Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....??? | Page 21 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....???

Laid off (plant closure) two years ago this Sept. 13th. Haha, it was a Friday to boot! Friday the 13th...

Sent out a few thousand resumés with very little response... Did manage to land a job Oct/2013, but the employer misrepresented the job description. So, I handed in my resignation after 2 weeks. Haven't worked since.

Sold my house (downsized), and now at 51, I am retired. I have an older dog that needs my care... so I have decided, while she is still with us, I won't bother looking for another job. However, after my 'glue stick' is gone, I may look into a Security Guard type job.

For now, I enjoy spending time with my JRT, and riding the Duc... Life is Good!

If you are terminated on the spot, your employer owes you one weeks pay for every year of service. Up to a maximum of eight weeks...Anything more is deemed employer generosity. That money is yours... regardless of when you secure another job. Severance is paid in lieu of notice. The employer must pay severance up front, and cannot take any back.

I don't think severance is paid if they did something illegal or wrong to get terminated. Termination without cause would require it. I assume on the spot termination is probably because he did something really wrong that he shouldn't have like being politically correct to a feminist.

We're looking for a bunch of people here. Well-known media/Internet company. Right now we're looking for the following:

Inside Sales Rep
Product Marketing Manager
Digital Media Coordinator
Web Analyst
Scrum Master

PM me with a resume or link to your LinkedIn profile, if interested.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/careers/career-advice/the-ins-and-outs-of-job-severance/article4098859/?service=mobile

From the above article...

'No double-dipping...

Employees who acquire another job before their severance period expires do not get to have it both ways. A court will deduct, dollar for dollar, any income earned through other employment during the severance period and credit that back to the terminating employer. This is why there are clauses in severance packages that require employees to notify their former employers when they find other work. Employees are usually uncomfortable with this requirement, but without it they would receive the windfall of both severance and another salary during the same period of time.'

I stand corrected!

Junior Mechanical Engineer / Engineering Technician / Project Coordinator

CAD work in Solidworks, maybe Mastercam, some purchasing, issuing drawings for the shop.

PM me for email address

im looking for work in Barrie area. if anyone has something that pops up let me know... i just want to move back there.
i ended up making the move back to barrie and living with my GF, so if anyone comes across any work within 30 min of barrie get in touch with me....currently commuting to brampton daily...and a v8 isnt cheap on gas.

if anyone has casual jobs in barrie area ide be interested in that too...im going to have 3 days off a week and wouldnt mind picking up 1 or 2 extra shifts a week.

i ended up making the move back to barrie and living with my GF, so if anyone comes across any work within 30 min of barrie get in touch with me....currently commuting to brampton daily...and a v8 isnt cheap on gas.

if anyone has casual jobs in barrie area ide be interested in that too...im going to have 3 days off a week and wouldnt mind picking up 1 or 2 extra shifts a week.

Damn that sucks - what kind of work?

I used to live in Barrie, so I get recruiter emails from there all the time - PM me your email and I'll forward them to you, if you're in the same/similar line of work.

That being said, I'm also looking for a job 'cuz my commute from Brampton to Markham is the balls. Mechanical Engineer, w/PMP, experience in CAD, drafting, metal fabrication, manufacturing and some automation, fluid mechanics, injection moulding and construction.

Last edited:
Looks like it's time for a 2016 update on here!

New grad looking for work - preferably in a customer facing environment, but I'm looking for pretty much whatever comes my way.

Degree in both music and sociology, work experience in pretty much every field you can imagine with a focus in customer service and people management.

I'm in the same boat. New grad, looking to start a career -- not necessarily in my field though.

Honours degree in Law and Society with a Minor in Philosophy. Have the grades to get into law school (assuming I did well on the LSAT), but don't think I'd find a passion in being a lawyer.

If anyone even has an intern position so I can get my foot in the door of something, I'd appreciate it.

