Aprilia RS 125 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Aprilia RS 125

N

NR750concept

Just noticed a few places advertising the aprilia rs 125 for sale in Canada. Some posts say its street legal others say its race only. Anyone know for sure? I havent been able to get in touch with an aprilia dealer to find out. If it is street legal im surprised there hasn't been more hype about it. I mean look at how the CBR 125 and ninja 250 have sold out. I would figure if it was brought into canada by aprilia they would be pumping out the marketing scheme. Any one else have info on it?

To my understanding, this came stock to Canada as track only but can be made street legal. There's a chick with this bike on GTAM or at least i've seen the bike at a couple meets.

It's expensive for a "125", it's got no low end, it's not really beginner friendly, it's high maitenance and buzzingly loud (two stroke), and does not have as big a support network.

BUT... it is a wonderful bike on the track... if you can get over the on/off behaviour. *Looks at bike* "Silly monkey bike... I shall conquer you in 2 days. Yes... conquer you, I shall." :D

Last edited:
I was talking to a guy riding one last night, he said that for some reason it's street legal in Ontario but not Quebec. It's got similar power to a Ninja 250 but weighs almost 70lbs less :) and looks fantastic. The owner was really enjoying riding it, he'd only had it for a day or two.

BTW, 09 Ninja 250's are pretty easy to get, they're far from sold out this year.

It's expensive for a "125", it's got no low end, it's not really beginner friendly, it's high maitenance and buzzingly loud (two stroke), and does not have as big a support network.

BUT... it is a wonderful bike on the track... if you can get over the on/off behaviour. *Looks at bike* "Silly monkey bike... I shall conquer you in 2 days. Yes... conquer you, I shall." :D

Hey x86, why is it not beginner friendly?

this bike is powerful and no where near the cbr125 or the 250 its a 2 stroke 30hp track machine. i am pretty sure that this bike cant be made street legal in canada, it doesnt meet emission laws in any province.

this bike is powerful and no where near the cbr125 or the 250 its a 2 stroke 30hp track machine. i am pretty sure that this bike cant be made street legal in canada, it doesnt meet emission laws in any province.

they are street legal in ontario. im 100% sure about this.
They were imported as track only because they didn't come with the signals/ rear fender/ mirrors etc (read:track only), but they can be purchased seperately.

OP- If its your first bike, you would be better off with with the kawi 250.
The RS125 is as everyone said, a track bike first. Everything on it is designed for racing in mind. If you're experienced, than i would say go for it, but like any european bike, be prepared for the quirkiness that is associated with owning anything European

Just noticed a few places advertising the aprilia rs 125 for sale in Canada. Some posts say its street legal others say its race only. Anyone know for sure? I havent been able to get in touch with an aprilia dealer to find out. If it is street legal im surprised there hasn't been more hype about it. I mean look at how the CBR 125 and ninja 250 have sold out. I would figure if it was brought into canada by aprilia they would be pumping out the marketing scheme. Any one else have info on it?
I talked to one dealer before, you need to make some modification to make it street legal

I think the laws on that have changed so now AFIK you can't make them street-legal. You could buy one that was made street legal before they came into effect.

Hey x86, why is it not beginner friendly?

The bike has no power in the lower rpms and really bogs... so it's not like you can be ginger when you're taking off or dealing with any stop and go traffic. This is also a problem when turning a corner b/c you HAVE to downshift in order to get any power out of it... it'll sputter if you try to give it gas at anything less than 4000 rpm. Basically: you constantly have to wring it's little neck; of course, that's what makes it so much fun.

Plus... as I mentioned, it's got this "on/off" behaviour. You are either full on gas, or full off gas... anything in between and the bike starts popping and pulsing. I was told it's b/c of the factory carb settings being set too rich, and that it could be tuned out... but on the bikes we rode, it was a noticeable behaviour.

Oh... and it is not comparable to the 250. The 125 is a LOT faster on the high end, and a fair bit slower on the low end. It's power characteristics are somewhat parabolic, while the 250 is more linear. It's this characteristic that's not beginner friendly.

