Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....??? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....???

And also about the GM guys. My dad was at a bar with a few GM workers lately, and they were complaining about loosing their pensions, and wondering how they were going to survive. My dad just looked at them and said: "You know how your going to survive?....THE SAME ****IN' WAY I DO!!!"

they aren't losing their pensions.

Yetti - Have you looked into going after them for wrongful dismissal?

Unless you gave them a reason, union or not they still can't pull that ****.

they don't need a reason. they can fire anyone one they choose as long as they provide severance. 1 week per year min, but you can get more. Also, they have to give you lieu of notice pay which another 8 weeks. Plus your vacation pay.

Just got outsourced as of yesterday. 10+ years. Software development at Rogers. A majority of IT outsorced to IBM who then sent my job to Argentina. As I was cancelling my gym membership at the work gym an IBM guy was signing up. It hasn't fully sunk in.

Just got outsourced as of yesterday. 10+ years. Software development at Rogers. A majority of IT outsorced to IBM who then sent my job to Argentina. As I was cancelling my gym membership at the work gym an IBM guy was signing up. It hasn't fully sunk in.

Good luck out there! It should be easier for someone with your qualifications, then for us manufacturing guys. :)

Good luck out there! It should be easier for someone with your qualifications, then for us manufacturing guys. :)

Holy christ - don't be so sure with the way everyone is outsourcing IT to India.

Edit - sorry BlueThunder - didn't mean to be insensitive - just trying to let pislguy know of the IT situation.

Last edited:
I too am unfortunately part of this club, since March (problems started in November). I'm trying to enjoy the summer while I can but if anyone hears of any employment opportunities re. Mechanical Engineering Technician/Technologist, Project Estimator/Co-ordinator, Mechanical/Machine Designer, please let me know. TIA. :)

I just found this post,( please notice my site name ), anytime I post in reference to my work, the post gets bombarded with anti union rhetoric, so I just bow out gracefully. Good to see when the economy goes for s$#t people start to see some benefit of unionization. I am the first to admit we are a necessary evil, not always good, but if we weren't there our standard of living in this country would be a far cry from what we do have. My sector is down to about 50% right now due to the recession and the tragic decline in new home sales. If you have skills and, ABSOLUTELY THE MOST IMPORTANT, a good work ethic (waking up in the morning before 10 and putting in a days work), there are positions. If you really want to work, you will work. There is no handout or magic solution.

Hey guys,
I been looking for work for some time now, I have recently finished a accounting and payroll course at college and am looking for something in a related field. I can do Accounts payable, Accounts Receivable, Bookkeeping, Payroll, Office Administration, etc.
I would really appreciate any help anyone could give me... please pm me if you know of any opportunities.

Not laid off but currently massively underemployed. I'm self-employed and my client's biggest client shut down operations due to the economic situation. Scrambling with all my old contacts to get things going again.

Self-employed = no EI. No EI = stress.

they don't need a reason. they can fire anyone one they choose as long as they provide severance. 1 week per year min, but you can get more. Also, they have to give you lieu of notice pay which another 8 weeks. Plus your vacation pay.

You are assuming his occupation is covered under the employment standards act. If it is in anyway affiliated with construction there are pages of ways for the employer to duck out scott free. And even if it is not construction, people are using the loosely applied sub-contract laws to dodge paying anything.

Why am I typing here, work is done for the day. I rode to Mosport tonight and checked out the team machinery for the double bill Nationals this weekend.

Good to see when the economy goes for s$#t people start to see some benefit of unionization. I am the first to admit we are a necessary evil, not always good, but if we weren't there our standard of living in this country would be a far cry from what we do have..

I must ask what the benefit is?
With modern work standards are unions required? 80% of the population is non unionized, so things like this garbage strike just piss 80% of the population off.

I must ask what the benefit is?
With modern work standards are unions required? 80% of the population is non unionized, so things like this garbage strike just piss 80% of the population off.

with all due respect - can we try to keep this thread on track? any pro-union / anti-union crap - start your own thread

Holy christ - don't be so sure with the way everyone is outsourcing IT to India.

Edit - sorry BlueThunder - didn't mean to be insensitive - just trying to let pislguy know of the IT situation.

Hehehe very true… I used to work for IBM and was one of the fortunate 600+ that got the boot at the end of April due to out sourcing to India, Brazil, China, and the list goes on… I used to be in mainframe, so if anyone is in a mainframe shop and looking for a hard working individual, I’m your man.

The economy will eventually turn around. It has in the past and will in the future. Cheer up and ride your bike when you're down. I find watching out for cagers trying to kill you occupies the mind, and all your troubles seem to flow away, at least for a short while.

We all need to batten down the hatches and lay low until this blows over.

I think toybm started a good thing here. I've messaged the admin(s) recommending a new section relating to this. If anyone else wishes to send a quick note to a moderator...by all means. An area where folks can post job opportunities which may or may not be public at the time of post, or for those who are looking.

well now, Yetti was debating starting a thread like this...

Yetti is in the same situation

15 freaking years in hydraulics, and whammo. I was first one out.

next closest in senority was 7 years... hows that for crap.

non-union, they kicked out the guy who made the $$$ and kept the other 14 guys ( if you put them all together they still couldnt produce a sentence in English )

yeah, Im Still Bitter. Been out since March

If I knew this sooner, I could have contracted you to fit the hydraulics on the back of my Dad's Kubota tractor (for a backhoe attachment) :(

Back
Top Bottom