Unofficial GTAM Chat Operational | GTAMotorcycle.com

Unofficial GTAM Chat Operational

FiReSTaRT

Site Supporter
Ok, ye bums. I went through with it. Now we have an unofficial channel (chatroom for irc-illiterate) on Dalnet. - Translation: We can chat in real time. Here's how it's done:
For people who are/have been on the irc before:
-Download an irc client if you don't already have one
-Connect to any Dalnet server
-Register a nick
-Join #gtam

Here's a more detailed writeup for those who have no irc experience:
Summary:
-The IRC is basically a bunch of networks containing a bunch of servers that you connect to with a program (client). Chatrooms are referred to as channels.

Step1:
-Download a client. Windows and Mac users can go to http://www.kvirc.de/?id=releases&lang=en and download KvIRC for free. Most Linux distros come pre-packaged with one (Ubuntu comes with XChat).

Step2:
-Connect to the DalNet network of servers. Most IRC clients automatically open with a server list where you also enter your nickname and some other info before selecting a server and connecting. You can just enter the command "/server irc.dal.net" and you'll automatically get connected to a dalnet server.

Step3:
-Register your nickname. If you aren't receiving warnings that your nickname is already taken, just enter "/ns register password email" (without the quotation mark but include the /). Once you receive your email, just click on the link and you are registered.

Step4:
-Either use a bulky channel list or in any of the windows type "/join #gtam" press ENTER and voila. You are in.

I believe that there is also a web interface for this at www.dal.net, but irc clients are more stable and easier to use.
Another option is to use an irc client plugin for Firefox but I haven't tried it yet
And another is to use a multi-protocol client like Pidgin (it connects to MSN, Yahoo, AIM, Google, IRC and who knows what else) but I'm not a big fan of it

If you have any questions, post here and I'll be happy to answer.

The channel theme: Like a cross between Trash Talk and all of the other forums. Pretty much anything goes as long as there's no spamming.
If somebody gets REAL abusive or starts flooding/spamming, you can either shoot me a PM (on the IRC) or bug hewathe or ChuckUFarlie as they'll be helping me out.

Another note: The chatroom is intended to be a hangout for all of us. While it's mostly intended as an extension of the GTAM community, others are welcome to come in and talk bikes or whatever else comes to mind.

I also set up a games chatroom so people can play games like Uno and ACRO without killing the conversation on the main channel. For that, just join #gtamgames

Last edited:
Ok, ye bums. I went through with it. Now we have an unofficial channel (chatroom for irc-illiterate) on Dalnet. - Translation: We can chat in real time. Here's how it's done:
For people who are/have been on the irc before:
-Download an irc client if you don't already have one
-Connect to any Dalnet server
-Register a nick
-Join #gtam

Here's a more detailed writeup for those who have no irc experience:
Summary:
-The IRC is basically a bunch of networks containing a bunch of servers that you connect to with a program (client). Chatrooms are referred to as channels.

Step1:
-Download a client. Windows and Mac users can go to http://www.kvirc.de/?id=releases&lang=en and download KvIRC for free. Most Linux distros come pre-packaged with one (Ubuntu comes with XChat).

Step2:
-Connect to the DalNet network of servers. Most IRC clients automatically open with a server list where you also enter your nickname and some other info before selecting a server and connecting. You can just enter the command "/server irc.dal.net" and you'll automatically get connected to a dalnet server.

Step3:
-Register your nickname. If you aren't receiving warnings that your nickname is already taken, just enter "/ns register password email" (without the quotation mark but include the /). Once you receive your email, just click on the link and you are registered.

Step4:
-Either use a bulky channel list or in any of the windows type "/join #gtam" press ENTER and voila. You are in.

I believe that there is also a web interface for this at www.dal.net, but irc clients are more stable and easier to use.
Another option is to use an irc client plugin for Firefox but I haven't tried it yet
And another is to use a multi-protocol client like Pidgin (it connects to MSN, Yahoo, AIM, Google, IRC and who knows what else) but I'm not a big fan of it

If you have any questions, post here and I'll be happy to answer. By the way, it's not moderated for swearing but real abusive behaviour won't be tolerated.

Will this chat be as heavily moderated as this website?

I recommend mibbit.com for those of you who don't want to download anything and how are having trouble with DALnet's web based irc.

Not really.. Kick your shoes off, but no baseball bats please ;) Swearing is allowed and even encouraged :p

By the way if you already downloaded the client and connected to Dal Net, all you have to do is type /join #gtam and press ENTER. If you find that too complicated, follow hewathe's advice. It looks like it's fairly easy, but I don't bother with it :cool:

And I'm the only one in the mibbit gtam chatroom. Awesome.

No there's four of us there lol

Make sure you're connected to the correct server (DAL). If you're on the wrong server, you're in the wrong #gtam. :)

Back
Top Bottom