Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....??? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....???

toybm

Site Supporter
I have recently joined the GTAM community and have spent a lot of time online checking out what people think about motorcycling, life and many other things in general and even have meet quite a few members in the process. Unfortunately every week someone mentions (not as a topic but in a post) that they have been laid-off or out of work(me included) and with the current economic climate I find it disheartening since there will be even more and the prospects of getting work now is harder.

Since I'm always thinking about my current situation, which happens to be that of many others, I'm sure GTAM members who may know of existing vacancies, if aware, may give the occasional heads-up to these vacancies where they work, a simple post maybe saying hey I work at .... and we are looking for a ..... or I know .... is looking for a ....., this could be a window to the hidden job market. I can surely say every little bit helps.

Sounds like a good idea.

Best of luck in your job hunt, and I hope you find a job that you enjoy soon :)

I guess I'm one of those people too. Been laid-off for almost 2 months now, and am finding it hard to wake up and do the same crap everyday with little to no good leads.

I think it would be a great idea to make a "jobs" forum.

On a somewhat related note, i've been surprised by the amount of help i've received on this board, and from people that i've never even met, which is surprising, with the way I act on here.

Send me a PM with your email info so I can send you a referal to or company database.

I quit my job 2 weeks ago...and I'm laughing! HAHAHA, best decision ever.

well now, Yetti was debating starting a thread like this...

Yetti is in the same situation

15 freaking years in hydraulics, and whammo. I was first one out.

next closest in senority was 7 years... hows that for crap.

non-union, they kicked out the guy who made the $$$ and kept the other 14 guys ( if you put them all together they still couldnt produce a sentence in English )

yeah, Im Still Bitter. Been out since March

You probably trained your replacement.
A buddy of mine is an electronics engineer. Late 40's.
He just got stuck training the guy who will have his job in a few months. If he refused and quit, they assured him he would have no walking package at all. So he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He is super-bitter about it, but the fact remains that it is a wise choice by the employer.....the new guy will work harder, and longer hours, , knows all the latest stuff, and will do it for way less money, cuz he is young , single, eager, and doesn't have stuff at home (wife,kids, obligations etc) pulling his heart strings at home, and he hasn't put in the time for seniority and thus doesn't get paid larger sums.

Yetti - Have you looked into going after them for wrongful dismissal?

Unless you gave them a reason, union or not they still can't pull that ****.

Believe me. I've looked at it from every possible angle.

they gave me a 13 week temporary layoff, with no recall to work date.

just before the 13 weeks ended, I went in to ask what was going on, and they hit me with another 22 weeks.

theres Sweet FA you can do about it.

generally, after 35 weeks of unemployment, you are considered permanently laid off, and then due severence, or termination pay, and sometimes both.

the law states you get 1 weeks pay for every year worked, up until 8 years. The rest is the Company's discression, I worked 15 years, Legally they will owe me 8 weeks pay.
If I had been fired for no cause, they would have had to pay me 15 weeks.

this is what sucks, and is not fair to an employee. what they are hoping for, is that I find another job,, So that they can get out of paying me my severence.

meanwhile, the Owner drives around in his brand new $150,000 car.

legally, they have done nothing wrong.
Morally, I hope they rot in hell.

My dad was in the same situation in a company he worked for 15 years. He fought it through the union and won.

Even if you don't have a union you can still fight it. Maybe look up an employment lawyer?

Good thread. I work for an outdoor advertising company. A few weeks back they were looking to fill a position in the prepress department. No new face in there so I imagine they're still looking or are no longer looking to fill it. I can look into it if someone in that field is looking. I also get requests from clients (ad agencies) whether I know someone that can fill a role (print manager, media buyer, studio artist, etc). Anyone in the graphic communications industry looking for work? PM me.

I notice that there are a lot of questions re: wrongful termination / termination benefits; I work in HR and am fairly up to date with legislation, case law and benefits, if you have questions I can try my best to field them. PM is the easiest way to get in touch with me.

Good idea to start at thread helping out members needing work. Guess you have no idea what it's like out there until you need a job.

Anyone needing or looking for work in the automotive world this website has new listings everyday.

click on employment then job listings

http://www.tada.ca

Good luck to everyone

I guess I'm one of those people too. Been laid-off for almost 2 months now, and am finding it hard to wake up and do the same crap everyday with little to no good leads.

I think it would be a great idea to make a "jobs" forum.

On a somewhat related note, i've been surprised by the amount of help i've received on this board, and from people that i've never even met, which is surprising, with the way I act on here.
Yeah it gets even harder as the months stretch out, sometimes it feels like a waste of time.

Send me a PM with your email info so I can send you a referal to or company database.
Thanks Stricklye, good looking out. Done.

