Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....??? | Page 23 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....???

Anyone looking for a Graphic Artist with 26 years of experience?
Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign and Premiere are squarely in my wheelhouse.
Thanks for looking!

Looking for a software engineer
1e66adf0cdd9d484cf29f3a1eca47a1d.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Senior Business Analyst here with 7 years of experience. Laid off from Manulife since May. Still cant find work in my field. Started deck refinishing work on side since last week and still did not get paid (Cash).

I need help to get back to my field or wont be able to insure bike next season.

If anybody is looking for decent work right now, National steel car is hosting a job fair tomorrow from 9am-2pm. 600 Kenilworth Ave. N., Hamilton
sXqmVpe.jpg

Last edited:
Peak Powersports Indian Motorcycle and Polaris dealership in oakville. We are looking for Assistant Service Manager and also Licenced Tech.

My company is looking for someone who wants to start a career as Tool and Die Maker, amazing opportunity here.

ZWqG6yQ.jpg

Can you expand why?... Thanks

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

Most people don't like cyclical work. I've been there for 7 and a half years, and the industry rides waves. We get super busy for a while, then it slows down and we experience layoffs, then back to busy etc. I haven't been laid off in the last 4 years personally. It can also be an intimidating environment. Dirty, loud, and if you're too complacent, dangerous. All of this goes along with most any industrial setting though. We have had very high safety standards for years and haven't had any catastrophic injury in a very long time.

Now there are pros to go along with those cons. Union, now this can be a pro and a con. It means decent wages, but it also means those wages are set in stone as laid out in the contract, and they don't move just because some dumbass decides to make a political move that doubles the cost of bread. As a lead hand welder I make $30/h which equates to 62.5k gross excluding variables like overtime or missed time etc. We have very good benefits through Blue Cross, including full dental per previous year fee schedule(so basically BC covers whatever the price was last year and you co-pay the increase), optical(some $ limits apply), full drug etc.

A benefit is that it's a 106 year old company. It can change hands once in a while, but it isn't going anywhere. We've been here since the Titanic sank, and a division of our company built planes for the British during WWII and went on to become Avro Canada, you may have heard of it. The current owner of the company is very patriotic, thus we fly one of the largest flags in the country, which can be seen from kilometers away(it may be the largest one that actually flies). He also built a cenotaph to honor the workers from National Steel Car who went off to fight for our country. We have a remembrance day service every year where should it fall on a weekday, all work ceases and over a thousand people have been seen to gather in the courtyard at the cenotaph for the ceremony, complete with military personnel and a flyover. This is something that has made me extremely proud to work there.

Yes there are drawbacks, but if jobs didn't sometimes suck, they'd be called hobbies and nobody would pay you to do them.

Oh, I forgot to mention... We have dedicated motorcycle parking at the very front of the lot ;).

Last edited:
Can you expand why?... Thanks

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

I was in the engineering dept so my POV is from the office.

I found it to be an unpleasant work environment and an adversarial relationship between office and production staff. My role was to get people who don’t want to work together to work together. Didn’t take me long to get tired of that and ready to move on.

I was in the engineering dept so my POV is from the office.

I found it to be an unpleasant work environment and an adversarial relationship between office and production staff. My role was to get people who don’t want to work together to work together. Didn’t take me long to get tired of that and ready to move on.

You're an engineer? Ouch, guess they should have told you before you spent all that time and money on the education. The people that draw the things, will never get along with the people that make them lol.

You're an engineer? Ouch, guess they should have told you before you spent all that time and money on the education. The people that draw the things, will never get along with the people that make them lol.

A lot of the people who draw things have never built things.

You’ll probably still see some of the tooling I designed.

I have had a friend also tell me that the office is a ****** place to work. He transferred from QA to marketing, and ended up transferring back. I think there could be more cooperation between engineering and fabrication, but most that I have encountered believe that their education is the gospel, and if they haven't thought of it(or more accurately referenced it), then it couldn't possibly work. The fact is that while an engineer may be thinking of some very important mathematical equations, and or theorems, they tend to lack the ability to think outside of the book, or a certain redneck ingenuity that comes to most honest to goodness fabricators. A suggestion box, taken seriously, would benefit all greatly.

My company is looking for someone who wants to start a career as Tool and Die Maker, amazing opportunity here.

ZWqG6yQ.jpg

Wish it wasn't so far away. I'm so freakin tired of my current job, I'd love to have an entry level opportunity at something completely new like this.

But I have a pension (and a retirement in another 20 years or so) to keep in mind.... Trapped. :/

I have had a friend also tell me that the office is a ****** place to work. He transferred from QA to marketing, and ended up transferring back. I think there could be more cooperation between engineering and fabrication, but most that I have encountered believe that their education is the gospel, and if they haven't thought of it(or more accurately referenced it), then it couldn't possibly work. The fact is that while an engineer may be thinking of some very important mathematical equations, and or theorems, they tend to lack the ability to think outside of the book, or a certain redneck ingenuity that comes to most honest to goodness fabricators. A suggestion box, taken seriously, would benefit all greatly.

That can be said of most design departments anywhere. The hands on experience or simple mechanical aptitude is lacking.

Were you working there when they built the ballistic steel iron ore cars?

Wish it wasn't so far away. I'm so freakin tired of my current job, I'd love to have an entry level opportunity at something completely new like this.

But I have a pension (and a retirement in another 20 years or so) to keep in mind.... Trapped. :/

Something to think about; once you get your papers you can work anywhere. T&D is in massive demand atm.

Lookup Kaizen, bring it to your management team.

Back
Top Bottom