S.O.A.R. Southern Ontario Association of Racing | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

S.O.A.R. Southern Ontario Association of Racing

Had a great time this weekend, and even though I got DNF's in both of my classes I still had a blast.

Thanks to Ken, Tracy and all of the staff that helped out this weekend.

Thanks to all of the marshalls, you guys did a great job :p.

Thanks to Brad from Pro6 Cycles for helping me with my bike issues.

Cant wait till June

Last edited:
Big Congrats to our own Dan Dubeau in winning his first ever feature race in Lost Era.

Just found this pic
IMGP9575.JPG

SOAR did a great job with round #1. It was a top class weekend in my books. Thank to the SOAR Group and the Marshall's.

I had a good weekend:

Heats

Novice Superbike 1st.
Novice Open Sprint 1st.
Novice 600 Extreme 2nd.

Finals

Novice Superbike 1st. (4th outright with Experts)
Novice Open Sprint 1st. (3rd outright with Experts)
Novice 600 Extreme 3rd. (6th outright with Experts)

Novice 600 race the air temp was 6C and the track temp was 4C. Too cold to push. Superbike race was a blast, I had 3rd outright after Buzby crashed until lap 12 of 15 when James passed me on his 1000rr.

Hope to see more ppl out during the season.

Big Congrats to our own Dan Dubeau in winning his first ever feature race in Lost Era.

Just found this pic

Thanks John. It was a great race. And very tough. 747 on the ZX7 put up a hell of a fight. It's going to be a tough year for me and the F3 in lost era, and even tougher in rookie. Alot of good racers out there, and it didn't matter where in the pack you were there were good battles.

Was a great weekend all around, and a big thanks to the SOAR crew, TMP crew, the Marshal crew, Dave and Bridgestone tires for keeping me shiney side up all weekend, Tracy for all her hard work, and of course the biggest thanks goes out to Ken. All your hard work is starting to pay off, and without you I wouldn't have been out there. You've worked your *** off to get SOAR where it is, and you deserve a big thanks from me and everybody that came out this weekend to watch and participate in some great racing.

Just found this pic
IMGP9575.JPG

You can see the smile. Good pic....Better race! Congrats!

I too have to comment on how great the weekend was. Here I am at work looking out the window at the great weather and I can't help but wonder WTF??? Where was this weather all weekend!

With the exception of the rain on Saturday and near sub zero temperature on Sunday, the inaugural SOAR weekend was a major success. Dan and I spent a bit of time walking around to the pits to talk to as many riders as we could to see if we could do anything to improve the weekend. Seemed that everyone was happy with how things were going. If you were there and have some feedback, please feel free to send it to either Ken (kneedragger88 ), Dan Dubeau, Al (robbjr), or myself. We would love to hear your thoughts on what we did right and what we can do differently in June (already looking forward to it).

A number of thank you's have already been posted, but one more to mention is to Lindsay Thompson. He did a great job on the announcing as well as at the awards presentation.

See you all in June, but I hope to hear from you sooner.

MY hat is off to you Ken for a job well done.

I came out and saw some improvements, some cool ideas (the finish line was neato) and some good racing.

Hopefully, one day, I can get a bike, learn how to ride it, and I'd be pleased to duke it out on track.

Further, I hope the weather works out better for the rest of the season (damn, I am a human, not a meat popsicle in a freezer) and the turn out is better for the racers. Be cool to see some 30+ bike fields, cause the racing was close even with what came out this weekend.

So...how'd you do Dave?

Well Saturday in the heat races all went well, I finish the 600 extreme and open classes as well as could be expected, that is at or near the back of the pack. The rookie race started off really well and for one very brief moment I was in second and then settled in to third, then my stupid Gixxer decided to throw an FI code and go into dealer mode causing the bike to turn on and off repeatedly, FUN! Basically like riding a pogo stick, two guys pass me and I finish in 5th. (Still not that bad, considering in dealer mode the bike has something like 70hp and wouldn't let me pass 12-13k rpms.)

On Sunday morning I wiped the ECU started the bike up, it ran great, got 30 feet onto the track during practice and bam she shut off and that was that for the day, Ken had to come out and get me. I spent 3-4 hours trying everything I know how to get it going, there's a wire shorting out somewhere! I was about ready to drop the thing off at the dump last night! :D

If I can get this bike running right and my suspension half decent (it's factory stock right now) then I might have a decent chance to race for the rookie cup.

So to answer your question: So...how'd you do Dave?
I think I sucked, but other say I did well so it's somewhere in between the two. (Certainly didn't live up to the Picotte family name :laughing8:)

That kinda sucks Dave...about the bike issues. So what kind of lap time ranges were in rookie cup? I still can't believe that you did one trackday and decided it was time to race...lol, that's why I wanted to know how you did :p I would have loved to join the woman's series ( I actually even pushed Ken to get a series going) but with this whole recession thing going on, I'm only working part-time, but if I get full time...I'm so in! :)

I would have loved to join the woman's series ( I actually even pushed Ken to get a series going) but with this whole recession thing going on, I'm only working part-time, but if I get full time...I'm so in! :)

Get your butt in there... send the man to work to pay for your racing...

On second though... both of you should be in it.

Get your butt in there... send the man to work to pay for your racing...

On second though... both of you should be in it.

James is working 9am to 9pm actually, bike guys want there motorcycles back!

I'd be in 100% if I had full time work, James on the other hand says he's too old, yet too young for the "older" group...lol.

James is working 9am to 9pm actually, bike guys want there motorcycles back!

I'd be in 100% if I had full time work, James on the other hand says he's too old, yet too young for the "older" group...lol.

Tell him he would be fine.. and to get in the BOTT... he will have a blast.

From what I remember the qualifying round the rookie cup times ranged from 1:21 - 1:50.

I haven't seen the actual race times yet.

From what I remember the qualifying round the rookie cup times ranged from 1:21 - 1:50.

I haven't seen the actual race times yet.

Just to add on to that, the range is so large because there was a young girl out on her CBR125RR, she was flying as hard as that bike would go and keeping up really good corner speed, but in the end it's still just 125cc. I'd say the 600's were in the 1:21-1:27 range, pretty darn quick for the first rookie round. :)

I was pleased with how I did ... would have done better in the actual race if I didn't have to use the run off on the one corner (couldn't get the bike settled for the corner after the front wheel came down). Lost the battle for second after that incident and spent the rest of the race playing catch up and finished fifth.
I only registered for the rookie in round one, I'm going to add at least the 600 race to that for round two.

I ran in the BOTT middleweight on my SV..I think my best time of the weekend was 1:27. I had intended on running rookie, but after my bonehead start (or non-start if you prefer to call it :banghead: ) in the qualifier on Saturday, my bike was not ready for the rookie race.

Thanks to DaveP and Aloyas (Loyd) I was able to get the bike ready for the Sunday race. Towards the end of the Bott race I lost all traction in my tires and fell way off the pace. The rookie race was right after the BOTT and I didn't have time for new tires, and didn't want to risk another run.

Lesson learned: 9 laps at VIR + 2 track days + a 3 hour endurance race + the SOAR test day+ a race school + saturday practice + Sunday practice and a Race is about 3 laps too many, even at my slow pace.

Back
Top Bottom