Good thread. I work for an outdoor advertising company. A few weeks back they were looking to fill a position in the prepress department. No new face in there so I imagine they're still looking or are no longer looking to fill it. I can look into it if someone in that field is looking. I also get requests from clients (ad agencies) whether I know someone that can fill a role (print manager, media buyer, studio artist, etc). Anyone in the graphic communications industry looking for work? PM me.
Thanks, eventhough I'm not in this industry someone out there may be and looking for work. This is exactly how I envisioned this to work, good going.

Maybe if this thread gets enough interest it could be made a sticky. It's an issue affecting everyone including GTAM memebers.

Construction/Trade jobs are always hiring. Just start calling contracting companies in the phone book and ask if they need help. Thats what I did when I was laid off. I like to start with drywall companies for they pay the most.

Believe me. I've looked at it from every possible angle.

they gave me a 13 week temporary layoff, with no recall to work date.

just before the 13 weeks ended, I went in to ask what was going on, and they hit me with another 22 weeks.

theres Sweet FA you can do about it.

generally, after 35 weeks of unemployment, you are considered permanently laid off, and then due severence, or termination pay, and sometimes both.

the law states you get 1 weeks pay for every year worked, up until 8 years. The rest is the Company's discression, I worked 15 years, Legally they will owe me 8 weeks pay.
If I had been fired for no cause, they would have had to pay me 15 weeks.

this is what sucks, and is not fair to an employee. what they are hoping for, is that I find another job,, So that they can get out of paying me my severence.

meanwhile, the Owner drives around in his brand new $150,000 car.

legally, they have done nothing wrong.
Morally, I hope they rot in hell.

You mean to tell me that when my EI runs out, I can go back to the company I'm laid-off from for severance pay? That's cool! They still owe me vacation pay as well. I was waiting until EI runs out to go collect that. According to your stated rules, they also owe me 5 weeks pay! I'm definitely looking into this!!

You mean to tell me that when my EI runs out, I can go back to the company I'm laid-off from for severance pay? That's cool! They still owe me vacation pay as well. I was waiting until EI runs out to go collect that. According to your stated rules, they also owe me 5 weeks pay! I'm definitely looking into this!!

Its law that they have to give you your severence pay and/or termination pay, after 7 days of giving you your final notice
when in a temporary layoiff situation.

in rare instances, they will ask you to come back to work, and make you work it instead.

use my situation as an example., after my current 22 weeks have expired, they'd call me back, and say " ok, in 8 weeks, we are letting you go, take this as your notice.. "

now i have 2 options. work, for 8 weeks, and then im out of a job
or quit, in which they'd owe me nothing, .

temporary layoffs are the ultimate in getting screwed over.

Another kick in the teeth, is that i have been steadily employed for the last 25 years, and have never been on unemployment

but Im only eligible for 1 years worth of benefits., which isnt even Half of what I used to make.

then you get these retards Civil workers who are striking at the moment.

If anyone is high up in that dept.

I will work for whatever they make., and never ask for a raise.. ever.

and dont even get me started on the GM guys..

Great thread... I will keep my ears open at my work.
Best of luck to those on the hunt!

If anyone has a background in camera operation or audio/visual staging, my company is always looking for freelancers. 2 yrs college or 5 years in the feild minimum...

PM or email your resume, if you email make sure you reference GTAM in the subject.

Its law that they have to give you your severence pay and/or termination pay, after 7 days of giving you your final notice
when in a temporary layoiff situation.

in rare instances, they will ask you to come back to work, and make you work it instead.

use my situation as an example., after my current 22 weeks have expired, they'd call me back, and say " ok, in 8 weeks, we are letting you go, take this as your notice.. "

now i have 2 options. work, for 8 weeks, and then im out of a job
or quit, in which they'd owe me nothing, .

temporary layoffs are the ultimate in getting screwed over.

Another kick in the teeth, is that i have been steadily employed for the last 25 years, and have never been on unemployment

but Im only eligible for 1 years worth of benefits., which isnt even Half of what I used to make.

then you get these retards Civil workers who are striking at the moment.

If anyone is high up in that dept.

I will work for whatever they make., and never ask for a raise.. ever.

and dont even get me started on the GM guys..

Well, I've been there for a little over 5 yrs. before getting laid-off. I can't see them asking me back, as there is over 20yrs. seniority on lay-off right now. I've just heard they are going to close the doors for a few weeks! There is a stipulation in our union that our seniority is held for 18mths. I don't know if that will come into play or not, something else I have to look into.

And I hear ya about trying to deal with EI, and all the goverment BS.

And also about the GM guys. My dad was at a bar with a few GM workers lately, and they were complaining about loosing their pensions, and wondering how they were going to survive. My dad just looked at them and said: "You know how your going to survive?....THE SAME ****IN' WAY I DO!!!"

Back
Top Bottom