Never hurts to check out the city job boards - there's always people retiring and a constant stream of positions being posted.
If you are interested, check out the Ongoing Opportunities and Current Opportunities below.

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=c3ae1f42c1744410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Although this might not be everyone's thing, when I was job hunting, I used to apply for jobs at GoodWork, because the positions posted there are very much in my field.
http://www.goodwork.ca/jobs.php?level=jobs&prov=ON

Good luck!

Never hurts to check out the city job boards - there's always people retiring and a constant stream of positions being posted.
If you are interested, check out the Ongoing Opportunities and Current Opportunities below.

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=c3ae1f42c1744410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Although this might not be everyone's thing, when I was job hunting, I used to apply for jobs at GoodWork, because the positions posted there are very much in my field.
http://www.goodwork.ca/jobs.php?level=jobs&prov=ON

Good luck!
THanks for the links, appreciate it.

I applied as a legal assistant for the city just yesterday, actually.

I'm not really that qualified according to their standards but it's worth a shot, I think and it sounds like it actually would be interesting.

We are looking to hire seasonal help which could turn into a full-time position if we find the right candidate. The store is located in Elmira, just north of Kitchener/Waterloo.

We are a wholesale and retail pond supply house, serving the pond and aquaculture industry for over 25 years. With customers in Canada and abroad, we assist municipalities with the maintenance of storm water management ponds, lake restoration, and waste water treatment issues. We are experts in supplying aeration in ponds ranging from the small backyard hobbyist pond to lakes in excess of 500 acres.
Starting pay is well above minimum wage and will depend on experience and knowledge.

Here is a brief job description:

In House Repair & Field Customer Service Position

The position has an emphasis on taking care of our customers with both lined and large earth ponds. Mainly, the position will involve looking after our customers in the store and in the field. We run several field services including pond maintenance, equipment installation and repairs. The position would be involved with these services as well as sizing up equipment and making product recommendations. The position would also involve our in-house repairs and manufacturing of air stones.

The position would also include doing many other jobs around the company such as shipping & receiving, warehouse management, visiting pond and wet lab customers for consultations and on-site repairs & installation, attending shows, customer service in the store and on the phone, and taking orders over the phone, email and fax. As we are a small company we all wear many hats and move between jobs as the seasons and demands change so the advantage is that one day is rarely the same as the next and they all have their own challenges.
The position would require you to work 8 to 5 Monday to Friday and possibly some nights until 7. As well as some Saturdays during the summer and year round shows.
Necessary Skills: Mechanically inclined, Experience with small motors, Able to do heavy lifting, Hands on attitude, Valid driver’s license

Position is seasonal with the possibility of the position becoming full time permanent for the right candidate.

If you are interested, have questions or would like to send a resume, please send me a pm.
Again, the immediate need is for a seasonal employee so if you are only available for the summer that could still work!

Last edited:
Hi, anybody knows if their company is looking for a intermediate-senior level mechanical engineer? I'm looking to transition back in the GTA, currently working near Kingston. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Hi, anybody knows if their company is looking for a intermediate-senior level mechanical engineer? I'm looking to transition back in the GTA, currently working near Kingston. Thanks.

What area of practice have you been working in? Are you open to changing areas?

What area of practice have you been working in? Are you open to changing areas?
Have total of 8 years of mechanical design and project engineering experience. First 4 years were in the building products manufacturing industry as a product engineer and manufacturing engineer. Currently working as a plant mechanical engineer for a global OEM automotive parts manufacturer since 2012.

Hey guys,

There's a couple of commission sales positions open at my firm if anyone is interested and looking for work in the Hamilton area.

email resume to hr@taurimo.com to apply :)

I quit my job about a month ago. So if anyone's company is looking for a senior Graphic Designer with 21 years experience, shoot me a PM please.

F&P Manufacturing in Tottenham is having a job fair this afternoon 3-7 pm. I know nothing about it, I just saw the sign. Call them

Back
Top Bottom