Canadian knife laws | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canadian knife laws

I have a 43" leaf-shaped broadsword made out of high carbon spring steel and a razor sharp edge.

I am very reluctant to take this out of the house for obvious reasons.

It's just authority figure flexing his dirty muscles. That's all there is to it, a border guard scumbag who thinks he is god, just like most cops these days.

I have a 43" leaf-shaped broadsword made out of high carbon spring steel and a razor sharp edge.

I am very reluctant to take this out of the house for obvious reasons.

Strap it to your back and ride"the dragon" dude. When cops stop you, just tell 'em, I'm here to slay "the dragon" :rolleyes:

The only thing you'd need to worry about is being charged with possessing weapons dangerous to the public peace. Just tell them it's a survival or hunting knife (tool) and not a weapon for self defense. You never known when you'll break down in the middle of no where or have the opportunity to field dress some fresh road-kill.

The only thing you'd need to worry about is being charged with possessing weapons dangerous to the public peace. Just tell them it's a survival or hunting knife (tool) and not a weapon for self defense. You never known when you'll break down in the middle of no where or have the opportunity to field dress some fresh road-kill.

The bums lying on the sidewalks are NOT fresh roadkill.

Having passed my love of knives to my boys - Machettes, Bucks, folding, lock blades etc...

I have spoken to a cop about my constant companion (3" lock blade) I always keep in my pocket.

He suggested to indicate it is a tool I use for work.

Never for self defence - problem solved.

Makes me think... I could use another knife.

Last edited:
Kinda unrelated, but where do you guys take your knives for sharpening?
(Don't wanna do it myself)

Its not hard to do. Princess auto sell honing stones of different grit. 3 different stones plus a pouch for $10

I mostly do my own sharpening, bought a stone with two different grits in Japan for around $15. When I abuse a knife, say or axe and don't sharpen it for awhile I take it to the Uxbridge farmers market on Sunday and there is a guy there who does it on the spot.

Kinda unrelated, but where do you guys take your knives for sharpening?
(Don't wanna do it myself)

Don't you have one of those old guys driving around your neighborhood in a converted ice-cream truck ringing a bell? That's the knife sharpening guy!!!

But screw that, do it yourself... it's like paying someone to brush your teeth...

I believe the difference between a straight razor is that you have to hold it open.
As well with "flick" knives you still have to use your thumb to provide the initial push.

It is completely a technicality. I love butterfly knives and I wanted one to practise tricks with. I would never bring it outside or use it for anything but it got stopped at the border and confiscated. I didn't bother trying to argue it was for collection purposes.

Flick knives are openly simply by flicking the wrist. If you loosen off the screw enough on any folding knive, you can turn it into a lick knife and render it a prohibited device.

Butterly knives are definitely illegal, they can be opened simply by gravity...I'm not aware of any exemption for collectors.

For anyone whose interested, I have a ruling from the RCMP stating that assisted opening knives are within the law and perfectly okay to carry. There was a lot of debate when they first came out about their legality (a comparison was drawn to the common switch blade knives)....but these are in fact ok.

Don't you have one of those old guys driving around your neighborhood in a converted ice-cream truck ringing a bell? That's the knife sharpening guy!!!

But screw that, do it yourself... it's like paying someone to brush your teeth...
I know this thread is way old and I'm not quite sure how I got here (apparently Googling knife legalities in Ontario puts this near the top of the results) but I tried to get this guy to sharpen some knives for me last week. Heard him coming, tried to call to him from my balcony, no dice. I grab all my stuff I need sharpening (2 kitchen knives, 1 Mora camping knife, 1 hatchet), throw on some flip flops, and head out the door. Soon as I get out there he's leaving already (took me about 1 minute to get out). So now I'm chasing him down in flip flops carrying all these sharp(ish) objects. He got away. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm crazy now.

^^well chasing down the street in flip flops waving knives and hatchets around - what should they think?

I was after the sharpening guy!

You can have them. A cop would ask you for a valid reason as to why you have it in your possession at that point in time. If you say "for self defense" you've now told the officer you intend to use it as a weapon. Say goodbye to your knife :)

Back
Top Bottom