Last edited:
I spoke to the guys at Envy rides about the RS125, they said they have a kit that you can purchase with the bike, they install it and voila a street legal (atleast in Ontario) 125 2-stroke. I though the maintenance would be horrendous on it, but for the most part it looks to be just regular stuff, plus changing the piston rings fairly often, not all that expensive and maybe 1h of maintenance to do everything. Tempting... I recently got to ride the CRB125 @ Deal Gap (1 week test ride), that bike was wicked fun on such a tight road, but would be useless on just about any road around here or even on our race tracks. The RS125 with it's added performance may be just nice. :D

I know an 11 y/o (yes - 11) that does track almost every weekend on a Honda RS125. They for sure are not street freindly and are fussy bikes - you have to keep the revs high as it will bog at low RPMs and the power is a peaky on /off - not a good first bike. Oh yeah - unreliable for Aprilia models. Know of one in the shop at Motoroetta Eurosport - they can't figure out why it won't run and it's a BRAND NEW BIKE.

BTW - the 11 y/o just flies - races against Duc 1098s - eats them in the corners (the kid is a real knee dragger) and is ALMOST par on the straights...the Ducs pull away a bit more. I guess being 75 lbs helps! This kid is going places...I'll be with him at Calabogie this weekend - following him.:p

This is what i'm talking about, some people say yes it's legal with a street kit, some say no it's not legal in Canada cause its a two stroke. I did see one on the road go by me and it def had headlights, turn signals etc...I am an experienced rider and have riden an rz and nsr before. I was more wondering if this bike is legal or not? And if is legal with said road kit, why not just offer it as a road bike? Also why no hype about it?

Thanks for the info/comments

This is what i'm talking about, some people say yes it's legal with a street kit, some say no it's not legal in Canada cause its a two stroke. I did see one on the road go by me and it def had headlights, turn signals etc...I am an experienced rider and have riden an rz and nsr before. I was more wondering if this bike is legal or not? And if is legal with said road kit, why not just offer it as a road bike? Also why no hype about it?

Thanks for the info/comments

Here's some more info for you:

Two stroke engine motorcycles are illegal for manufacturers to sell in North America because of emissions issues. There is a loop hole however, in that a one off can be brought into the country by a private owner for use off road. There is a further loop hole in that a one off can be made road legal with certain modifications.

That is how the Aprilia RS125 can be ridden on the road in Canada. Aprilia themselves cannot sell the bikes here, but people can bring them in privately and convert them, then sell them. (Hence Envy, Kahuna, etc...)

*Note* - I'm just the messenger... this is what I was told at a dealership.

Ahh, see that totaly clears things up. So people can buy the race bike from an aprilia dealership, the responsibitly to convert it falls on the owner. Therefore aprilia doesn't sell a street legal road bike. That makes sense on how i've seen them on the road. So I take it the bike must have a vin and then must be checked over by a licenced shop who in turn gives a statement/printout that you bring to the ministry to make it road legal? I guess this is kinda like converting an enduro/dirtbike to a road going bike?

Ahh, see that totaly clears things up. So people can buy the race bike from an aprilia dealership, the responsibitly to convert it falls on the owner. Therefore aprilia doesn't sell a street legal road bike. That makes sense on how i've seen them on the road. So I take it the bike must have a vin and then must be checked over by a licenced shop who in turn gives a statement/printout that you bring to the ministry to make it road legal? I guess this is kinda like converting an enduro/dirtbike to a road going bike?

I don't think this conversion is allowed anymore. People were buying the Chinese dirtbikes and converting them so I think Transport Canada got ticked off.
If the dealership won't go to the Ministry and get the ownership for you then forget about this bike.

The bike has no power in the lower rpms and really bogs... so it's not like you can be ginger when you're taking off or dealing with any stop and go traffic. This is also a problem when turning a corner b/c you HAVE to downshift in order to get any power out of it... it'll sputter if you try to give it gas at anything less than 4000 rpm. Basically: you constantly have to wring it's little neck; of course, that's what makes it so much fun.

Plus... as I mentioned, it's got this "on/off" behaviour. You are either full on gas, or full off gas... anything in between and the bike starts popping and pulsing. I was told it's b/c of the factory carb settings being set too rich, and that it could be tuned out... but on the bikes we rode, it was a noticeable behaviour.

Oh... and it is not comparable to the 250. The 125 is a LOT faster on the high end, and a fair bit slower on the low end. It's power characteristics are somewhat parabolic, while the 250 is more linear. It's this characteristic that's not beginner friendly.

Thanks!

I guess this is kinda like converting an enduro/dirtbike to a road going bike?

Sure, except as of.. I believe Sep of last year?? this process is no longer legal. If the bike is not street legal from factory, it can not be "converted" to such status.

Back
Top Bottom