind i.e. training, dieting, fitness etc.,

There are lots of benefits from running i.e. weight loss, lower blood pressure, etc., too many health benefits to list...

I've been running for years. I do it because I like it. It's a great way to clear your mind, do some thinking or just get in tune with your body. I tried running with music, but it doesn't work for me.

A lot of people that start running have trouble with pacing. Remember it is not a race, yet some treat each run as one. Set some goals and gradually work towards them, it will not happen instantly. There is no shame in walking if you are too tired to run. Catch your breath and resume running when you are good to go again.

Running is pretty high impact. Bones/joints/ligaments need time to get used to the stresses of running (this is amplified if one is overweight). Muscles adapt much faster than bones and connective tissue.

Treadmills, they are pretty boring, but are a good way to run at a specific pace if you have trouble keeping the pace on your own.

Interval training, I would not recommend this for beginners. The risk of injury during interval training is much higher than during 'jogging' as it is usually done at a significantly higher intensity level.

Listen to your body. Rest is an essential part of any successful fitness program. People like to talk about the monster kms they put on, etc. Let them. Remember you can only run/train as much as your body can absorb. Don't over do it and have fun.

For tracking your progress I highly recommend Nike Plus. A friend gave it to me for my birthday and now I don't run without it. I have a sensor that goes on my shoe and a wristband with the display.

I can see my pace, time, distance, etc. Then after your run you plug the usb thingy from the wristband into your computer and it uploads it all to nikeplus.com. You can see your run, where your peaks and valleys are, and track your progress.

Very motivating and not that expensive!

Crap.

I thought this was another running from the cops thread.

Running sucks. Get sneakers that fit your type of foot, an ipod, and try to do one more song each time.

well, next few idea...

1. join a running club
2. sign up for a race (half mary, 10k, or whatever it is), set up a expected time to finish and train for it.
3. get a sexy female trainer to run with you (aka pace booty).
2598635095_0bbf482df2_m.jpg

did you watch the clip I posted? In the blue days during winter, watching it is enough to get me out of the door! :p

not sure if you already doing it...

1. run more days ( 5 days a week, 1 long run)
2. run more miles (increase mileage by 10% each week)
3. do speed work or intervals.

I did it. It improves slowly.

I'm not sure if i want to be in a running club, this thread is the first time i've ever talked about running...

But that pace booty idea, i think you may be on to something ;)

If any acceptable pace booty wants to go for a run in scenic escarpment country send me a PM.. ahahhah

Crap.

I thought this was another running from the cops thread.

Running sucks. Get sneakers that fit your type of foot, an ipod, and try to do one more song each time.

+1

The biggest thing to do properly is get a good pair of shoes that fit properly.

I've had good luck with New Balance and got some help with what shape foot i have. I know i run on the outsides of my feet which is not that common i guess.

When i played football i always had to get my ankles taped because i tend to roll over on them easier than other people.

I like that idea of a pace booty!!

Diggin up an old thread.

Had my longest run today. Previous longest was 13km (don't know the time) and today i managed 16km in roughly 1h42m. The things i do just to fit into my leathers.. ugghhhhh....

all this running could save your life one day :) (see:reduced risk of heart disease. damn heart disease).

but yeah, i hate HATE H A T E running, but do so for 2 main reasons. Motorcyles and Rugby. I need to fit in that damn jacket every spring and rugby is a whole lot more fun when you can run the whole game and smack people.

i've recently gotten a decent road bike (bicycle) and find that on the days i absolutely can't fathom running, hopping on the bike for 20-40 km usually does the trick instead.

I'm also on the "fit into my leathers" running program. :(

I purposefully bought leathers that were too small just to motivate me. They're sitting on a chair in my living room so I see them ALL the time. If I even think of snacking...I take a look at the leathers.

They need to fit by the time I go to the Gap at the end of May.

Oh and I signed up for a 10K too. Tim it's in Kitchener if you wanted to do it too. $28 to sign up.

Back
Top Bottom