I Saw You: V.2.0 | Page 460 | GTAMotorcycle.com

I Saw You: V.2.0

I saw myself too. And a red CBR on a U-haul trailer stopped in front of my office to tighten the straps, but that doesn't really count.

I saw myself too! And to the rider on the black sportsbike eastbound who flipped me the ? as you passed me on the Bloor viaduct - you are awesome!

Sent from my HTC U11 using GTAM mobile app

At 4c in the dark & rain, that'd be in the "dedicated" category. ;)

I guess I'm really dedicated? Although my bike does have headlights so I can see at night and my gear is waterproof so I don't get wet and I have heated gear to keep me warm. Doesn't' really seem like a big deal.

I have ridden my bike pretty much every day since March, a lot of it commuting since I would rather ride than drive. This morning, yesterday, every other day this week. On Weds Nov 1st I left work in Vaughn at about 7:30pm. Rode out to Brampton to see one client and when I was done there I rode a few km's north to another client's place and saw them briefly then rode home to Port Perry. Got home a bit before 11pm.

Oh yea.. -1°c when I left home this morning. No bugs!

..Tom

I guess I'm really dedicated? .. -1°c when I left home this morning. No bugs!

..Tom

With my non-electric gear (only heated grips) I can ride comfortably for about 2 hours at highway speeds down to about 5°C, so while bugs don't bother me that much and are easy to clean off, what do you do with ice crystals (black ice) lying in wait? My car warns me of black ice at 4°C which spooks me, but physics says water doesn't freeze until 0°C and then only on bridges...so my 5°C limit for me seems to be a nice cutoff point. Now if only I could find that damn paralytic draw that causes me to need a new battery every year!!!

Black ice didn’t just magically appear without the right meteorological conditions. At 4c in the rain assuming it was a sunny day beforehand I wouldn’t consider it a huge risk - the ground and the rain temps are high enough to stop it from freezing. Even at 2c in a moderate rain it wouldn’t be an issue as the ground will still be warmer, again, assuming a sunny daytime temp above 6-8 degrees.

It’s when it’s been a cold cloudy day (so the asphalt is already cold soaked) coupled with a light misty rain after dark, at the 1-3c range or below that it starts to become an issue.

Black ice, like other forms of slippery surfaces, is just another variable you need to be aware of and prepare for when riding.

-you are most likely to experience black ice when it has been below freezing all night and them warms up a few degrees above freezing. The temperature rise allows the air to hold more moisture which can freeze on contact with the colder road

-The top of my hot tub had a layer of ice on it the other day. Even though the water below was 104 degrees F and the air temperature was about 4 degrees F above freezing. I figure the evaporative cooling effect caused the water to freeze.

-generally the roads are less slippery when it is quite a bit below freezing. Ice in that case is usually more obvious. You do have to be careful of Lake effect snow. Especially on a day which is very cold (say -10c) but sunny. The road surface can be warm enough to melt snow which freezing shortly after melting. I try and avoid riding in conditions where lake effect snow is likely but have gotten caught. I do now have some Anlas Winter tires on my bike to hopefully help out I I get caught.

..Tom

Saw a guy on a Red 250 at Finch and Oakdale heading west this morning at around 730am. was like 2*C, thats friggin cold dude...

Black ice, like other forms of slippery surfaces, is just another variable you need to be aware of and prepare for when riding.

-you are most likely to experience black ice when it has been below freezing all night and them warms up a few degrees above freezing. The temperature rise allows the air to hold more moisture which can freeze on contact with the colder road

-The top of my hot tub had a layer of ice on it the other day. Even though the water below was 104 degrees F and the air temperature was about 4 degrees F above freezing. I figure the evaporative cooling effect caused the water to freeze.

-generally the roads are less slippery when it is quite a bit below freezing. Ice in that case is usually more obvious. You do have to be careful of Lake effect snow. Especially on a day which is very cold (say -10c) but sunny. The road surface can be warm enough to melt snow which freezing shortly after melting. I try and avoid riding in conditions where lake effect snow is likely but have gotten caught. I do now have some Anlas Winter tires on my bike to hopefully help out I I get caught.

..Tom
I try to ride year round. The heated visor really helps with keeping my face warm, I had issues before with my visor freezing from the condensation of my breath. I also have heated gloves and grips, looking for other pieces now.

-9(feels like -18) has been the coldest day I have ridden so far.

I have been using TKC80'S which are mud and snow rated and I have not had issues with grip riding cautiously in the GTA. Let me know what you think about the Anlas winter tires.

e1de7e6b5d3756138a76cb4003efb469.jpg

These will extend my riding season.

On the topic of the thread:

8 of us went (most of us met through this forum) and we saw a lot of people at the Ganaraska Forest parking lots these past couple of weeks, you do not get cold when you have a work out like dirt biking.

Last edited:
I saw a green zx6r/zx10r on Lakeshore rd in Burlington between Burloak and Appleby around 11:30 Friday night. Guy was popping wheelies wheelies wheelies. Heard him dropping the clutch for the next 5 minutes while heading west on Lakeshore HAHA!

Pretty sure the same dude (green bike) popped one in front of my place, lol. Lakeshore and Mississauga Rd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

white Dayton 675 on DVP last night around 7:30pm in the one piece. Does wearing a one piece retain the heat better?

Saw a ZRX in today's frosty weather. They are still as cool as I think they are

a few today

3 dbags at shoppers world tim's around 8pm revving for no reason
1 nice sounding cruiser at kennedy / courtneypark around 10pm

From the GO Train I saw a black and white V-Strom heading south on the Bayview Extension -- kudos to you for still riding! That red Porsche tailgating you made me nervous though and hope he eventually backed off.

Re: I Saw You, Are you on this forum? V.2.0.

Saturday night around midnight riding through Waterdown on what I think was a cruiser with blue led accents.
Glad to see I’m not the only one risking a few finger tips to get a ride in.

Shout out to all the peeps riding on Don Mills today, was working on the bike and there was a steady stream.

yesterday east bound on Bayly in Pickering around 2 or 2:30, bunch of Vespa's and Lambretta's, looked vintage. Very nice!

yesterday east bound on Bayly in Pickering around 2 or 2:30, bunch of Vespa's and Lambretta's, looked vintage. Very nice!

They would be Barking Mad (I think). ;)

To the group that just left Kyoto plaza at Weston and rutherford just now. You all ride like ******* morons. Good luck out there

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom