Running.. ugghh | Page 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Running.. ugghh

+1 on this... I never really ran any type of distances besides a few 5 ks and I hate it... I do enjoy the HIIT though, i dont even need 15 mins, I do 8 mins at super high/low intensity and it kicks my butt, plus the results are phenomenal. i see these people plugging away on the treadmill for an hour and i think what a waste!

People have different goals, 8 mins of hiit will do nothing to achieve mine. Keep an open mind...

MEC Burlington Race 2 is comming up this Saturday. 5k/10k/21.1k for $15, $20 on race day. The race is in confederation park in hamilton. I ran the half at that venue with them last fall. The course is FAST if it is not windy. You run mostly along the lake on the path which is pancake flat (I can only remember one hill, and by hill I mean 3m elevation gain over 50meters) and you have distance markings on the pavement every 400m. I'm in no way affiliated with MEC, I just like their small, cheap, chip timed races. I'll be doing the 10k, see you there.

thanks for posting this. won't be able to make this particular event, but will watch this thread for other 5k runs.

Every year we do the nightrace.ca 5k, but sadly won't be able to attend this year, so will have to find another race to do this year.

+1 on this... I never really ran any type of distances besides a few 5 ks and I hate it... I do enjoy the HIIT though, i dont even need 15 mins, I do 8 mins at super high/low intensity and it kicks my butt, plus the results are phenomenal. i see these people plugging away on the treadmill for an hour and i think what a waste!

Do you go 2:1 or 3:1? I've been doing 50/50 but am probably overdoing it

For those in the east end, MEC Toronto is having a race next weekend at Taylor Creek Park (http://events.mec.ca/node/15371). I Don't know the venue, nor have I done any races with the MEC Toronto crew, but if you are looking for inexpensive race this could be it. $15, $20 on race day. 5/10/15k.

http://www.runguides.com/toronto/runs seems to list all the MEC Toronto races.

Did the 5K with MEC Toronto at Tailor Creek Park today. This was the first time I've done a MEC Toronto Race. Very well organized as the MEC Burlington races I've done in the past. Love these races. The only issue would be that since the course was an out and back (2.5k out and 2.5k back) and there were three races going on at once (5/10/15 doing 1/2/3 loops of the course) the path did get a bit crowded, but nothing too bad. Plenty of water stations and chip timing. I hope MEC continues to put these on.

I use strava.com. You can search routes there too (they call them segments) and they keep a "leader board" for the segments. I like the way you can search the routes on strava, just pull up a map and zoom into the area to see routes people overlaid on the map. I also like strava to keep a training log on.

Thanks for this site, it's always fun to get new ideas where to run. It seems like there's a new one of these run route sites every month.

I ran the 30k Around the Bay on March 30th. Haven't run since - been too busy with work or the house. I went for my first run yesterday - lasted all of about 15 minutes! It's amazing what 2 months can take away... Time to get back into it.

^^ I feel your pain.

When I was vacationing in Florida in January, I had nothing better to do during the day and ran every day. up to 8k

Now my current 5km time is 6minutes longer than it was in January. :(

Came across another series of affordable races http://sunsetseries.ca/. Wednesday evenings in Hamilton, 5/10k for $15. Might try one of them this summer.

Did the first race of this series... very nice. It runs along the recreation/waterfront trail starting at Princess Point in Hamilton. 5k is out and back, 10k you do the 5k course twice (course is pancake flat and fast). Well organized with draw prizes, bananas, water/sport drink and timing provided. Run by the running den hamilton store. This race had about 40 participants and had some pretty decent competition (5k winner was around 16min, 10k winner around 36min). It was also nice that this an evening race as the temp was very comfortable compare to daytime temps.

Moosh,

Cheap, local and good, I know its a ways off, but wanted to put it on your radar, 4th annual "Strides for the General" Run on Bayfront 5/10k, Sept 24.

Only $20-25 for the 5K, free food, shirt and entertainment.

http://hamiltonhealth.ca/strides/

See you there.

Thanks Sunny. Will keep that race in mind. Bayfront park is a nice venue.

Suppose to run today but this heat...UUUGHH #stifling I dunno how ppl do it

or why, best is cycling.....you can feel the air moving over and around you, there's nothing like an eddy at your armpits and bonus no crushed knees

Suppose to run today but this heat...UUUGHH #stifling I dunno how ppl do it

Slow down (sounds simple and it is). Every one slows down in the heat. Take walking breaks if you need to and keep hydrated. Consider not scheduling hard/fast runs on hot days if possible and consider running during cooler parts of the day if your schedule allows. Breaking up longer runs into multiple shorter runs or skipping a run on a hot day can be an option too, one day/run does not make or break a program, consistency does.

Back
Top Bottom